• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyxc

I've got a shtick and strawman! This is a good week... if I can barter them for Pogs.

"People" (I'm still not sure this isn't the Matrix) put the hate on Kleptok because he jumps in head first and just goes with it. This enthusiasm has varying effects on his product, of course, but some constructs of the Matrix just hate enthusiasm that is rewarded. "I'm logical and way smarter than this frizzy-haired spaz! I even wear my Spock costume outdoors! Why isn't [enter cool website here] hiring me?!?" Yeah, well, your writing is boring and your Spock costume smells like onion bagels. That's why you're not getting hired.

Now if you excuse me, I was using my shtick as a plunger and now it's stuck in the toilet, so I need to call Mel Brooks for advice. The strawman gave me Mel's number. He's such a pal!

I've got a shtick and strawman! This is a good week... if I can barter them for Pogs.

"People" (I'm still not sure this isn't the Matrix) put the hate on Kleptok because he jumps in head first and just goes with it. This enthusiasm has varying effects on his product, of course, but some constructs of the Matrix just hate enthusiasm that is rewarded. "I'm logical and way smarter than this frizzy-haired spaz! I even wear my Spock costume outdoors! Why isn't [enter cool website here] hiring me?!?" Yeah, well, your writing is boring and your Spock costume smells like onion bagels. That's why you're not getting hired.

Now if you excuse me, I was using my shtick as a plunger and now it's stuck in the toilet, so I need to call Mel Brooks for advice. The strawman gave me Mel's number. He's such a pal!

I am not sure I understand you but I am pretty sure I like you

I like the cut of your jib.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Vinny's comic corner. Now that's comedy. A re-paste for people on a new page:

2613689-rift2_001.png

Mr. F

Banned
I love him on camera or the bombcast with the rest of the crew. I don't care for most of the stuff he does alone.

Yeah, I don't mind him with the others but alone or even bombing in the AM is a bit much sometimes. I enjoy his writing for the most part but when speaking I think he's pretty bad at succinctly talking about a point. Kind of becomes an echo chamber of overexplaining things if there aren't enough people to bounce off of.

Zaph

It's a mentality that too many people on here (and in the gaming community at large) have with everything related to games. "ZOMG Kickstarter game looking for free money, *I* could code for less than that, even though I've never coded in my life."

And Patrick does a great job of touching on issues/games that usually only see super long-form work done on Gamasutra; he's the only person that presents the kind of material that he does on the website, so I definitely don't understand why people get angry and even offended (as if suggesting he's stealing your $50 subscription fee).
It's just an age and experience thing. And this is a video game forum, so it's bound to skew younger.

As they get older, and have all enthusiasm kicked out of them by the realities of the business world, they'll realise that no, $300,000 does not go far at all, and yes, successfully bringing a disruptive consumer electronics device to market requires the backing of juggernauts unless you want your competitors to pass you by.

Sony has been experimenting with VR for decades, and yes, they released those cute photos showing janky prototypes over the last 3 years, but the fact they caught up with the "revolutionary" Rift so quickly is all you need to know regarding why a buyout was necessary. It's now or never for Oculus.

But at the same time, seeing the video game press jump all over consumer reactions to the buyout and criticizing them like they're unexpected or unique to the gaming community is hilarious. Look how people react when their favourite local, independent coffee shop gets bought by Starbucks. Or when their favourite band signs with a major label. This shit is 100% expected and completely natural. There is no story here. Gamers are not whiny or entitled, they're human.

It's a mentality that too many people on here (and in the gaming community at large) have with everything related to games. "ZOMG Kickstarter game looking for free money, *I* could code for less than that, even though I've never coded in my life."

And Patrick does a great job of touching on issues/games that usually only see super long-form work done on Gamasutra; he's the only person that presents the kind of material that he does on the website, so I definitely don't understand why people get angry and even offended (as if suggesting he's stealing your $50 subscription fee).

That mentality is not limited to the gaming community. This is seen in every Internet fan community that includes people working in "the industry" and making themselves public.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
god I love when vinny and brad lose it and start laughing, it gets me laughing aswell. that metal sound effect from Betrayer, oh man...

Yeah, I don't mind him with the others but alone or even bombing in the AM is a bit much sometimes. I enjoy his writing for the most part but when speaking I think he's pretty bad at succinctly talking about a point. Kind of becomes an echo chamber of overexplaining things if there aren't enough people to bounce off of.

I agree but I'd add that I think it's a rare thing for a person to be great at talking in a vacuum. It almost always works better with other people and opinions. Jeff however I would say is one of the few people I've seen with this gift. Everytime he just talk alone about a subject, it really works.

Iron Galaxy is taking over KI?

At least they are getting work. I was wondering what was going to happen to them once the "We need someone to port this Unreal Engine game to PS3" work went away.

Xater

Guessing that was the announcement John was trying to fish out of Dave on the GDC stream?

Probably. Iron Galaxy are a great pick for this.

At least they are getting work. I was wondering what was going to happen to them once the "We need someone to port this Unreal Engine game to PS3" work went away.

They do more than that. I doubt they have much trouble finding work.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Guessing that was the announcement John was trying to fish out of Dave on the GDC stream?

I think we should all applaud Dave Lang then for not saying anything during the show. I've always said he's a model example of professionalism that we should all aspire to reach, and the GDC Giant Bomb show just proves it.

I think we should all applaud Dave Lang then for not saying anything during the show. I've always said he's a model example of professionalism that we should all aspire to reach, and the GDC Giant Bomb show just proves it.

Lord, when he brought up Windjammers I fucking lost it. That whole section of the GDC streams was the best.

RE_Player

Super glad they are getting work. KI, Borderlands Vita and other support jobs allow them to do crazy shit live Divekick. I too was worried as most of their projects seemed to be helping people figure out how to make Unreal work well on PS3.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Super glad they are getting work. KI, Borderlands Vita and other support jobs allow them to do crazy shit live Divekick. I too was worried as most of their projects seemed to be helping people figure out how to make Unreal work well on PS3.
I imagine that could pay pretty well. They always have like seven "unannounced" projects with big names on their website.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Has been there ever since the day after the stream. :p

This may very well be true, but I didn't see it until today so it didn't matter or happen until today. That's just the way it works.

Alternate post: SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Megasoum

Banned
I'm having a blank right now... What's the song that Brad uses for a ringtone? I know I know it but I just can'T remember.

Edit: NVM I'm dumb, it's the Portal song.

Brashnir

im not watching the betrayer quick look as im interested in it

im making a good choice right?

I think they start right at the beginning of the game, so nothing deep into the game is spoiled, but obviously the first section of the game is shown.

However, you'd be doing yourself a favor if you skipped ahead to 55:23 in the video and watched from there for a minute or two.

popo

Escape Goat 2 highlights how small indie games are getting decent coverage these days - I never know EG1 even existed and I bet it got next to no press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom