• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Does anyone remember if modnation racers was a good kart game? I remember buying it because of the track creation stuff, had some fun with the actual racing but couldn't continue playing it because the load times were excruciating.

graboids

"Kart Racing peaked with Crash Team Racing."

*fart noise*

for me it peaked in 2006...

188551-258969636_751bc6ebac.jpg

MK8 is definitely fun. Even with the rubber banding. Even with the blue shells. Even with getting hit by your own green shell on a terrible rebound. Even with snaking or hopping.

Don't need to win. The game is a slot machine. Sometimes you win, most of the time you lose. But, that time you do win and don't get hit by the blue shell or get passed by the hopper or fall off those turns on Rainbow Road, it can still be very, very fun in the process. At least to me.

Xater

MK8 is definitely fun. Even with the rubber banding. Even with the blue shells. Even with getting hit by your own green shell on a terrible rebound. Even with snaking or hopping.

Don't need to win. The game is a slot machine. Sometimes you win, most of the time you lose. But, that time you do win and don't get hit by the blue shell or get passed by the hopper or fall off those turns on Rainbow Road, it can still be very, very fun in the process. At least to me.

That's not what I am looking for in my games though. Luck to me is one of the worst elements in games. That's why even in board games I go for games that have the least luck in them because I don't want to be shafted when I am good.

That's not what I am looking for in my games though. Luck to me is one of the worst elements in games. That's why even in board games I go for games that have the least luck in them because I don't want to be shafted when I am good.

But, do you play anything with an RNG element? Same idea.

JamboGT

I have to say I am not finding it that tough, only missing one 3 star rank on mirror, if you get ahead it is easy enough to stay there, but if you get mired in the pack it can become a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks Jimmyfenix, will have a look at that over the next few weeks as I have a look through the premium stuff.

Xater

But, do you play anything with an RNG element? Same idea.

Except for Hearthstone (and even there it's debatable) I don't think I play any game where RNG can fuck you as much as in MK.

Like I said though that's not my only complaint about the MK series though. I also hate the SP progression. In all these years they could not come up with something better than being first in every Grand Prix. It's super lazy game design.

ultron87

It isn't even that RNG dependent. If you play in the same room for awhile online the same people end up in the top spots quite consistently.

Except for Hearthstone (and even there it's debatable) I don't think I play any game where RNG can fuck you as much as in MK.

I dunno, I play Diablo 3, and the amount of time one can put into caches trying to get the perfect Royal Ring of Grandeur or something is fairly epic. Diablo 3 flips you off at almost every conceivable turn. But, then you get the good roll....

Myggen

I dunno, I play Diablo 3, and the amount of time one can put into caches trying to get the perfect Royal Ring of Grandeur or something is fairly epic. Diablo 3 flips you off at almost every conceivable turn. But, then you get the good roll....

The amount of time I spent doing Baal runs in Diablo II...

Curufinwe

It's pretty rough in XCOM when your Colonel misses on a 95% chance to hit and then gets killed. It's why I don't bother with Ironman.

Haunted

Except for all of the people who lose, because they're worse at the game than the people who win?

Seriously, the comparison to Mario Party is completely overblown. The overwhelming majority of the time, the guys who win or even place at Mario Kart actually win because they drove better. This isn't 2003 and playing Double Dash on 150cc against the cheating CPU.
Just look at the results in the QL, small sample size, but they were perfectly fine. Alex played the longest, dominated. Jeff was pretty lacklustre and finished 5th-8th and Brad was being Brad and got 11th or whatever.

That's a fairly accurate representation of the skill I've seen involved. People talking about the luck factor in MK8 exaggerate. There are some wild swings in the last lap in some races, but they're generally pretty rare. It's a well balanced game where skill ultimately decides the outcome in most races, especially across a series of races like a cup or two.

edit: now that it's come up, Hearthstone is much more luck dependent as a game at all levels of play.

Xater

It's pretty rough in XCOM when your Colonel misses on a 95% chance to hit and then gets killed. It's why I don't bother with Ironman.

The difference with RNG like that is it usually doesn't destroy my whole game. I can adapt my strategy etc. If I get hit by a blue shell in the last round I am most likely fucked. And even when people say it doesn't happen that often it happens often enough to anger me to no end.

Anyone who yammers on about luck in mario kart is just nowhere as good as they think they are, or has very little clue what they're talking about.

Go join the gaf tourney. After your third 12th place in a row you'll go "huh maybe skill does factor into this game".

komplanen

I love MK8 but agree with Jeff a 100%. I don't see myself having fun with the game for more than maybe a week or two now that my personal skill and map knowledge is as high as they'll get. Just yesterday I had three matches in a row with gaffers where I was top 3 for most of the race and then got completely robbed by a series of no-skill power ups. Six people overtaking me in the last stretch just because I rolled a coin and someone rolled a red shell isn't fun for long. Also if I roll a Bullet Bill and go from 8th place to 2nd place it doesn't feel that good.

daydream

Banned
Anyone who yammers on about luck in mario kart is just nowhere as good as they think they are, or has very little clue what they're talking about.

Go join the gaf tourney. After your third 12th place in a row you'll go "huh maybe skill does factor into this game".

#truthshells

komplanen

This makes no sense. The RNG is exactly the same for GAF matches as it is for anything else. People are seriously good an it ups the challenge by a consoderable amount but the no-skill power ups still fuck people just as bad regardless of how good they are or what forum they're from. You can't skillfully dodge a blue shell or skillfully recover from it and the game still favors the last places in terms of items which is detrimental to skill based gaming. MK8 is hugely afffected by RNG and sheltering mechanics.

Zaph

This weeks Lobby (Gamespot) is not good... pity was starting to enjoy that in recent weeks

Really? I thought it was okay. The British guy with the glasses was pretty funny.

You guys raised my expectations way too high regarding Jeff in the MK8 QL. He just seems indefferent, even going so far as to say he sort of wishes he'd like the game.
Shocking, people are overreacting to a less that positive impression of a Nintendo game?

You guys raised my expectations way too high regarding Jeff in the MK8 QL. He just seems indefferent, even going so far as to say he sort of wishes he'd like the game.

That Wario booty discussion, however.. I'm sure quick looks wtih Vinny and Alex will be just fine.

You can't skillfully dodge a blue shell or skillfully recover from it.

In Mario Kart DS you totally can dodge the blue shell.

Also, you can kind of "skillfully recover" from one, or at least mitigate the damage! If you see a blue shell being held, you can try and drop a peel or shoot a green shell behind you to increase the odds of 2nd place having to dodge or get hit, and if 2nd place is close enough to you, you can actually slow down and ensure that you both get hit so that they can't zoom ahead while you're stunned.

The items in Mario Kart create opportunities and risks for the players; they very rarely actually win or lose a race alone.

daydream

Banned
This makes no sense. The RNG is exactly the same for GAF matches as it is for anything else. People are seriously good an it ups the challenge by a consoderable amount but the no-skill power ups still fuck people just as bad regardless of how good they are or what forum they're from. You can't skillfully dodge a blue shell or skillfully recover from it.

Getting hit by blue shell is not the end of the match. People have gotten hit by more than only one blue shell in a game and ended up still winning (without being overtaken). I've done it myself.

Also, sitting in 2nd-4th till the last round is a legitimate strategy btw. But since you seem to consider yourself the end-all, be-all Mario Kart player, I don't need to tell you that.

komplanen

In Mario Kart DS you totally can dodge the blue shell.

Also, you can kind of "skillfully recover" from one, or at least mitigate the damage! If you see a blue shell being held, you can try and drop a peel or shoot a green shell behind you to increase the odds of 2nd place having to dodge or get hit, and if 2nd place is close enough to you, you can actually slow down and ensure that you both get hit so that they can't zoom ahead while you're stunned.

Other than the DS thing which doesn't work in MK8 I have to point out that what you describe as skillful mitigation is still just as dependant on RNG as anything. I'm not saying all 1st place item rolls are coins but it's not exactly something you can count on to have peels or shells.

Of course people should realize (and be skillful) that you should always save peels, shells and shrooms and not just use them like you don't care. Having a shroom makes recovery faster and peels negate red shells if you time them properly.

Getting hit by blue shell is not the end of the match. People have gotten hit by more than only one blue shell in a game and ended up still winning (without being overtaken). I've done it myself.

Also, sitting in 2nd-4th till the last round is a legitimate strategy btw. But since you seem to consider yourself the end-all, be-all Mario Kart player, I don't need to tell you that.

Getting hhit by a blue shell is the end of the match if people time it well. Of course there's always the lap 1 blue shells that mean nothing in the end.

Hanging below the 1st is a sound strategy but it is effectively just hoping for blue shells instead of red ones. A 4-5th place racer with three red shells will fuck you up and down the ladder you fall :)

Myggen

That Wario booty discussion, however.. I'm sure quick looks wtih Vinny and Alex will be just fine.

Yeah. Jeff being pretty indifferent about a franchise he's been indifferent about for forever, and saying that it looks good visually but just isn't for him doesn't seem like a big deal. At least not a big enough deal for people to pull the "jaded and cynical" card. I expected the entire QL to just be Jeff sighing after what some people said on here.

Anyways, maybe Ryckert will somehow be the third guy driving to LA from SF with Jeff and Alex even though he said he's not going? Maybe?

and if 2nd place is close enough to you, you can actually slow down and ensure that you both get hit so that they can't zoom ahead while you're stunned.

Not to give away my moves, but, that's my move. If a blue shell is coming my way and I'm in front, I slam the brakes.

daydream

Banned
Getting hhit by a blue shell is the end of the match if people time it well. Of course there's always the lap 1 blue shells that mean nothing in the end.

Hanging below the 1st is a sound strategy but it is effectively just hoping for blue shells instead of red ones. A 4-5th place racer with three red shells will fuck you up and down the ladder you fall :)

The fact remains that people have consistently great results against strong competition. Sorry!

graboids

I think Alex just said on Mixlr that they have to pick up the special guest for Saturday's drive to LA from the airport before they leave... maybe I misheard...

Quentyn

I think Alex just said on Mixlr that they have to pick up the special guest for Saturday's drive to LA from the airport before they leave... maybe I misheard...

Yep, they said the same on the podcast. There is also a possible second guest that agreed to join while drunk. Should be a fun stream.

Gestault

While that might be hyperbole, CTR was waaaay better than it had any right to be.

It was a legit good game.

This I absolutely agree with. I still raise an eyebrow though any time people ask loaded questions like "Has MK8 taken back the throne from [whatever]?"

I'm obviously referring to the Sega All-Stars Racing community, but it would apply to any game that has neither critically nor in terms of popularity approached what another series has consistently managed. CTR was fantastic.

Man the Battle mode looks like shiiiiiiiiiit

I assure you, it's more underwhelming than you can possibly imagine.

Zaph

Anyone listening to mixlr? Did Jeff say that even he won't be going to the live conferences? Because he didn't sound too convinced about the idea.

Was hoping they'd do something like the console reveal, with a crew commentating live then a Skype-in with Jeff's impressions of stuff the cameras can't pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom