• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

So I'm watching Patrick slowly falling to Lord Gamblor's madness.

Why does he run out of the room when there's a fly instead of killing it? Haven't played much of BoI so not sure what's happening.
I think he had explosive shots in that particular run, so if he shot at the fly, he'd most likely also kill the little gambling guy as collateral damage.

Exiting and re-entering despawns the fly.

That was a proper UPF; silly games, Danny, and Rorie going full Rorie. I just wish they got someone new in the control room so both Drew and Vinny could stay on camera.

hamchan

Danny seems to be appearing quite often on the Giant Bomb stuff, more than anyone else working at Gamespot, so I'm already satisfied with that.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Honestly I could do with less Rorie on the streams. I just always find him irritating.

Rorie is fine, UPF could use a bigger group really with more established games instead of everyone trying to find a golden nugget in a mound of shit. Would be nothing wrong with them having tourneys of Tekken, SF etc........or last resort Killer Instinct.

hamchan

I think more preparation for UPF would be better instead of picking a random game off Steam or Desura without playing them. Or would that be too professional?

Either way, UPF is most enjoyable when they play something multiplayer based with each other, so I'd like to see more of that.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Yeah.

A bunch of people having fun playing games together is what I want to see. Sounds lame but yeah, I'm at a point where the people I work with and my friends are all different ages and all have different interests outside of gaming so seeing these guys do their thing and have fun is more than enough to entertain me.

Not saying they shouldn't try new things but yeah. If it's a bit weird like a horse care sim or something take the Vinny approach and try fuck it up.

Aaron

Danny seems to be appearing quite often on the Giant Bomb stuff, more than anyone else working at Gamespot, so I'm already satisfied with that.
His Lounge show is quite good if you haven't seen it already. There's also the F1 podcast, which is actually getting me into F1.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Yeah but it always seems so perfect and sooo easy. He already works there, just shift his desk a bit and.....
But whatever. I just hope they'll hire somebody soon, I know they do the best they can but they badly need some variety in the QL. Having Rorie on the FF one was a breath of fresh air

Rorie is fine, UPF could use a bigger group really with more established games instead of everyone trying to find a golden nugget in a mound of shit. Would be nothing wrong with them having tourneys of Tekken, SF etc........or last resort Killer Instinct.

Oh god no. Watching them play any fighting game is the most boring stuff on UPF. I'd much rather watch them play something obscure like Gang Beasts instead of just some stuff everybody else plays. That's why Brad's segments are mostly boring cause he always brings established games. Watching stuff like that weird Barbarian thing, or the other Desura games Vinny played is much more fun to me.

Heh, I figured people would disagree with my opinion on Rorie. That's just how I felt during the Whiskey Media days and probably even more so now. Just something about him rubs me the wrong way.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Yeah but it always seems so perfect and sooo easy. He already works there, just shift his desk a bit and.....
But whatever. I just hope they'll hire somebody soon, I know they do the best they can but they badly need some variety in the QL. Having Rorie on the FF one was a breath of fresh air

Oh god no. Watching them play any fighting game is the most boring stuff on UPF. I'd much rather watch them play something obscure like Gang Beasts instead of just some stuff everybody else plays. That's why Brad's segments are mostly boring cause he always brings established games. Watching stuff like that weird Barbarian thing, or the other Desura games Vinny played is much more fun to me.

Yeah Gang Beasts and the other eSports/4 player games are great and I enjoy them heaps but yeah, they need to find a middle ground without taking too much away....

Edit: The obvious answer is more Wind Jammers.

It always takes me a minute to remember who this "Matt" fellow is. For the first minute of Dark Souls Too Part 3, I thought some wild guest had replaced Rorie.

Honestly I could do with less Rorie on the streams. I just always find him irritating.

I think Rorie brings a unique element to the videos he's a part of. Mismatched socks, the eye jiggle, his way of spoiling things by trying to remember what something is or being entirely wrong about a fact are unique traits that make his presence enjoyable. Sure, he can be awkward but video content he's present in would be less fun if he were gone or replaced with someone else.

I can't support any calls for less Rorie.

isnt that just brad

I think Brad's more about spectacular deaths (he's died while an immortality cheat was active, after all) and completely random spoils of what he wants to talk about - not to mention that glorious accent. Also, completionist obsessions! There are many facets of Brad, these are only some of them.

Little-known fact: Brad's accent was a part of the reason I started watching quick looks from Giant Bomb to begin with. It's sogood.jif >.<

I think Brad is usually just more excited to talk to people about what's happened in a game and will still ask beforehand if he will spoil. Rorie will spoil first and then realise what he did later.

skynidas

Banned
I also Don't like rorie in the streams. One of the things that irritate me the most is the thing where he always takes his shoes off, it might sound dumb but he looks kind of dirty all the time. And of course being wrong about a lot of things and the way he talks are also very irritating.

I also Don't like rorie in the streams. One of the things that irritate me the most is the thing where he always takes his shoes off
Uh. Yeah. I want to think you're not being serious but one can never be sure around here.

Great UPF!
But seriously how can you be baffled by the existence of handball?
I had no idea they had their own version of handball. It seems to be like squash without rackets?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, they played a German Handball game? I didn't even know they still made those. Which one was it?

hamchan

In Australia, what we call handball is four square and what we call wallball is American handball.

Also this UPF was pretty damn awesome.

faridmon

Did someone say Handball?

NORWAY MASTERS OF HANDBALL. BOW DOWN TO YOUR GODS!

Champion1.jpg

God, How I love watching this sport!

demidar

In Australia, what we call handball is four square and what we call wallball is American handball.

Also this UPF was pretty damn awesome.

I've never heard 4 square called handball. Handball is a sport, 4 square is a lunch time game played on 4 squares touching each other.

Handball, wtf.

LeBart

NORWAY MASTERS OF HANDBALL. BOW DOWN TO YOUR GODS!

NEVER!
I only bow to the true Gods of handball:
4 times world champions, 3 times european champions, 2 olympic gold medals, and all of that happened in this century.

Giantbomb.com. It's a website, about video games!
But really, you guys should watch a few youtube videos. It's an amazing sport!

dan2026

I honestly don't know what people see in Dynastly Warriors.

There must be something I'm missing because they all seem like bad games. Also they all seem like the SAME bad game. Same combat, same setting, same characters, same everything.

I don't get it.

BigAT

There must be something I'm missing because they all seem like bad games. Also they all seem like the SAME bad game. Same combat, same setting, same characters, same everything.

I don't get it.

Nope, I think you've got it figured out pretty well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair, saying that it's a bad game because people like to just play it while playing podcasts is a bad argument, because I play podcasts while playing dark souls as well.

Of course, jeff would agree that dark souls is a bad game.

Games without a heavy story component are usually great podcast games I feel.

I don't get it.
People in the Warriors thread would probably be happy to explain to you why they like that game.

dan2026

People in the Warriors thread would probably be happy to explain to you why they like that game.

I doubt it.
They would more than likely accuse me of trolling or being a hater or something.

There must be something too DW is all I am saying. No way a shitty game gets that many sequels.

I doubt it.
They would more than likely accuse me of trolling or being a hater or something.

There must be something too DW is all I am saying. No way a shitty game gets that many sequels.
Well, I play the occasional Dynasty Warriors game and could easily explain to you why I like it, but you seem kind of hostile, which is why I didn't just answer the question outright. So I don't know that thinking the worst of the thread is really why people would dislike you.

Khezu

All my knowledge of DW comes from Giant Bomb, so that's maybe not the most unbiased source.

From what I can tell, it's sorta like the Japanese equivalent of Assassins Creed, in terms of milking the same format until the end of time.

Just with a lot less budget and effort, and maybe somehow worse combat.

I would assume people sorta like it for the same reason as AC, it's a very familiar and consistent experience.

FluxWaveZ

I would assume people sorta like it for the same reason as AC, it's a very familiar and consistent experience.

I can see that, but it's important to note that Assassin's Creed's setting tends to change significantly and meaningfully from game to game. Most of what I've seen from Dynasty Warriors is also from Giant Bomb, but the games all look like they take place in the same place and time period.

I'm not into the series at all but a fan of it once explained to me that it nails the feeling of empowerment really well which is what makes it satisfying to play rather than it being about overcoming a challenge. Although you can get through the game just spamming the basic attack button, apparently there are a lot of cool and powerful moves that are easy to learn and pull off because you're never really being hit too hard by enemies. So I guess that might be the appeal, I dunno.

hamchan

I doubt it.

The Warriors thread is actually a pretty nice bunch, but with the attitude you have in this post I doubt any community would bother to give you a proper reply.

demidar

I doubt it.

Shit, you're already painting them in a bad light. I wouldn't be surprised they would call you a troll with that kind of attitude.

Alucrid

Banned
people like "stupid" fun of killing hundreds of people. i only played the gundam ones, which have their specific hooks, but i'm sure regular DW games have story or character hooks of their own

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
All my knowledge of DW comes from Giant Bomb, so that's maybe not the most unbiased source.

From what I can tell, it's sorta like the Japanese equivalent of Assassins Creed, in terms of milking the same format until the end of time.

Just with a lot less budget and effort, and maybe somehow worse combat.

I think games like Diablo/Torchlight/Path of Exile are closer western equivalents to what makes people like DW. You kill a bunch of stuff, get a bunch of stuff and then you start over.

Haunted

I think I might actually enjoy a well-made handball game.
I'd definitely enjoy that.

And while popular in Europe and played by millions of people, it's not big enough of a spectator/media sport to make a AAA sports game about it. It would take a crazy dev team with a passion for the sport and some financial freedom to make one as a showcase for their next engine or something.
also see: Rockstar's Table Tennis.

Haunted

I don't get it.
Same setting and characters can be explained fairly easily since it's a continuous retelling of a [romanticised] account of a certain time period. (Luo Guanzhong's Romance of the Three Kingdoms, for reference. Terrific entertainment).

And the feeling of empowerment you get by plowing down hordes of enemies in a huge-scale war cannot be underestimated. I keep pointing people towards the opening scene of the first movie of Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, where Sauron wreaks havoc on a battlefield amongst elven and human warriors, sending a score of them flying with every hit. If you ever saw that movie and thought "cool!" - Dynasty Warrior taps into that same source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom