• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start building a computer soon and have never done so before. What did he do that I should never do?
Also occasionally ground yourself to avoid static electricity between you and your components. Some people are super paranoid about it, but just touch the metal of your case from time to time and you should be fine.

ismk

2684573-5866630107-Y9zzD.gif

This gif is giving me a heart attack :lol

FStop7

Banned
I am definitely staying away from early access games in the future.
No game I have bought early access has been worth it.

Spacebase? Game was never any good, and apparently they realized that.

Starbound? I played it for a bit. But progress was sow and they kept wiping saves. NO idea where the game is at now.

Im sure i have bought countless others, but i am certainly not playing them.

Kerbal Space Program was worth it before it was even on Steam, and even more worth it once it was added to Early Access.

That's pretty much the only Early Access game I can think of that was unquestionably worth the money.

I got a lot of enjoyment out of Prison Architect but it was missing a lot of stuff and was pretty buggy. Not sure if it's gotten any better since I last played.

Kerbal Space Program was worth it before it was even on Steam, and even more worth it once it was added to Early Access.

That's pretty much the only Early Access game I can think of that was unquestionably worth the money.

I got a lot of enjoyment out of Prison Architect but it was missing a lot of stuff and was pretty buggy. Not sure if it's gotten any better since I last played.

Prison Architect puts out a big patch monthly with new content and bug fixes. I forget which alpha number they're on now, but they are definitely adding new stuff.

SummitAve

Banned
I have found it extremely easy to get my money out of early access games. I think people get to hung up on whether or not a game is actually finished when you're paying to be apart of the journey.

What the others wrote. The upside is, nowadays this is pretty much the only part where you can really screw up.

Naw man, you can spend an insane amount of time trying to get the PC case cables (for lights, buttons, fans, etc.) into the right spots on the mobo. And, depending on the mobo, you might have to take parts off of the mobo just to be able to get to the case pins.

also, fuck case cables/pins. that shit needs its own usb/hdmi revolution.

Ceebs

Same. Like do they not know there is a little triangle you line up to prevent this?

I forget the exact details, but my mobo had like a little plug thing you popped all the case pins into (that you could do out of the case in good lighting), that then plugged into the MOBI like one big cable.

Naw man, you can spend an insane amount of time trying to get the PC case cables into the right spots on the mobo. And, depending on the mobo, you might have to take parts off of the mobo just to be able to get to the case pins.

The worst part of any build. I always get the polarity of the damned hard drive indicator light wrong.

Draxyle

Neo Member

Yea, Kerbal Space Program is unequivocally the best use of Early Access, and the reason for that is probably their ethos, "We treat every update as if it might be the last one we ever get to do" (paraphrasing). It really shows; it felt like a fairly complete game of its own right even during its earliest stages.

It also helps that they followed the Minecraft style of charging less for their earlier versions. The idea of paying full price for the mere promise of what the product will be is kind of ridiculous. I was actually interested in Spacebase DF9, but their price point was way too high for a product in beta.

I don't think Early Access is a bad thing, it's just that there are rules to follow for it to work effectively.

If you're that paranoid about messing something up, you'll be fine. The fear will protect you.
Embrace it.

It isn't that hard.

If you are sum what organized and plan ahead its really easy.

Something Alex and Vinny haven't really done.

I suck doing manual stuff, even when is designed as being as streamlined possible...

But I want to be able to one day play Astrabreed without my laptop screaming in agony...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have found it extremely easy to get my money out of early access games. I think people get to hung up on whether or not a game is actually finished when you're paying to be apart of the journey.

If I pay for a flight going to LA, I'm gonna be pretty pissed off if they drop me off in North Dakota and pretend like it was our destination the whole time.

NewDust

The worst part of any build. I always get the polarity of the damned hard drive indicator light wrong.
I don't know if this is always the case, but my general rule of thumb: If there is text on the connector it always faces with the text outward. As in, readable when plugged in. Works for me every time.

okay so i want you to go to amazon and start reading the free preview sections for the air force gator books

I didn't say MacArthur Genius Grant recipient.
"Published Author" Dan Rycert. I still love him and the way he talks about games doesn't sound like it coming from an insane person. However my co-worker believes he is method-acting as an idiot with moments of great clarity to test our tolerance for human opinion/life style. "No man could have not have tasted Mayo." or "I don't believe the eye glasses story. It has to be fake".

edit: WTH are you doing Alex?!

FStop7

Banned
Is there a Wasteland 2 QL and/or review coming? I've stayed blacked out on this game. I really want to know if it's worth the $40.

Don't touch the pins (on the bottom of the CPU). Also don't press the processor down once it's in place, which they also did. Placement takes ZERO force.

Yeah I suck at putting together computers, but you should always read instructions first before installing anything... and I'm pretty sure any CPU will tell you over and over to not touch the bottom part. I just wish I knew why my new SSD isn't getting detected. I plugged in the power and data cables, but it doesn't show up in my drives and I can't figure out where the drive list is on my BIOS. Oh well...

Is there a Wasteland 2 QL and/or review coming? I've stayed blacked out on this game. I really want to know if it's worth the $40.

It's the most likely that Patrick would end up playing it, I think? Maybe Brad. I'm really enjoying it, curious to see if they'll feel the same way.

xanavi

Yeah I suck at putting together computers, but you should always read instructions first before installing anything... and I'm pretty sure any CPU will tell you over and over to not touch the bottom part. I just wish I knew why my new SSD isn't getting detected. I plugged in the power and data cables, but it doesn't show up in my drives and I can't figure out where the drive list is on my BIOS. Oh well...

Did you format it in your Disk Management utility? If that's not it, then try swapping the SSD with one of your working drives, (obviously not the one you boot from) and see if you can read it then.

Try a different SATA port. One time I flashed my SSDs firmware and the drive didn't get detected on the next boot up. Switching to a different port cleared it up.

NewDust

Did you check with Windows Disk mangement tool? You usually format your drive from there and assign a drive letter

dammit alex

Watch the shorted everything

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm going to start building a computer soon and have never done so before. What did he do that I should never do?

By context and reactions here, I suppose this is a no-no when building a Gaming PC...

DgphCrE.gif

NUH-UH

What could have possessed someone to commit such an act?

hdodnnskwbwpwox labsoahwpqncoalancjxowbdb sisbskqbdiwndjskskf disband spsbeimf

this literally hurts me

Brutal.

Negaduck

Ah okay makes total sense. Yeah I plan to watch several YouTube videos on putting it together as I do and before I do. And especially involving the CPU as thems ain't cheap.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

There's no doubt it's worth $40. The question is, will you enjoy it? The easiest way to answer this is to ask yourself if you like old fashioned RPGs, because it has a lot of older design philosophies that could be off-putting to more... modern-oriented players. It's the sort of game where you can easily spend over an hour creating your first party, only to immediately reroll once you get into the game. It's not a game where you can do everything, and it can be a little janky at times, which may be offputting to some people.

If you're looking for a post-apocalyptic, party-based RPG with a wicked sense of humour, you can't go wrong with Wasteland 2.

The Wasteland 2 |OT| can answer any specific questions you have,
since I t hink it will be a while (if ever) before that Giant Bomb cover it. I mean, they barely covered Divinity, and a couple of them really liked that game.

He already confirmed on Twitter that they missed both Titan cancellation and the Steam redesign stuff.

They could easily cover the Steam redesign by adding "and the new Steam layout sucks" to the bombcast description.

PSA To anyone who wants to know how to install a CPU

- Make sure CPU is properly lined up with motherboard
- Hold the CPU by the sides
- Lightly lower CPU into the motherboard
- Lower tension rod
- You're done

Do not touch the bottom of the CPU or the the pins on the motherboard, I have made a gif to demonstrate how simple it is, and how horribly wrong Alex did it.

WellwornPopularHoneyeater.gif

FStop7

Banned
There's no doubt it's worth $40. The question is, will you enjoy it? The easiest way to answer this is to ask yourself if you like old fashioned RPGs, because it has a lot of older design philosophies that could be off-putting to more... modern-oriented players. It's the sort of game where you can easily spend over an hour creating your first party, only to immediately reroll once you get into the game. It's not a game where you can do everything, and it can be a little janky at times, which may be offputting to some people.

If you're looking for a post-apocalyptic, party-based RPG with a wicked sense of humour, you can't go wrong with Wasteland 2.

The Wasteland 2 |OT| can answer any specific questions you have,
since I t hink it will be a while (if ever) before that Giant Bomb cover it. I mean, they barely covered Divinity, and a couple of them really liked that game.

They could easily cover the Steam redesign by adding "and the new Steam layout sucks" to the bombcast description.

That sounds right up my alley. Something like a post-apocalyptic version of Ultima VII. Or more simply, a traditional sequel to Fallout 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom