• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

i got it for my sister for her birthday and she really likes it.
Maybe not the most cost effective way to eat snacks, but what they have is apparently really delicious.
I got it for my parents, and they also love it. I think the price is decent for what you get.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Dan is really the best thing that could've ever happened to the Bombcast.

image.php

edit: that ring-and-run video is amazing in so many ways

Kid probably did a bunch of hunkadunk before he got up the courage to go to Old Man Gerstmann's.

Jeff is gonna be the guy who has a kid's baseball stuck on the top of his roof and the kid hears stories about Old Man Gerstmann and how cranky he is. Then when the kid builds up the courage to ring his doorbell and finds all the amazing old video games and pinball machines, they develop a bond together.

Then the kid asks him about what Giant Bomb is and tells him to get out.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Jeff is gonna be the guy who has a kid's baseball stuck on the top of his roof and the kid hears stories about Old Man Gerstmann and how cranky he is. Then when the kid builds up the courage to ring his doorbell and finds all the amazing old video games and pinball machines, they develop a bond together.

Then the kid asks him about what Giant Bomb is and tells him to get out.

hahaha, it's so true. man I love that this exists. that it happened to jeff...that he has a damn camera for his front porch (am I the only one that thinks it's weird?)...that the kid is so little. amazing.

The stadiums don't look the same. Plus the game of football is built around the parameters of the field. The game wouldn't work if every field looked different. I don't know much about DoTA, is there any reason they need to have the same map over and over? Would it break the game if they created new maps to play on?

Yes the game would be broken. Completely and utterly. Instantly.

valeo

That kid running away vid is the best thing i've seen all week. I'm kinda glad it happened to Jeff at this tough time - am sure it brightened his day a little haha.

Brashnir

How? This genuinely perplexes me, not trying to be dismissive. How would Dota be ruined by new maps? It's a fucking video game.

Broken is probably a bit of a stretch, but any change to the map casts a long shadow over the tactics of the game. This cascades down to the abilities of the heroes, which are all balanced around a 5-player team playing on that map, and then to the items which interplay with those abilities.

Adding a bunch of maps would mean all of the heroes and items would have to be re-balanced to be playable on all of the available maps and the inevitable modes spawning from them. This would most likely lead to a mass homogenization of heroes, stripping out or neutralizing a lot of unique abilities, items, and the like.

There is an absolute ton of interplay already between the 100+ heroes, with 400+ abilities, 100+ items and one map in the game. Even a relatively small change, such as removing a cliff or gorge on the existing map, would have a major impact on any flying heroes, as an example.

A change to the size of the jungle or number of jungle creeps would have a major impact on any heroes who regularly use the jungle for gold and experience.

These are a couple of thousands of examples. The list goes on and on and on and on.

In a shooter, playing a different map changes the game less than playing a different hero changes DOTA. The variety is elsewhere.

sixghost

How? This genuinely perplexes me, not trying to be dismissive. How would Dota be ruined by new maps? It's a fucking video game.

The depth in the game doesn't come from the map. You'd be surprised how often little intricacies in the map make the difference between living and dying, and learning 2 or 3 more maps would be kind of ridiculous. The game is overly complex as is.

To give you some context, they barely changed the map in a patch today, like added some pathways through areas that were normally blocked off with trees and people are freaking the fuck out.

literally every item and hero has been balanced on and around that one map

its what governs the radius of everything

like wards would have to be reworked blinks spawn camps all the attack ranges

its hard to appreciate if you dont understand the balance and how it was constantly built upon one thing or another over 10 years

Anastasia

I signed up for the NatureBox trial. Could always use some more healthy snacks. Less than $2 for everything you get in the sampler seems like a good deal too.

So changing up the maps would be akin to say stretching a football field to 120 yards or making every 15 yards a down. Hell making every 8 yards a down could drastically change the game.

They can just keep one serious map and have a bunch of other maps that people play mostly to chill out on, like what LoL does.

What does the game benefit from that, though? Should they implement different maps just so people on forums don't go "Why does it only have one map?!"?

hamchan

What does the game benefit from that, though? Should they implement different maps just so people on forums don't go "Why does it only have one map?!"?

Variety? I know quite a few people that log into LoL just to play ARAM and relax. Either way they're getting people to play the game, even if it isn't the main mode.

Of course this is a long term goal, since they're taking so long to finish adding all the original DOTA heroes.

popo

Patrick should stop posting trailers and track down the true identity of this Freezy Frog character. That would be a real scoop worthy of the name.

Myggen

Beats me, if I had a copy I would be slingin that hot banned QL all over the place, but I would like to know why it's not been reuploaded.

It will probably be up on Friday at the latest. That's when the game comes out in the US, anyway.

Yeah, I assume there's still an embargo on longer form video of the game, even though it's out in all other regions by now. Wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do that.

GavinGT

Banned
Yeah, I assume there's still an embargo on longer form video of the game, even though it's out in all other regions by now. Wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do that.

Reminds me of the Golden Sun embargo where they were allowed to post three minutes worth of footage in 1-minute increments. So on Happy Hour they burned up all their time by showing only the title screen for three minutes.

Myggen

Funny if the press are embargoed for Hyrule Warriors, meanwhile everyone else in the world can YouTube it or stream it.

That's what's happening more and more now, but this seems like an extreme example since it's actually out in all other regions by now. Guess this could be the "It's Nintendo!" moment of the day.

Liking mac and cheese is like...

when you were 6 years old, one night whilst you were sleeping, a strange man broke into your bedroom, surgically removed your tongue, and replaced it with a fleshy tongue-like appendage designed solely to send the exact wrong taste sensations to your brain

that is what happened to you

Mac and cheese is great!

when you were 6 years old, one night whilst you were sleeping, a strange man broke into your bedroom, surgically removed your tongue, and replaced it with a fleshy tongue-like appendage designed solely to send the exact wrong taste sensations to your brain

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

I don't know what this is in reference to, but I'm gonna guess dan ryckert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom