• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While that might be hyperbole, CTR was waaaay better than it had any right to be.

It was a legit good game.

a few years ago a friend and i whipped out his old ps1 stash

we played crash team racing and toy story racing

toy story racing was better

but it still sucked

Myggen

But man, there really isn't anything Jeff loves more than telling you how he doesn't like something. I haven't watched the Quick Look, but you will never ever ever find a mention of Metroid Prime in the history of Giant Bomb in Jeff's presence where he doesn't mention how he doesn't like them.

But isn't he supposed to do that at Giant Bomb? Like, it's been his job since he started GB?

DoctorZ

But isn't he supposed to do that at Giant Bomb? Like, it's been his job since he started GB?

I don't understand the recent Jeff criticisms to be honest. Have people not been following the site or his work at GS? He loves to shit on games he either doesn't care about, doesn't like, or objectively thinks are bad games. It's one of the many reasons I go to GB, people like Jeff being honest and shitting on games he doesn't like.

BigAT

The whole issue of what should/shouldn't happen to your digital life after you've died is a strange one.

A guy I went to high school with died in an accident. His mom has access to his Facebook account and will occasionally post things (including pictures) from his account.

It is never not weird.

Xater

Man that MK8 QL bored me to tears. It's still all the same progression rubberbanding and all that other shit. I stopped caring about new Mario Karts after the Gamecube one and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Megasoum

Banned
Drew is killing it in the bombcast so far.

I gotta say, I've not always been a huge fan of Alex but they combo they have this week really works great.

Drew is killing it in the bombcast so far.

I gotta say, I've not always been a huge fan of Alex but they combo they have this week really works great.

I've been a long time supporter of Drew. Glad to see him coming into his own, he had nothing but an uphill battle being a defacto 'replacement' for Ryan (because, come on, there is no such thing), and happy to see him carving out a niche.

While I quite like the kart customisation stuff, I wish the characters' weights weren't a factor. I just want to pick Yoshi, don't make second guess myself, he's my character dammit.

They have to do something about that battle mode in MK8, though. It was the thing that kept me coming back to MK64 back in the day even if the tracks weren't the best or the game felt slow in general.

at least it was better than that gamecube mk garbage

That was going to be my second point of skepticism on their remarks. Maybe I'm the outlier but taking it to a friends' place over the weekend for some races with people who don't typically play video games it wasn't an issue at all. People buttoned through in seconds and didn't really give it a second thought.

They realized that parts had stats differences?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man that MK8 QL bored me to tears. It's still all the same progression rubberbanding and all that other shit. I stopped caring about new Mario Karts after the Gamecube one and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Same here.

The game tries so, so hard to give the impression that there's awesome shit happening all around, that it's often cleverly disguising the dull-as-rocks core racing mechanics.

Who cares about skilled driving when a randomized powerup can negate everything in a millisecond. Who cares about taking out the other karts when they are still going to be rubber-banding their way to the pack regardless. It's a dumb romp 'till the final round, because that's where everything is decided anyway.

Jeff said it right, it takes the Mario Party approach to racing games.
Accessible, sure. But is it fun beyond a day or two? Not to me. Not without a couch full of friends.

Jintor

Accessible, sure. But is it fun beyond a day or two? Not to me. Not without a couch full of friends.

That's a big improvement over Sonic Transformed which was boring to me no matter what way I played it, aside from the references.

I feel like what a kart racing game needs is some kind of skilled way to negate homing missile power-ups through fancy driving or something. I don't have a good idea of how you'd do it though. Frankly, in racing games there's nothing more boring to me than the lap where you're just clearly ahead of all your opposition; it's way more entertaining slamming it out for position at the head of a tight-knit pack. But I don't know how you'd do it...

Brashnir

Mario Kart is what would happen to Soccer/Football if you gave the trailing team a penalty kick every 6 minutes.

Mario Kart is what would happen to Basketball if you gave the trailing team a free throw to start every possession.

Mario Kart is what would happen to Baseball if you gave the trailing team a free baserunner every inning for each run they were behind.

Sure, the more skilled teams would still manage to win more often than bad teams, but the sports wouldn't be taken seriously anymore.

Same here.

The game tries so, so hard to give the impression that there's awesome shit happening all around, that it's often cleverly disguising the dull-as-rocks core racing mechanics.

Who cares about skilled driving when a randomized powerup can negate everything in a millisecond. Who cares about taking out the other karts when they are still going to be rubber-banding their way to the pack regardless. It's a dumb romp 'till the final round, because that's where everything is decided anyway.

If only there was some way to play with humans without there being a full couch of people, where there's no AI rubberbanding. Hmmmmm

Still doesn't account for, 'here's your super item because you're in last place. No one's a loser in Mario Kart!'

Except for all of the people who lose, because they're worse at the game than the people who win?

Seriously, the comparison to Mario Party is completely overblown. The overwhelming majority of the time, the guys who win or even place at Mario Kart actually win because they drove better. This isn't 2003 and playing Double Dash on 150cc against the cheating CPU.

So the last few posts have reached the unimaginable conclusion that Mario Kart is at its best as a couch multiplayer game that isn't taken seriously.

daydream

Banned
Still doesn't account for, 'here's your super item because you're in last place. No one's a loser in Mario Kart!'

Except in MK8 it's 'hey you're 11th, have a mushroom' or 'hmm 9th, a green shell will do'. The item distribution is nothing like it used to be. Do your research!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom