• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really think DW is an action game, honestly. Or at least, that's not how I perceive it. The action is tangential. You put the game on Hard and it's a time-management game with an action interface. You have to figure out the best paths to get where you need to go and save the people that need to be saved. You don't just march in to the middle of an enemy group because you can and will get stunlocked because they only just stand there and attack one at a time in casual difficulties.

bonercop

I don't really think DW is an action game, honestly. Or at least, that's not how I perceive it. The action is tangential. You put the game on Hard and it's a time-management game with an action interface. You have to figure out the best paths to get where you need to go and save the people that need to be saved. You don't just march in to the middle of an enemy group because you can and will get stunlocked because they only just stand there and attack one at a time in casual difficulties.

so basically, DW is secretly a moba game?

Odrion

Banned
I honestly don't know what people see in Dynastly Warriors.

There must be something I'm missing because they all seem like bad games. Also they all seem like the SAME bad game. Same combat, same setting, same characters, same everything.

I don't get it.
Agreed.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I can see that, but it's important to note that Assassin's Creed's setting tends to change significantly and meaningfully from game to game. Most of what I've seen from Dynasty Warriors is also from Giant Bomb, but the games all look like they take place in the same place and time period.

Almost every franchise in driving games and fighting games are extremely iterative and can often seem very similar from one game in the series to the next. Then you've got stuff like Animal Crossing, Simulation games, Sports games, there's a whole bunch of video-game franchises out there built around minute iteration. Seems like the only reason sameyness seems to be a problem here is because DW resembles an action game (which is still hardly a genre without its barely-iterative franchises)

I think everyone tries to play them like they're crowd-controlling DMC games and then gets mad that they're not crowd-controlling DMC games.

I don't know anything about what DW actually is, but based on the Quick Looks I always get the impression that there would be way more to those games if you didn't just run into a crowd, mash the attack button and say "Yeah I ran into a crowd and am now mashing the attack button, fuck this shit."

Yeah, when me and a buddy of mine finished DW3 on the hardest difficulty back in the day it was insane. You can't just roll into random pack of dudes, you need strategy and a lot of characters are legit hard to fight, you just can't mash on them.

That said, it still doesn't change the fact that they've been essentially pumping out the same game over and over again with a few exceptions.

Tan

0CzgoXT.png

Way to go Drew

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uh. Yeah. I want to think you're not being serious but one can never be sure around here.

I had no idea they had their own version of handball. It seems to be like squash without rackets?
So in 2000, the Olympics started streaming every single event live over the Internet. What that meant is that I could basically watch any sport that I wanted, not just the ones that Canadians happened to be in.

I was so excited for handball, because I thought it was the "ball against the wall" sport and thought it was amazing that it could be and Olympic sport. I was crushed when I saw that it was some weird basketball/lacrosse/soccer thing instead. lol

To be fair, Uncle Rupee has the logic of a second grader. Such fallacious arguments.

yup, starting a thread by shitting on a series and calling fans "sad sacks" is not a way to start a thread, loved the title change though.

I've played quite a few of the Musou series and its always been just some mindless fun with over the top/tongue in cheek voice acting and guitar rifts. I enjoy the setting so I like playing as specific characters but yeah if you don't like the Romance of the 3 kingdoms series I can see it grating on ya. Combat can be boring on normal difficulty but cranking it up to hard and chaos can make it much more challenging. There's special weapons in the games games (1 for every character) that require you to do complete specific objectives on the hardest difficulties to unlock, I remember spending quite a bit of time in coop with a buddy trying to unlock everything in DW5.

All in all its a series that is more in line with the classic beatemups like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe than other action games. I kinda wish Koei would give them a bigger budget and time to come out with a more polished sequel tho (probably will skip this one seeing as it did look kinda dissapointed in the QL)

dan2026

I have the 2nd One Piece musou game and I have tried hard to like it, as I do enjoy some One Piece.
But I get nothing from it.

Japan must love these game because they keep making them. But it's beyond me.

demidar

yup, starting a thread by shitting on a series and calling fans "sad sacks" is not a way to start a thread, loved the title change though.

I've played quite a few of the Musou series and its always been just some mindless fun with over the top/tongue in cheek voice acting and guitar rifts. I enjoy the setting so I like playing as specific characters but yeah if you don't like the Romance of the 3 kingdoms series I can see it grating on ya. Combat can be boring on normal difficulty but cranking it up to hard and chaos can make it much more challenging. There's special weapons in the games games (1 for every character) that require you to do complete specific objectives on the hardest difficulties to unlock, I remember spending quite a bit of time in coop with a buddy trying to unlock everything in DW5.

All in all its a series that is more in line with the classic beatemups like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe than other action games. I kinda wish Koei would give them a bigger budget and time to come out with a more polished sequel tho (probably will skip this one seeing as it did look kinda dissapointed in the QL)

I played a level in Musou Orochi on Chaos and got curbstomped.

Feels bad man.

justjim89

I'm kinda surprised the Giant Bomb tumblr tag is free from people photoshopping a gif of Jeff playing the SNES controller thing into something less than wholesome.

Good on you, internet.

in the spirit of Patrick's runs and Lord Gamblor i decided to return to The Binding of Issac again and goddamn its mistakes, mistakes everywhere. Doesn't help that my brain just goes to fucking mush once i enter the caves.

I need to let the fact i have to constantly be mobile sink in since most of my errors are movement related.

Handball and Gang Beast were the best part of UPF, probably all thanks to Vinny. The man's laughter is contagious.

I think GB needs more Drew though, They so need to find a new person to run the gear so he can get more screen time.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Bureau is on sale for 8 bucks today only, any of you guys played it?

Story is terrible and it has some serious frame rate problems even on high end machines. Gameplay can be quiet fun but the rather poor AI ruins it. It feels weird saying this, but 8 bucks still seems too high although it is not a TERRIBLE game. Just not a very good one. If you have a lot of time and absolutely nothing else to play right now I'd give it a try but don't expect anything great.

erawsd

I don't know anything about what DW actually is, but based on the Quick Looks I always get the impression that there would be way more to those games if you didn't just run into a crowd, mash the attack button and say "Yeah I ran into a crowd and am now mashing the attack button, fuck this shit."

And there is. The problem is that Jeff has already decided he hates the game, so we end up with a Quick Look where he wanders aimlessly, ignoring all the objectives, and just runs into crowds to mash attack.

I wouldn't argue that they are great games but I do think they are fun. I also would agree that Koei does far too little to move the formula forward.

popo

I just realised. -- Spoilers for South Park and Ground Zeroes --
Both these games have very similar endings i.e. bombs (or snukes) inserted in to body orifices.
Quite some coincidence.

TraBuch

Banned
So I was listening to one of Jeff's Mixlr streams from October and Quiet Storm by Mobb Deep came on the radio. He said he never liked the beat, I think I've lost all respect I've ever had for Jeff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Having never played either games before, or seen much of them, I find X-2 way more appealing than X. I'll take cheesy pop-idol insanity over cheesy melodrama.

I enjoy their podcasts sometimes when driving to work, get one done before I get to work in some cases.

but damn it can get BOORRRING, they ALWAYS start out with a great bang, but then its DOTA this DOTA that, or Bread starts talking about Zelda and wow.

am I the only one who would particularly like a podcast of them talking about the latest real world news?

The one I thoroughly enjoyed the most was the memoriam of Ryan, he was a great guy. although I only remember him most from the On The Spot Days with Rich Gallup and Carrie Gouskos (why the hell is the spell correction for her name Gorgeous...)

also can someone explain to me how they moved back in with Gamespot when Giant Bomb was an attempt to run away?

Will M

Watched the latest UPF with gang beasts and goat sim and now my wife wants me to get both games.

The Bureau is on sale for 8 bucks today only, any of you guys played it?

I'm pretty big on "B" tier games and I would say skip this one. Picked it up on GMG for less than 7 bucks so value had no impact on my opinion. It's just boring and shallow. Minimal base-building mechanics and does very little to provide fans of XCOM with a valuable prequel/origin story for the proper games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I enjoy their podcasts sometimes when driving to work, get one done before I get to work in some cases.

but damn it can get BOORRRING, they ALWAYS start out with a great bang, but then its DOTA this DOTA that, or Bread starts talking about Zelda and wow.

am I the only one who would particularly like a podcast of them talking about the latest real world news?

The one I thoroughly enjoyed the most was the memoriam of Ryan, he was a great guy. although I only remember him most from the On The Spot Days with Rich Gallup and Carrie Gouskos (why the hell is the spell correction for her name Gorgeous...)

also can someone explain to me how they moved back in with Gamespot when Giant Bomb was an attempt to run away?

They've barely talked about DOTA for a long time now.

I also don't think jeff ran away as much as he was chased out.

A couple of things I wanted to mention about Metal Gear. I've heard Patrick (and I think Brad as well) say that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was balanced for multiplayer recently. This is definitely the biggest misunderstanding about this game. I was able to cakewalk through the game (on the PSP version with bad controls as compared to the HD version) in singleplayer only mode.

I remember watching the original Quick Look of Peace Walker and Brad was having trouble beating one of the bosses because he ran out of rocket launcher ammo. But what he didn't know (and the game doesn't explain this at all) is that you've got a little supply drop marker which you can drop 3 times to get more ammo.

If you do that, and also do the side-ops as you unlock them and build your base (as opposed to neglecting it) you should be able to beat the game easily without any help.

Also, I noticed Brad keeps speculating that Solid/Liquid are in The Phantom Pain. I'm guessing Brad hasn't noticed, but they've already showed off what everyone thinks is a young Liquid Snake in the Phantom Pain trailer from E3. Go back and watch it again if you're reading this Brad :)

faridmon

NEVER!
I only bow to the true Gods of handball:

4 times world champions, 3 times european champions, 2 olympic gold medals, and all of that happened in this century.

Giantbomb.com. It's a website, about video games!
But really, you guys should watch a few youtube videos. It's an amazing sport!

pffft

We all know that Womens Handball > Mens Handball

I agree, its a bloody amazing sport to watch. I bloody loved the Olympics. The atmosphere was crazy but the tickets were all sold out within minutes :(

Kyari

A couple of things I wanted to mention about Metal Gear. I've heard Patrick (and I think Brad as well) say that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was balanced for multiplayer recently. This is definitely the biggest misunderstanding about this game. I was able to cakewalk through the game (on the PSP version with bad controls as compared to the HD version) in singleplayer only mode.

I remember watching the original Quick Look of Peace Walker and Brad was having trouble beating one of the bosses because he ran out of rocket launcher ammo. But what he didn't know (and the game doesn't explain this at all) is that you've got a little supply drop marker which you can drop 3 times to get more ammo.

If you do that, and also do the side-ops as you unlock them and build your base (as opposed to neglecting it) you should be able to beat the game easily without any help.

Also, I noticed Brad keeps speculating that Solid/Liquid are in The Phantom Pain. I'm guessing Brad hasn't noticed, but they've already showed off what everyone thinks is a young Liquid Snake in the Phantom Pain trailer from E3. Go back and watch it again if you're reading this Brad :)

Its more than likely a case here of just them not really being particularly invested in MGS at this point. Its not like these are things you'd expect a casual observer of a franchise to know.

Chunky

Anyone else notice how much Brad resembles Saul Tigh?

p0QVYhV.jpg

This is actually related to a dilemma I've got,
Basically there's this guy down at my local supermarket who looks really like Brad.
Like, if Brad had been born in England, was about ten years younger and a bit more overweight, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
I want to take a photo and see if I'm not just seeing something that's not there, but that's crossing a line I don't really want to cross.

Yeah jeff getting unfairly fired was an attempt to run away. Christ.

Xater

I think I'm just not gonna watch that DW QL because I actually enjoy some of these games and know why they can be fun.

BigAT

Someone mind spoiling what is "gross" about Paz in the new Metal Gear game? Absolutely no interest in playing it, but I'm curious what could cause Brad and Jeff to have such a strong, unified reaction on the Bombcast.

Darklord

Banned
Someone mind spoiling what is "gross" about Paz in the new Metal Gear game? Absolutely no interest in playing it, but I'm curious what could cause Brad and Jeff to have such a strong, unified reaction on the Bombcast.

From what I've read
A child solider rapes her and she dies after having a bomb put up inside her vagina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom