• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair. With Adam Boyes in the room pulling weird mockup PS4's out his backpack I dont think anyone other then a few GAFers had a problem with that part of the podcast

I mean what the hell are they going to ask Evilore?

"So hey. I know we have one of the big stars of this E3 here with us and they have smuggled prototype hardware out just for us but I would really like to know who Evilore would want to be his Giant Bomb dad?"

Relistening to old hotspots and you know what?I'm all for the bombcast bringing in caller questions.

It would be the absolute worst. Other people ruin things.

At worst they would have to spend time going through stuff beforehand. And considering the dude who left that vile message when Patrick was gathering calls, I would stay as far away as possible from that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It would be the absolute worst. Other people ruin things.

At worst they would have to spend time going through stuff beforehand. And considering the dude who left that vile message when Patrick was gathering calls, I would stay as far away as possible from that.

Eh, can't be worse than what emails they get already.

I'm not saying taking them live of course, I meant recorded calls like on the hotspot where they would filter beforehand. Some absolute gold.

I think it could be pretty fun.

Eh, can't be worse than what emails they get already.

I'm not saying taking them live of course, I meant recorded calls like on the hotspot where they would filter beforehand. Some absolute gold.

I think it could be pretty fun.

Still. Having to potentially filter through calls saying "Wish it was you instead of Ryan" doesn't sound like a great way to spend a work week. Even if it is to get some gold out of it in the end, the cost of it just doesn't seem worth it.

And looking away from the emotional side of it. It would probably also take our valuable work time to listen through all the calls.

Still. Having to potentially filter through calls saying "Wish it was you instead of Ryan" doesn't sound like a great way to spend a work week. Even if it is to get some gold out of it in the end, the cost of it just doesn't seem worth it.

And looking away from the emotional side of it. It would probably also take our valuable work time to listen through all the calls.

Yup fuck that guy who said that

ev0

Thought you'd guys like to see this new pizza (abomination?) you can get here in NYC this month.

Jackson-Heights-Pizza.June_.2014.PBC_.jpg

Renpatsu

Not really the same since they would be able to screen the calls to the podcast. But still, yeah, no calls.

I guess it might have to do with the cult of personality that Giant Bomb have cultivated over the years. Listening to The Hotspot the audience was much more neutral to the people present (although even then you could tell they were fans) and as such the questions really were legitimate questions as opposed to people attempting to one up one another to have their voice heard.

Legitimate fears that an audience calls section would devolve into a a hive of trolling and therefore shouldn't be considered is akin to 'giving in the trolls' as Patrick has put it in his various talks.

I'd like to think that Giant Bomb fans (or really people in general) are much more rational than that, but that could just be wishful thinking.

Thought you'd guys like to see this new pizza (abomination?) you can get here in NYC this month.

I could down that.

Hi, is this Giant Bomb? Hehe, Australia sucks, meme reference, obscure reference to something that happened on the site 3 years ago, question about Endurance Run, Cool Baby, Brad is bad at games, goodbye. Click.

Subtext - Will you be my friends? I'm funny and just like you!

Over and over again, until eternity.

Garnett is doing calls for his damn podcast - and it works well for him. All calls filtered, and sometimes edited by him. Is not annoying in any way. Calls can work.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Hi, is this Giant Bomb? Hehe, Australia sucks, meme reference, obscure reference to something that happened on the site 3 years ago, question about Endurance Run, Cool Baby, Brad is bad at games, goodbye. Click.

Subtext - Will you be my friends? I'm funny and just like you!

Over and over again, until eternity.

At some point the guys themselves are responsible for encouraging people to run stuff into the ground. The beef emails went on a couple weeks too long. At least half of those emails were probably from people with no connection to any of the countries involved, just people who strung enough insults together to be amusing to jeff.

chogidogs

The only acceptable phone call is Optimus Prime or Sylvester Stalone telling you what the top 10 upcoming video games on Gamespot are.

Renpatsu

If you want to see haters check the morpheus on falon thread. They just do not understand Greg.

Okay, yeah, that's unfortunate. It's not like Jeff is jaded about gaming as a whole, just a specific part of it (and what he is excited about is happening in Indie games... and MKX)

However I thought Jeff also has a Rift?

he has shown an ambivalence towards some pretty well-loved franchises recently (Mario Kart, Smash). If you want to see some salt, look no further than the comments on the MK Quick look!

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record bringing up the Hotspot so much, but this was pretty much the case way back in 2007. Mario Kart (or maybe Nintendo in general) just isn't his jam.

I'd hate it if I got offended whenever GB dismissed any of my favourite games (which happens pretty often).

Myggen

Okay, yeah, that's unfortunate. It's not like Jeff is jaded about gaming as a whole, just a specific part of it (and what he is excited about is happening in Indie games... and MKX)

However I thought Jeff also has a Rift?

I think the reason for why "Jeff is jaded" has been brought up again so much recently, look at the recent Bombcast thread for examples, is because people are frustrated that Vinny has left SF and probably won't be on the Bombcast as a regular anymore. So people fear that Jeff's relative cynicism won't be balanced out by anyone now that Vinny's gone. I think Ryckert will be that person if he's hired, but that's still not a sure thing.

He hasn't really become more jaded, it's people's love for Vinny and that he has shown an ambivalence towards some pretty well-loved franchises recently (Mario Kart, Smash). If you want to see some salt, look no further than the comments on the MK Quick look!

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record bringing up the Hotspot so much, but this was pretty much the case way back in 2007. Mario Kart (or maybe Nintendo in general) just isn't his jam.

I'd hate it if I got offended whenever GB dismissed any of my favourite games (which happens pretty often).

His "Smash Brothers isn't a real fighting game, fuck ya'll" and "Mario Kart is dumb" stance has been known for years, and he says it pretty much every time those franchises are brought up. So no, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, I just think it's futile to worry about other people's taste.

Jeff doesn't like blazblue or guilty gear (not to mention dozens of games I like) and that's fine with me.

Liamc723

I had to re-subscribe to premium because my debit card was rejected last month, and the message you get from the Duders is still hilarious, Vinny's "It's a girl!" gets me every time.

Xater

Garnett is doing calls for his damn podcast - and it works well for him. All calls filtered, and sometimes edited by him. Is not annoying in any way. Calls can work.

You know what that sounds like? Extra work that could be used somewhere else that is more important.

kingocfs

I dunno, I just think it's futile to worry about other people's taste.

Jeff doesn't like blazblue or guilty gear (not to mention dozens of games I like) and that's fine with me.

Not to mention Jeff has always been consistent with his opinions, which is why I can respect him so much.

Rapstah

Weren't they going to split the podcast back when they first started doing subscriptions too? Did anyone ever figure out what that split was going to be? I guess the difference this time is people wouldn't be paying for the part without hot news.

Right?

Haunted

Jackson-Heights-Pizza.June_.2014.PBC_.jpg
Leave it to America to make a universally loved Italian dish look like disgusting shit.

edit: though South America one-upped you, saw a Pizza made with chocolate used as a dessert there once. psyduck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom