• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So I'm watching Patrick slowly falling to Lord Gamblor's madness.

Why does he run out of the room when there's a fly instead of killing it? Haven't played much of BoI so not sure what's happening.

Haven't seen a lot of Patrick's videos, but flies that spawn from slot machines or the shell game despawn when you leave the room. If he's closer to the door than the fly it just might be faster, and depending on what items you have a single fly can be more of a an annoyance to kill than it is worth to deal with.

Also, if you spawn a fly in a boss room from a slot machine that you placed using a card, leaving the room without killing the fly and walking back in will cause the boss to respawn so you can get more items. I don't imagine that's what he's doing here though.

FStop7

Banned
The Binding of Isaac is about 5% as interesting to watch as Spelunky was. And that's being generous. It's time to move on to a different game.

Curufinwe

Greg Kasavin is obviously in the right spot for him and for gamers.

But boy would I love to have him on the bombcast regularly. Seems like most of the times that Jeff doesn't care for a big name game from the past like FFX or RE4, Kasavin did the Gamespot review and loved it.

All I could think is that it kinda looked like Bari Bari Ball.

How it was created is kinda cool but it's really not that special.

Was thinking exactly this. You would think that taking suggestions from everyone, no matter how stupid, would result in something that wasn't just Bari Bari Ball.

Xater

Was thinking exactly this. You would think that taking suggestions from everyone, no matter how stupid, would result in something that wasn't just Bari Bari Ball.

I mean the scoring is a bit different and there is the weird rocket mechanic but other all still pretty similar.

I am also just now watching a Goat Simulator stream. If Vinny doesn't play this today I will be really disappointed. Shit is crazy. I just watched someone become king of goats and now he can summon underlings. Those are basically just dead goats falling out of the sky.

obonicus

But boy would I love to have him on the bombcast regularly. Seems like most of the times that Jeff doesn't care for a big name game from the past like FFX or RE4, Kasavin did the Gamespot review and loved it.

Brad seems to have loved those games too. And lately he seems to enjoy trolling Jeff by being hyperbolic in praise towards games Jeff hates.

Darklord

Banned
I love Alexis , but that dude has a much more casual word-filter than most of the staff. Like a few weeks back when he used "retard" as an insult and everyone was sort of miffed at him.

When you listen to the old podcasts they casually say "retarded" a bit. They just can't now because a corporation owns them and would have an issue with it. Alexis gives no fucks.

Mesoian

I used to love playing Dynasty Warriors games. I should try and get back in to it.

It's kind of hard to. I tried with the Sengoku Basara stuff not too long ago. Going through the story mode with a character once is fine, the concept of doing it up to 30 more times just...just no. I know there are people who love that kind of stuff but, it's not like the combat is so precise or demanding that each different fighting style is dramatically different or dangerous. It's just...xxx, xxy, xyx, full meter, burst, repeat, level.

People say that the evolution of the 2d brawler is dynasty warriors, I never bought that. I always thought it was the character action game, your Bayonettas your Devil May Crys, your Onimushas.

Mesoian

When you listen to the old podcasts they casually say "retarded" a bit. They just can't now because a corporation owns them and would have an issue with it. Alexis gives no fucks.

I know a lot of people in the industry decided to just stop saying the word because they didn't want to keep propagating connotations with people with mental handicaps as a casual slur. This place isn't the first place I've seen people get upset with people who use the word.

Still though...

demidar

It's kind of hard to. I tried with the Sengoku Basara stuff not too long ago. Going through the story mode with a character once is fine, the concept of doing it up to 30 more times just...just no. I know there are people who love that kind of stuff but, it's not like the combat is so precise or demanding that each different fighting style is dramatically different or dangerous. It's just...xxx, xxy, xyx, full meter, burst, repeat, level.

People say that the evolution of the 2d brawler is dynasty warriors, I never bought that. I always thought it was the character action game, your Bayonettas your Devil May Crys, your Onimushas.

To be honest, I don't even know why I liked it, just that I do. I know it's mindless and I enjoy my Bayonettas and my Devil May Cries for their robust combat engines but maybe I just enjoyed the simplicity of it?

I've heard Sengoku Basara is much better but I've never tried those games.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointed there wasn't a Vinnyvania this week.

Me too. I'm quite ready to get something other than Dark Souls.

I did love the Demons Souls and Dark Souls stuff for a while, but it really is time to move on from those games for a bit.

You know what I would really like to see Patrick do next? Dwarf Fortress. I know it's not really a roguelike per se but I think it'd be a lot more fun to watch than something like Dungeons of Dredmor or Don't Starve. We only got two episodes of Dave Fortress, we deserve a little more!

And also because I want to watch Patrick try to make sense of Dwarf Therapist.

yatesl

Dear Rorie,

It's "Final Fantasy 10", not "Final Fantasy X".

Also, he's dropping spoiler bombs all over the place. Feel sorry for anyone wanting to play 10 or 10-2, and watching this first.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
FFX-2 looks complete bonkers. Who worked on this?

Oh... Toriyama did huh? No wonder...
It's not that weird. I think it's maybe easier to just get if you're not as dismissive as they were during the Quick Look.

Mesoian

It's not that weird. I think it's maybe easier to just get if you're not as dismissive as they were during the Quick Look.

It is a super good game, but it's really really light hearted, especially when you put it directly next to FF10 who's theme is basically catering to those on their deathbed.

Coonce

Haven't seen a lot of Patrick's videos, but flies that spawn from slot machines or the shell game despawn when you leave the room. If he's closer to the door than the fly it just might be faster, and depending on what items you have a single fly can be more of a an annoyance to kill than it is worth to deal with.

Also, if you spawn a fly in a boss room from a slot machine that you placed using a card, leaving the room without killing the fly and walking back in will cause the boss to respawn so you can get more items. I don't imagine that's what he's doing here though.

He's leaving because he got a weapon that acts as a bomb. If he attacks the fly, it will blow up the machines thus not allowing him to continue gambling.

Funny how they start the FFX QL ruminating about "war-time profiteering" when that subject is actually broached by Rin on the Airship later on in the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It is a super good game, but it's really really light hearted, especially when you put it directly next to FF10 who's theme is basically catering to those on their deathbed.
Even though it's lighthearted it's not just being silly for the sake of it though.

Dear Rorie,

It's "Final Fantasy 10", not "Final Fantasy X".

Also, he's dropping spoiler bombs all over the place. Feel sorry for anyone wanting to play 10 or 10-2, and watching this first.

how many spoilers need to be dropped before that person gets the hint and leaves the QL?

Is that one of the ultra rare above head Bradley Shoemaker signatures?

GOTS TO GET DAT CHASE RARE, SON!

I wanna find out who got the Mythic Rare Alexis, though.

Ah man, did Rorie not sign your poster or am I just not seeing it?

Nah, he totes did, it's just that the light is hitting it in such a way as to make it invisible at that resolution! Click the pic to see it at full size.

Rorie's saying in the UPF chat that they'll "almost certainly never do signed posters again." Can't say I really blame 'em. Super glad I got one now though!

Even though it's lighthearted it's not just being silly for the sake of it though.

I felt that while the overall tone was okay, some of the changes in characterization were a bit much. Rikku goes from happy-go-lucky, and someone who's trying to buoy the others spirits in an otherwise drab world in FFX, to basically ditzy raver spaz in FFX-2.

Mesoian

...well...the main plot isn't.

There's a bunch of silly for silly's sake stuff in there too. Like Brother being a creeper for most of the game. And nearly everything dealing with LeBlanc.

For some reason, I had forgotten that LeBlanc's cronies were guys. I think I was getting FF10-2 and Gem and the Holograms mixed up.

I felt that while the overall tone was okay, some of the changes in characterization were a bit much. Rikku goes from happy-go-lucky, and someone who's trying to buoy the others spirits in an otherwise drab world in FFX, to basically ditzy raver spaz in FFX-2.

I actually thought it was the opposite, where she goes from this ever gleeming beacon of positivity to way more somber than ever because "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYS!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom