• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I never watched the simpsons so

i3zHG1YfacvXR.gif

Megasoum

Banned
I really need to re-watch One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest someday.

I've only seen it once and it was in highschool for my english class. I'd be curious to see it now that I'm older and more mature.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
My condolences to Jeff, i dunno how it is in America but i hope the company can give him some time off to properly grieve. Still i know Jeff will be allright in the end.

Renpatsu

Hat Man: Shadow Ward seems to be channelling the Slender Man and Daylight video games with a protagonist ripped straight out of a 90s adventure game.

Myggen

Hat Man: Shadow Ward seems to be channelling the Slender Man and Daylight video games with a protagonist ripped straight out of a 90s adventure game.

It's what the kids call "Youtube fodder". It has already been covered by PewDiePie, so mission accomplished I guess? Also, the scaling of things in that game is all wrong.

Did I just out myself as a fraud with no support?

Anyone born in the 80s probably got more than a handful of pop culture experiences through the simpsons. as an example, the ending of the original Planet of the Apes was spoiled for me through the Simpsons.

no excuses for attributing that reference to Sunny, though. People need to step up their game.

Renpatsu

It's what the kids call "Youtube fodder". It has already been covered by PewDiePie, so mission accomplished I guess? Also, the scaling of things in that game is all wrong.
It's strange. These games are oftentimes so imbalanced from a narrative perspective because much more thought is put into the lore than the actual plot of the game itself. I can understand budget constraints and all that jazz, but considering the backstory is of a young girl's attempted suicide who is assigned to an asylum for the insane only to become embroiled in some supernatural hooky dooky all I see now is a wasted opportunity.
I've never seen One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (And probably never will, suck on it film nerds)
Go watch it. Not only is it a great movie, but by having not seen it you're missing an essential barometer by which to measure all villainous characters you encounter in future fiction be it video games or otherwise.
Eh, the only time I've watched a movie that aired before the year I was born, it was either in school to study it or it happened to be on free-to-air TV when friends are over.
This is like only playing video games released after you were born. SO MUCH GOOD STUFF IF YOU DELVE BACK INTO THE ANNALS OF HISTORY.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Honest question: how many people knew that scene from the Simpsons referencing it before learning about the source?

There are so many pop culture references I knew about second hand through the Simpsons first.

I had vague recollections of a Simpsons scene but I wasn't certain. I wasn't completely sure of what the original reference was either. I've never seen One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (And probably never will, suck on it film nerds) but I assumed that's where the scene was taken from just because people got pissy about it and it was related to a mental institution.

Anyone born in the 80s probably got more than a handful of pop culture experiences through the simpsons. as an example, the ending of the original Planet of the Apes was spoiled for me through the Simpsons.

no excuses for attributing that reference to Sunny, though. People need to step up their game.

Simpsons has been flat awful for the entire lifetime of the average Giant Bomb user. Always Sunny has been a far superior show for its entire existence and possibly a more relevant cultural touchstone to many people under 30.

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

I would seriously recommend watching some episodes of the very early seasons of the Simpsons. They are classics.

i never really watched it

never interested me

i got to college and had a good friend who could basically recite every line from the first 7 or so seasons and i ended up watching a few episodes here and there

i watched probably around 14 episodes in that fxx marathon

its a funny show dont get me wrong i just hold little reverence for it since i didnt grow up on it

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, the only time I've watched a movie that aired before the year I was born, it was either in school to study it or it happened to be on free-to-air TV when friends are over.

Zaph

Go watch it. Not only is it a great movie, but by having not seen it you're missing an essential barometer by which to measure all villainous characters you encounter in future fiction be it video games or otherwise.

Yup. Nurse Ratched will pretty much take the sting out of any fictional villain.

Lucky you then - lots of great films for you to experience for the first time.

Haunted

Can't help but agree. I know that seems oddly specific, but that's exactly what this feels like.

Though competition in the space has heated up so much thanks to Pewdiepie and the dozens of copycat channels, I think that something as shoddily done as this won't gain traction.

Haunted

As fun as it is to poke fun at wrongly attributed pop-culture references, it's probably just an age/generational difference we have to accept.

Well, if you like movies, there's lots of excellent classics for you to catch up on, then.

Myggen

Can't help but agree. I know that seems oddly specific, but that's exactly what this feels like.

Though competition in the space has heated up so much thanks to Pewdiepie and the dozens of copycat channels, I think that something as shoddily done as this won't gain traction.

Well, when this dude can get over 200k views playing this shitty gam and fake screaming every 10 seconds, you know that there's at least a market for even the copycats. But I have to imagine that people watching videos of such shitty games won't go out and buy them in large numbers at least.

daydream

Banned
I haven't watched the Simpsons either and they were very popular in Germany.

Incidentally, a friend off-loaded the first seven or so seasons at my house a few weeks ago wanting to get rid of all his DVDs. I haven't thrown them away, yet.

Myggen

I haven't watched the Simpsons either and they were very popular in Germany.

Incidentally, a friend off-loaded the first seven or so seasons at my house a few weeks ago wanting to get rid of all his DVDs. I haven't thrown them away, yet.

Skip the first season if you're gonna watch The Simpsons. But I recommend at least watching a few episodes and see if you like it. I never saw the show growing up because we didn't have any TV channel that showed the series, so I first began watching it when I was about 19-20. One of my favourite series all time for sure.

As fun as it is to poke fun at wrongly attributed pop-culture references, it's probably just an age/generational difference we have to accept.

Well, if you like movies, there's lots of excellent classics for you to catch up on, then.
I know, I know. I was once seeing a girl a few years younger than me and her cultural touchstones came from Hey Arnold. That's when I knew it, I had official crossed over to becoming an old person.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Honest question: how many people knew that scene from the Simpsons referencing it before learning about the source?

I know I did.
Didn't really watch many movies when I was younger so I'm pretty sure 80% of all my "pop-culture" knowledge comes from the Simpsons

i can't get over this internal monologue in The Spooky Hat Ghostman

geeze louise, if you think this nuthouse is bad, try my wife's cookin'! [bow tie spins around]

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The episode Lemon of Troy was on tv the other day and it reminded me how great the simpsons used to be.

Dan saying he thinks he could escape from a prison or an insane asylum made me laugh out loud. You dont have a chance dan! But i'd like to hear how you'd try.

Also enjoyed his always sunny in philadelphia method of throwing the water fountain out the window and just walking out hahaha

tumblr_m9dejw2sNV1rei7p2o1_500.gif

bender

What time is it?
I never found Futurama particualry funny, neither do I follow it, but I've enjoyed the few episodes I've watched.

Check out Godfellas, The Sting and Lethal Inspection if you haven't. Futurama had a great run before being cancelled. The movies weren't very good and the Comedy Central runs were hit and miss. It just never had a chance to overstay its' welcome like the Simpsons which is why I appreciate it. I used to love the Simpsons (started with the Tracey Ullman show) but it lost its way which is understandable considering its' tenure.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
I probably saw The Simpsons reference the water fountain thing before I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I was definitely referring to the latter. One of my favorite movies ever.

Simpsons came out when I was about 11, lived through all the merchandising/Bart shirts getting banned at school ("I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?").

Coming in at lunch and talking about the show the night before with your friends. It was glorious all the way through high school and first little bit of college. Then as much as I faded away from watching it due to other things, the show fell off, too. It was like a mutual breakup. But man, those first few years were great.

Shosai

Banned
I watched North by Northwest for the first time recently and realized that I already seen 75% of the film in the form of Simpsons references

Sort of like the time I saw Aliens, after playing Starcraft. That game contains half the script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom