• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
I am definitely staying away from early access games in the future.
No game I have bought early access has been worth it.

Spacebase? Game was never any good, and apparently they realized that.

Starbound? I played it for a bit. But progress was sow and they kept wiping saves. NO idea where the game is at now.

Im sure i have bought countless others, but i am certainly not playing them.

Fox318

I am definitely staying away from early access games in the future.
No game I have bought early access has been worth it.

Spacebase? Game was never any good, and apparently they realized that.

Starbound? I played it for a bit. But progress was sow and they kept wiping saves. NO idea where the game is at now.

Im sure i have bought countless others, but i am certainly not playing them.

Prison Architect has been good with updates and games like The Golf Club have been released.

I feel like this is more of a doublefine story than a Early Access and kickstarter story.

Some people didn't like the massive chalice kickstarter and less people backed it.

daydream

Banned
Plenty of Early Access games have turned out great. If you don't know what you're getting into, that's on you. Obviously you can be disappointed that a game you were excited about was put on halt but that doesn't say anything about the inherent value of EA.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I like to think that i'm down with the video games, but I had never heard of spacebase until this stuff happened.
I don't think they marketed it except for the people that follow their Amnesia Fortnight game jams, which are probably only a few die hard Double Fine fans.

Zaph

I wonder if Early Access backfires for a game like this, because even if they eventually reach 1.0, they seem to get less media attention than games without it.

Hack'n'Slash doesn't look great either, but atleast it got a big boost after the final release.

This is my general concern with Early Access. While it's important to remember there has been success stories, the decision of when a game is 'finished' can become the intersection of currently raised funds vs. potential publicity. That drip feed of updates may prevent the game from ever receiving the critical mass of attention often required during launch week.

If instead those funds had come from traditional methods like investors and business loans, a developer may be better motivated to get the game in an improved release state. Of course the flip side of this is that without Early Access the game may never have been released (which isn't necessarily a bad thing - the potential for financial ruin is a great measure for your believe in your own project).

Myggen

Prison Architect has been good with updates and games like The Golf Club have been released.

I feel like this is more of a doublefine story than a Early Access and kickstarter story.

Some people didn't like the massive chalice kickstarter and less people backed it.

I'd say that the Kickstarter backlash has been more because of stuff like that Yogscast game being cancelled, and other disasters close to that level (that sword fighting game was a good example). This has helped reveal that there's not much you can do as a backer if a Kickstarter project blows up, and a lot of people apparently didn't know that. Double Fine didn't help, but were only a part of that.

Early Access is also a lot bigger than Double Fine. DF had done okay on EA until this happened, and it happened just a few days ago. I'd argue that the backlash against Early Access is because of the sheer amount of fucking garbage that's on there, that will obviously never become anything. Starbound and Rust are also a lot more high profile flawed Early Access products than anything DF have put on there. I'm mostly pro Early Access, but think Valve needs to come up with a way to at least secure that not obvious garbage gets on there.

Fox318

I think it speaks Spacebase that Giantbomb (a company they have a good relationship with and in the same city) didn't do a quick look.

Its a tough market out there for indiedevs on steam.

Right now there are 265 Early access games on steam.

popo

I like to think that i'm down with the video games, but I had never heard of spacebase until this stuff happened.

Same. Personally I regard kickstarter as a donation and early access as a gamble - one reason I am not keen on either - but there should be some consumer protection for early access games that are abandoned.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think it speaks Spacebase that Giantbomb (a company they have a good relationship with and in the same city) didn't do a quick look.

Its a tough market out their for indiedevs on steam.

I think it may have come out before the idea of "unfinished" came up.

I bet they'll do a QL once it's updated to 1.0.

Tucah

you speak so well
Starbound was the only EA game I've purchased - I feel like I got my $15 from what I played of it but man the constant save wiping completely turned me off of the game and I haven't touched it in forever.

Bacon

How was UPF last week? I downloaded it to my shiny new iphone to watch on the train home from work. The dota thumbnail doesn't have me encouraged though.

Volotaire

How was UPF last week? I downloaded it to my shiny new iphone to watch on the train home from work. The dota thumbnail doesn't have me encouraged though.

It honestly all depends on if you find
trolling players in non competitive matches funny.
. There's also another interesting game.

jaina

Yeah, @congressedits is fun. But in the end, capitol hill has a whole bunch of people working there, not just the higher-ups.

Myggen

Here's young Will Smith without beard and glasses from a 2008 Apple event for some reason. Someone on the GB forum found it (go to 25:25 in the video).

It's most likely him, for reference:

2427026-6165002_6134e44e43_b.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Going through Demo Derby 2, pretty crazy that the Gran Turismo devs made Omega Boost. Wish they'd make more off the wall stuff like that these days.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the worst part of the Space Base thing was just the quote from one of the lead designers saying that it would be a huge hit to their credibility if they cancelled their game. Whoops.

Its a tough market out there for indiedevs on steam.

Giant Bomb doesn't cover much fringe RPG or strategy stuff. That's what Dave was for.

I miss that duder.

Sure there'll be a use for this:

iOIJASbHk68tc.gif

Real blood is illegal. Certainly explains his happiness, though...

FStop7

Banned
Surely they folded Tourist Trophy into the GT games by now? They must have everything but motorbikes by now if not.

Nope. And to do it properly would mean a separate game. Full Isle of Man TT circuit modeled to the nth painful detail. Bikes going all the way back to the early 20th century. etc etc. Please make it, PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom