• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCoys is total beast tho

image_update_a9baa8635882df9f_1364647786_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Patryn

They are "ready salted" because a lot of then used to come with a sachet of salt you add yourself. You can still buy them like that.

Oh, I'm aware of the origin of the name. I'm just saying it's a better name than "Original".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also is it just me or is Vinny starting to become a little bit more... unhinged now that he moved to new york?

Zaph

Cata was funny, I played WoW with about 12 IRL friends, who were all in big guilds for most of their WoW life. When Cata came out we all transferred and formed a 10-man guild, thinking it was going to be great. Then we got into the heroic raid content and promptly everyone that was used to being carried quit because it was too hard. And my friends were the typical "WoW used to be so much harder, casuals ruined everything" folks.
So much truth in this. My hardcore guild disbanded during WotLK (we got the hard modes in Ulduar down and agreed it wasn't as satisfying as TBC). A few of the...weaker members tried to reform as a 10 man for Cata and promptly disbanded again when they realised it wasn't as easy when you're not being carried by 15 great players.

Hearing about this was extra satisfying because I was the raid leader for most of the guild's life and they were the guys I had to constantly argue with because they kept trying to get me to take their shitty friends/girlfriends freshly dinged characters on raids.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's a lot of E3 stuff that's just gone, the streams are completely broken. GDC too.
Damn.

Luckily there's still the audio versions. For 2011 day 3 I ended up having to rip audio from the podcast and insert it at the end. Kind of a PITA.

BearPawB

Banned
It is so easy for people to put on their nostalgia goggles and say "oh man, i wish WoW would be like it used to be!"

Even brad in the video seemed mad that they made it easier to level up. Just because it is different people think it is "worse".

1-60 leveling is better then it has ever been right now. The perfect speed/fun. 60-70? Less fun. WotLK, Cata, and Pandaria leveling have held up better.

It is cool to be nostalgic for how WoW used to be.

WotLK is still probably my favorite expansion. But Pandaria had a lot of great content. I just think the "lol pandas" anti-hype really affected a lot of peoples interest in playing it.

I didn't find the first two 30 Day Trial episodes very entertaining but Rorie is making this one a lot more interesting. Playing WoW alone seems super boring though. I could see myself enjoying it back when it first came out and everyone was kinda experiencing the magic together, but seeing Dan grind alone in all these gigantic-ass areas does not look enticing.

Zornack

Cata will forever go down as my least favorite expansion due to how terribly tuned Ragnaros was. That fight turned me off from hardcore raiding.

erawsd

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand how Brad and Jeff could have been addicted to WoW but not have been into raiding or pvp. Especially during vanilla, there wasn't much else to do at the cap.

Any word if they're live streaming the Gamescom stuff? Last year was great with their reactions to the bad camera work at the Sony conference.

Wunder

Cataclysm is a great/decent expansion that is underrated simply because a lot of people either already quit and didn't like that they were changing the 1-60 experience or were primarily raiders and were unhappy with most of the end-game raids. However, the amount of work that they put in to basically transform huge swathes of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms can't be overlooked. It feels like a new or updated experience for a lot of the old zones and you're either experiencing new stories or following up on old ones.

There are still places to work on though, they didn't really touch Un'Goro or Silithus, and Outlands is a joke compared to the earlier zones and Northrend after it.

Dug

Banned
Any word if they're live streaming the Gamescom stuff? Last year was great with their reactions to the bad camera work at the Sony conference.
It's happening 10 AM their time soooo...maybe? I think they would of announced it by now if they were going to do it though...

Patryn

No word yet.

A lot of people are optimistic and assume because they did it last year, they'll do it this year.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that their silence on the matter indicates they won't.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand how Brad and Jeff could have been addicted to WoW but not have been into raiding or pvp. Especially during vanilla, there wasn't much else to do at the cap.

I don't think either of them hit the cap, sounds like they were mainly just fucking around in the beta.

No_Style

I'm listening to an old Bombcast from 2008 via the Bombcast Rewind Mixlr stream and Ryan brought up their E3 2008 coverage goal which was to cover everything as a group so they can get multiple perspectives on games.

I hope they do that again for E3 2015.

Also 7 years have passed! Daaaaamn.

No word yet.

A lot of people are optimistic and assume because they did it last year, they'll do it this year.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that their silence on the matter indicates they won't.

Didn't they do an impromptu CES stream of Kaz Hirai's keynote? I think Jeff's reasoning was Sony might do PlayStation stuff (they didn't until the next day, where PS Now was unveiled). Does it take much for them to decide to stream something and then do it?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just for clarification, because I read some weird stuff here: you can shop online without a problem in Germany, you just have to do an online transaction or give the store (like Amazon) direct debit authority.
There's barely a difference to a credit card, works the same way in local stores, too. Put it in a thing and enter a pin, done.

Or you just use PayPal or get a credit card from your bank.

Stores not accepting credit cards is probably a question of cost, if barely any customers use them.

Didn't they do an impromptu CES stream of Kaz Hirai's keynote? I think Jeff's reasoning was Sony might do PlayStation stuff (they didn't until the next day, where PS Now was unveiled). Does it take much for them to decide to stream something and then do it?

That was on a bombcast I think.

Fox318

Vinny has done such a great job exposing indie games that otherwise would have never been exposed.

Maybe getting away from the circle that is SF has really done the site some good.

Manbig

You've gotta understand that being addicted to them probably has a different meaning than with people that have played a lot of MMOs. They didn't even hit the cap.

Zaph

Vinny has done such a great job exposing indie games that otherwise would have never been exposed.

Maybe getting away from the circle that is SF has really done the site some good.

They've all been QL'ing games that in the past wouldn't have had one, that's not exclusive to Vinny nor a trait of escaping the 'SF circle'. Their video output has been raised since the new hires, so they've had to look further afield to find games to cover each week (hence the recent bombcast talk of stopping QL's of shitty mobile ports on Steam).

Patryn

They've all been QL'ing games that in the past wouldn't have had one, that's not exclusive to Vinny nor a trait of escaping the 'SF circle'. Their video output has been raised since the new hires, so they've had to look further afield to find games to cover each week (hence the recent bombcast talk of stopping QL's of shitty mobile ports on Steam).

Jeff has said that they're experimenting with capacity, so they're trying to put out as many videos as they possibly can. But it's the summer, and there's not a lot out there, so they're grabbing what they can.

I anticipate that soon enough they'll cut down on the QLs of more ...questionable... games and fill that time doing premium features.

But based on what Dan and Drew said on this week's Bombcast, I'm betting that right now they have time carved out for doing a Quick Look, and it's up to them to find a game to do.

Tucah

you speak so well

That's not really just a Vinny thing, SF has been covering a ton of games that I never would have expected to get coverage in the past.

there was definitely a bombcast where they kept tuning back into the keynote.

Now that I think about it, maybe I watched it live and then listened to the Bombcast the next day and both are so blended together in my mind that I thought it all happened at the same time.

Fox318

They would have never looked at games like AR-K or Back to Bed before Vinny left.

Most of the indies that they looked at were brought to them or they knew the devs beforehand.

Myggen

They would have never looked at games like AR-K or Back to Bed before Vinny left.

Most of the indies that they looked at were brought to them or they knew the devs beforehand.

I\m not so sure about that. Look at the games Dan and Drew have been covering. Like Drew said on the Bombcast, they have been searching Steam for some pretty random games this last month because of summer drought.

KingKong

I dont think thats true, Vinny loved qling weird little adventure games

Zaph

Again, Vinny leaving coincided with the new hires and the ramping up in content. Small/weird games did get covered in the past, just not regularly. More content now = more digging around for games.

And your second statement is completely false. Their indie game coverage wasn't 'brought to them', whatever the fuck that means.

Watching the WOW video and LOL @ the last thing Rorie wants to see from Dan.

and i guess that still goes on even after all these years of the game existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom