• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

DOTA's learning curve looks crazy enough as is. Doesn't need added complication.

Naturebox is a legit good product. You guys should try it.
Yup, I use Graze which is similar - once you have these (moderately) healthy snack boxes on hand, you'll surprise yourself with how often you open one instead of some junk. Good for any GAFers trying to drop a few pounds.

Zaph

It kind of just got a massive simplification like 3 hours ago.

It changed 5 damage types to 3 and made everything much simpler with interactions. It's pretty big.
That sounds... controversial?

Is there a clear motive behind the change? Has Valve stated they want a simpler game, or are they just mixing it up to stay interesting?

Did you format it in your Disk Management utility? If that's not it, then try swapping the SSD with one of your working drives, (obviously not the one you boot from) and see if you can read it then.

Try a different SATA port. One time I flashed my SSDs firmware and the drive didn't get detected on the next boot up. Switching to a different port cleared it up.

Did you check with Windows Disk mangement tool? You usually format your drive from there and assign a drive letter

Thanks guys. I'll give that stuff a shot when I get home tonight if I have time.

LiK

The struggle was real:

7xodEnQ.png

Brad better not be slacking cuz of Dota!

Is there a clear motive behind the change? Has Valve stated they want a simpler game, or are they just mixing it up to stay interesting?

Overall the game has been skewing simpler for a while (at least in general, earth spirit is still mind blowingly complicated) changing a lot of the oddly specific interactions to more general rules (night vision on some heroes, disjointing projectiles etc.) making it "easier". It's still just as complicated as it ever was it just requires a little less actual study and experience to know what interacts with what how.

This change actually changes very little regarding how damage is dealt, and much more with specific under the hood stuff that only people really into it will know anything about anyhow.

I don't think it has anything to do with Valve, it's just more fun without having to know 23405285 things.

Oh, I'm sure the Dota community is thrilled.

There are way too many other things happening for anyone to care right now. Map changes, new item, new rune, two reworks, 4 or 5 new aghs, tons of reblances. We won't be feeling this change, if at all, for a few months and we'll see how it shook out. Also helps that 98% of the community will never understand what just happened and most won't ever even notice it.

BearPawB

Banned
As a Dota fan, i don't really fear change.
I trust Icefrog. And if these changes don't work, they will get changed.

It is exciting times though.

I just started playing DOTA three weeks ago but I'm definitely going to play tonight to see if the patch changes things noticeably on the heroes I've been learning.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

There were only a handful of abilities in the game that used the damage types that are removed, and one of them has been a huge issue (the change severely hurts one hero specifically, and makes a lot of other interactions more clear) in most levels of play.

Overall Dota is a really confusing game when everything follows the same ruleset. A lot were results of limitations from the Warcraft 3 engine, others are just a result of iterating on a game over the course of a decade. This is a significant step toward making everything play by the same rules so that you don't need to memorize a dozen exceptions to what a skill or item does but in most individual cases a relatively minor gameplay change.

As for patching in general, I really like the Dota method of waiting out what seems imbalanced. League of Legends patches every single week and everything gets somewhat homogenized as a result. Instead of forcing playstyles to adapt or new characters to counter what is strong, they react and change everything as soon as it seems strong or weak.

im still amazed football only has one map :(
The stadiums don't look the same. Plus the game of football is built around the parameters of the field. The game wouldn't work if every field looked different. I don't know much about DoTA, is there any reason they need to have the same map over and over? Would it break the game if they created new maps to play on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom