• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
8380.jpg

Coffee with Forrest Kaysen. SWERY is a genius.

If I bought an Xbox One for a single game, it would be D4: gotta get that D, and avoid that cat girl.

bonercop

It doesn't look like anything i'd ever want to play, but just watch someone else play to see all the dumb stuff.

Nothing about the gameplay looked good to me.
Have you ever played one of those telltale adventure games? I'd say D4 looked pretty comparable to those. Maybe that kind of game just isn't your cup of tea.

daydream

Banned
Wonder what bug bit Alex in the second half of the D4 QL? He seemed a bit annoyed, skipping a lot of stuff, saying "I don't care" a bunch. :S

Maybe the controls had worn him down.

Edit: Oh, he seems back on board.

the clam chowder scene in the quick look was nothing. Shit gets weird.
Also D4 is fing awesome

For what it's worth, the thing with the knife/fork and the hotdogs is from an old Charlie Chaplin bit in The Gold Rush (I think that's the movie). The other hotdogs the heavy guy eats may refer to Orson Welles and Pink's hotdogs, which does serve hotdogs like that, and Welles used to sit in a car and, supposedly, have have someone order a dozen or so just for him, served on a silver tray which he would then eat in the car.

I'll buy an Xbox One later in the year. Have many Games with Goals redeemed (still, use Gold on Xbox 360), so it would be rude not to. D4 will be my first actual buy

the clam chowder scene in the quick look was nothing. Shit gets weird.
Also D4 is fing awesome

oh my god

also on the subject of reusing names: "Forrest Kaysen" was also in Spy Fiction, SWERY's Hitman-meets-Metal Gear Solid weirdo hybrid game. There he was a scientist who looked like a knockoff of Dennis Nedry. Big dudes with glasses named Forrest Kaysen is just his thing, I guess.

Also David Young is also a sort of reference: when Deadly Premonition/Red Seeds Profile was first announced, it was called Rainy Woods and bore an even bigger resemblance to Twin Peaks than the final game (ie instead of the twin boys in the red forest, it outright had twin little people in a red room). York and Zach didn't exist either; the main character had a different character model and name: David Young Henning, with his "friend" Jeter.

jgminto

The fact that Swery uses digital actors like Forrest Kaysen and the General makes the choice of D4 a kind of funny name since D and D2 also used the concept of a digital actress with the main heroine.

Well... you're not wrong.

oh my god

also on the subject of reusing names: "Forrest Kaysen" was also in Spy Fiction, SWERY's Hitman-meets-Metal Gear Solid weirdo hybrid game. There he was a scientist who looked like a knockoff of Dennis Nedry. Big dudes with glasses named Forrest Kaysen is just his thing, I guess.

Also David Young is also a sort of reference: when Deadly Premonition/Red Seeds Profile was first announced, it was called Rainy Woods and bore an even bigger resemblance to Twin Peaks than the final game (ie instead of the twin boys in the red forest, it outright had twin little people in a red room). York and Zach didn't exist either; the main character had a different character model and name: David Young Henning, with his "friend" Jeter.

Very interesting.

I'm happy there's someone as Lynchian as SWERY out there making games. The world needs more Lynch.

Myggen

I just love that there's people like SWERY making games out there. He just goes all out every time he makes a game.

Also, the QL reminded me of this legendary GB video.

edit: SWERY said on Twitter that they're releasing a soundtrack of this game. Need to get that, the soundtrack seems incredible.

I am trying to figure out of D4 is a game Jeff would love or hate.

Seems like the right amount of stupid/weird for him to enjoy, without the gameplay of DP that made him not like that game that much.

The fact that Swery uses digital actors like Forrest Kaysen and the General makes the choice of D4 a kind of funny name since D and D2 also used the concept of a digital actress with the main heroine.

Oh yeah, General Lysander.

In Deadly Premonition he's just a grumpy old war vet who sells you cars and sits like a champ, but in Spy Fiction he's literally just a grumpier Revolver Ocelot.

That means that he must be somewhere in D4 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom