• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

If we couldn't eat them 90% of the (non insect) animals on earth would be extinct by now.
FACT
It's interesting though that through domestication and selective breeding, we've altered these farm animals so much that they're essentially a different species (same with a great number of plants also). This is something nature does on its own. We've just subverted the process for tastiness. If we could take the proto-cow back from the past, it would be more or less inedible to our modern stomachs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
yE65psN.gif

It's interesting though that through domestication and selective breeding, we've altered these farm animals so much that they're essentially a different species (same with a great number of plants also). This is something nature does on its own. We've just subverted the process for tastiness. If we could take the proto-cow back from the past, it would be more or less inedible to our modern stomachs.

Also be mean as fuck.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh shit. I had no idea that this was a nod to Chaplin. I thought this was something entirely random and Swery. Wow.

There was also a joke/hommage in the Simpsons like 10-15years ago.That's where I first saw that.

gold-rush-grandpa.gif

Edit: Oh God, that was S05 so that was 20 years ago now... I'm old

popo

I didn't mean to start anything. It was just a joke comment.

I don't eat meat any more for various reasons but I am not one to preach to others about it.

I am vegan, I did not have one good soya dog yet, sadly.

I used to be able to buy really great frozen ones. I guess nobody else bought them though as 3 of the 4 places stopped selling them. The one that still stocks them switched to a wheat based protein and the texture is nasty. Quorn just started making one but I don't much care for quorn.

Zaph

Now I just really want to eat the Proto Cow.

ultron87

That makes sense. A post-PPV reactions show remains relevant listening for much longer than one with predictions for a show that is in a couple days.

mattp

anyone else have trouble with chat in chrome lately?
it works fine in ie or firefox but i always just get "Sorry, there's a problem with our server configuration. Chat is totally broken. We suck. Please mock us in the Bug Reporting forum then check back in a few minutes. We're likely working on fixing this right now." lately. no matter how many times i refresh or anything, it's always just that error message in chrome. and since it works fine in other browsers i'm pretty sure that error message is wrong haha

Myggen

anyone else have trouble with chat in chrome lately?
it works fine in ie or firefox but i always just get "Sorry, there's a problem with our server configuration. Chat is totally broken. We suck. Please mock us in the Bug Reporting forum then check back in a few minutes. We're likely working on fixing this right now." lately. no matter how many times i refresh or anything, it's always just that error message in chrome. and since it works fine in other browsers i'm pretty sure that error message is wrong haha

Chat works fine for me in Chrome.

First time I'll catch Bombin' live in weeks. I knew that being home sick had some upside!

edit: This site is full of Apple fanboys ;)

D4 looks awesome. To bad I don't have a Xbox One yet. I disagree with Alex, think Sweary is more aware of US culture than most Japanese developers but more often than not he seems to just say "fuck it". Glad to hear the positive buzz...

Zaph

Alex just went in on Double Fine for the Spacebase stuff. He's right - they have to be more careful with consumer trust if they're going to keep coming back to the crowdfunding well - their approach to development maybe has to change.

Not sure about Patrick's counterpoint regarding DF being one of the most open studios - even if it's true it doesn't really excuse anything.

Myggen

Alex just went in on Double Fine for the Spacebase stuff. He's right - they have to be more careful with consumer trust if they're going to keep coming back to the crowdfunding well - their approach to development maybe has to change.

Not sure about Patrick's counterpoint regarding DF being one of the most open studios - even if it's true it doesn't really excuse anything.

Don't think Patrick meant for it to excuse anything, but just that it might be a factor because people are able to see the process a lot better. You've seen people picking apart the Broken Age process a lot more because of that openness.

But you're right, I agree with Alex here. I agree with Patrick in that I view almost every Early Access as a potential disaster and not that different from Kickstarter, but the fact remains that Double Fine's goodwill with this stuff is running out fast. The whole Spacebase stuff seemed poorly planned out from the start. Some people are blowing this up to something it isn't in the GAF thread and on other forums, but that goes with the territory and doesn't change the fact that there's real problems for DF here.

edit: It's not often I recommend anything from TotalBiscuit, but his video on this was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAd8Ls8Mwl4&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

People were doubting Swen of Larian Studios for not doing so post-Divinity OS as being pointless. They didn't do that for this reason.

Fox318

Don't think Patrick meant for it to excuse anything, but just that it might be a factor because people are able to see the process a lot better. You've seen people picking apart the Broken Age process a lot more because of that openness.

But you're right, I agree with Alex here. I agree with Patrick in that I view almost every Early Access as a potential disaster and not that different from Kickstarter, but the fact remains that Double Fine's goodwill with this stuff is running out fast. The whole Spacebase stuff seemed poorly planned out from the start. Some people are blowing this up to something it isn't in the GAF thread and on other forums, but that goes with the territory and doesn't change the fact that there's real problems for DF here.

edit: It's not often I recommend anything from TotalBiscuit, but his video on this was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAd8Ls8Mwl4&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

http://steamcharts.com/app/246090

Spacebase didn't exactly have a huge playerbase. They didn't really do a good job of marketing it.

oIIdZUt.png

I get why they would stop supporting it but teams should use early access for near finished Alpha's and betas(feature complete) if they don't plan on continuing development.

Rust is one of the worst examples for me because they had to remake their engine and they are just now getting to a point where the experimental is playable. They have seen a huge dip in players.

Y0EdjNh.png

Myggen

I get why they would stop supporting it but teams should use early access for near finished Alpha's and betas(feature complete) if they don't plan on continuing development.

Rust is one of the worst examples for me because they had to remake their engine and they are just now getting to a point where the experimental is playable. They have seen a huge dip in players.

For sure. Seems like a lot of devs are using Early Access to fund further development of a game that isn't even close to finished, which is a cancellation waiting to happen. It just seems like a fundamentally bad idea to sell an early version of a game to consumers with promises (or "we hope to implement" type "promises") of x amount of features, when that depends on the amount the Early Access brings in. A cancellation at that stage is just a PR nightmare.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I like to think that i'm down with the video games, but I had never heard of spacebase until this stuff happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom