• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think early access should have a policy where if the project fails to complete there is an automated process where the developer has to give a refund.

Zaph

I really liked the first episode. I should play more of that game. Will probably marathon it before the GOTYcasts, same way I did with TWD S01. Although I'm not expecting the same amount of discussion about TWD if resident Wolfman was not really feeling it.

The opening episode is probably the best Telltale has ever made, but it starts going downhill pretty quick. However you might get more enjoyment out of it by being able to play it without months of breaks - I think the (very extended) episodic nature really hurt TWAU.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So like, what are fixed costs? Why do companies stay is San Francisco? #questiongate
It's a weird problem, I guess. All the talent is there because all the big companies are there, so it's easier to find more qualified people. Of course, since everyone is making a lot of money, the cost of everything goes up to the point where you need thousands and thousands of dollars to live there.

popo

I really liked the first episode. I should play more of that game. Will probably marathon it before the GOTYcasts, same way I did with TWD S01. Although I'm not expecting the same amount of discussion about TWD if resident Wolfman was not really feeling it.

Wolf is worth playing but the last two eps, especially the last, are really slow. The last one is all dialogue and if you want to rewind for different endings you have to sit through it at least twice - telltale don't allow skipping. They also don't let you skip "previously on ..." and "coming up on ..." even if you play all 5 eps in one sitting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is he including music and localization in that? Ugh why do we even use twitter.
Are you talking about this tweet?
Sure. Average team size: About 12 people. Cost to employ one person per month in SF: about $10k...
I'm assuming that is the cost of providing a living wage to an employee, which includes supporting them in the office with health benefits and stuff like that.

daydream

Banned
The opening episode is probably the best Telltale has ever made, but it starts going downhill pretty quick. However you might get more enjoyment out of it by being able to play it without months of breaks - I think the (very extended) episodic nature really hurt TWAU.

Yeah, that's how I played TWD. One episode a day. Don't like setting myself up for waiting periods.

Wolf is worth playing but the last two eps, especially the last, are really slow. The last one is all dialogue and if you want to rewind for different endings you have to sit through it at least twice - telltale don't allow skipping. They also don't let you skip "previously on ..." and "coming up on ..." even if you play all 5 eps in one sitting.

Classic TellTale. Some of their decisions are baffling. I hate how they put in achievements this time that require you to rewind and replay some parts. TWD was very straightforward in that regard which is something all narrative-driven games should adopt, imo (or, alternatively, offer a decent way to skip through stuff).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
10K per month for a persona seems insanely high.
San Francisco is insanely pricey to live in. I can't even imagine the cost of running a business there.

Yeah, that's how I played TWD. One episode a day. Don't like setting myself up for waiting periods.

Classic TellTale. Some of their decisions are baffling. I hate how they put in achievements this time that require you to rewind and replay some parts. TWD was very straightforward in that regard which is something all narrative-driven games should adopt, imo (or, alternatively, offer a decent way to skip through stuff).
I hate the fact that they don't let you skip stuff. Although, given their technology, I wouldn't be surprised if skipping something would break the game entirely.

daydream

Banned
I hate the fact that they don't let you skip stuff. Although, given their technology, I wouldn't be surprised if skipping something would break the game entirely.

Telltale games are kinda always on the verge of breaking so that's probably too much to ask of them. They should consider a new engine that's not held together by duct tape.

Tucah

you speak so well
Drew is going to vietnam, I await drew's tour of vietnam premium video.

I hope he eats alot of bun cha

Yep. No Drew for a couple of weeks or whatever will be a bummer (especially when their major premium video series that aren't UPF involve him) but it'll all be worth it if we get another Drew Goes to NK caliber video.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I assume he's going to crawl into a spider hole. lol

Telltale games are kinda always on the verge of breaking so that's probably too much to ask of them. They should consider a new engine that's not held together by duct tape.
Just be happy when they don't eat your save files!

Volotaire

Where did he mention this? Anyway, Drew really visits the some of the more exotic places in the world. I hope he takes a lot of video! I wonder if there are any Vietnam GB fans.

Myggen

Drew going to Vietnam means no MGS for a while. I wonder if Dan will start up a new premium feature, perhaps one with Jeff?

Mario Party 2 Party with special guest Danny O'Dwyer

Where did he mention this? Anyway, Drew really visits the some of the more exotic places in the world. I hope he takes a lot of video! I wonder if there are any Vietnam GB fans.

In the new Demo Disc Derby.

Alfredo

tumblr_n9itzzSgSd1r96fbco4_500.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem there is - like Spacebase DF-9 - they would all miraculously reach version 1.0 before being dropped.

The Spacebase-DF-9 controversy thread had a link to a very good blog post by one of the Project Zomboid devs, that I think outlined what Early Access should be quite well.
It's an interesting comparison anyway. Double Fine is a company, while the Project Zomboid guys are really just a couple of guys. You can actually trust the Zomboid guys more because if they stop making money, they're willing to live in a smaller apartment and cut their cost of living in order to continue making the game. For Double Fine, they'll just give up and move on to the next more profitable project because they need to keep an entire company going. You can't trust them to "make sacrifices" to keep an unpopular game going until completion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The problem there is - like Spacebase DF-9 - they would all miraculously reach version 1.0 before being dropped.

I'll read the link you've posted in awhile, but I feel like valve should have a process to determine if a game really did deliver on the promises of an actual 1.0 (not that it's easy to determine such a nebulous concept). I just feel that if they did create a system that essentially ask people to pay to be the people who fund and test the game they should have a better way to police projects. This should at least make developers less laissez faire with early access anyway.

Myggen

Yup, that's why I brought it up. I finally watched it and it was great, lol. Beast quality™. Alex on speakerphone was amazing.

Yeah, the brief talk of them talking about ideas for a podcast was exciting. Need Vinny on a podcast ASAP!

If it weren't for Dan and Drew's features (Demo Derby and MGS), there would be no Premium content other than the UPF archives. They need to have another Big Live Live Show to kickstart some new Premium features.

I don't think we need a BLLSL for that, but yeah, another regular Premium feature would be sweet. I'm a fan of the Premium podcasts though, but I guess those are more niche products (especially if you're not a fan of F1).

If it weren't for Dan and Drew's features (Demo Derby and MGS), there would be no Premium content other than the UPF archives. They need to have another Big Live Live Show to kickstart some new Premium features.

Zaph

Yep, hope Dan and Drew spend the week creating a reserve of MGS and Demo Derby episodes. Those two are currently putting out the best GB content.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, the brief talk of them talking about ideas for a podcast was exciting. Need Vinny on a podcast ASAP!

Vinny should join Dan and Danny for an anime podcast.

It's, like, the only obvious topic that is not covered, yet (aside from technology, I guess).

I really hope D&D weren't joking about doing something with anime.

Volotaire

Hopefully GBeast can get a pre-UPF show or an alternative going consistently, or even a new type of show. That will add some more by sheer quantity. I have no doubt that they have plans, with Dan now along, for something more regular. I hope they get to experiment more.

I don't think we need a BLLSL for that, but yeah, another regular Premium feature would be sweet. I'm a fan of the Premium podcasts though, but I guess those are more niche products (especially if you're not a fan of F1).

I only mention the BLLSL because it was always the launching point for the next year of features. I think Random PC Game and a couple others spawned out of it. But yeah, they don't NEED the BLLSL, but I would like a sort of regrouping and rethinking of features going forward.

Hopefully GBeast can get a pre-UPF show or an alternative going consistently, or even a new type of show. That will add some more by sheer quantity. I have no doubt that they have plans, with Dan now along, for something more regular. I hope they get to experiment more.

I'm a bit surprised it has taken them so long to get going. I realize there's a shit ton of stuff to do and buy and set up and configure etc etc, but their studio is still just a nest of wires and laptops. They didn't even have enough table space to put their PC parts on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom