• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Loving Jason on the QL, glad he decided to make his debut.

Disney Infinity, on the other hand, continues to be a massive bummer.

Yeah Disney Infinity does not look great if you are not into the Toy Box. The campaign stuff dies not see to hold a candle to Skylanders.

Xanathus

Oh my god I'm so glad they got Rorie and Drew to QL Wasteland 2, I feel like every other member of Giantbomb wouldn't have the patience or understanding to play it and give it a fair shake.

Tucah

you speak so well
Loving Jason on the QL, glad he decided to make his debut.

Disney Infinity, on the other hand, continues to be a massive bummer.

Yep. Jason was prepared, had good chemistry with Dan and showed off the game really well. Excellent first appearance for him. DI looked fine at first but then as Jason kept pointing out his problems with it sounded less and less appealing. I'd still be curious to fuck around with the Toybox but I don't really want to drop $80 to do so.

Mesoian

Yeah Disney Infinity does not look great if you are not into the Toy Box. The campaign stuff dies not see to hold a candle to Skylanders.

And the toybox stuff looks like it's gonna get overshadowed by both Minecraft and Project Spark.

I know why Disney Infinity is what it is, but they aren't giving that property the seriousness it deserves.

daydream

Banned
Yep. Jason was prepared, had good chemistry with Dan and showed off the game really well. Excellent first appearance for him. DI looked fine at first but then as Jason kept pointing out his problems with it sounded less and less appealing. I'd still be curious to fuck around with the Toybox but I don't really want to drop $80 to do so.

The level design seems super generic. It strongly reminds me of PS2-era licenced action platformers. The combat looks very dull also. Toybox does nothing for me especially since the amount of Disney characters in there is laughable. Where's all the characters from classic Disney movies and shorts? Instead it's all Marvel stuff. Skylanders seems so much better in every conceivable way.

Myggen

The level design seems super generic. It strongly reminds me of PS2-era licenced action platformers. The combat looks very dull also. Toybox does nothing for me especially since the amount of Disney characters in there is laughable. Where's all the characters from classic Disney movies and shorts? Instead it's all Marvel stuff. Skylanders seems so much better in every conceivable way.

The thing is, Disney probably knows that this shit will sell to kids no matter what they do (because it's Disney!), so why put much resources into making an actual good game? Disney's smart like that, even if it doesn't make for a very compelling game for you and me.

daydream

Banned
The thing is, Disney probably knows that this shit will sell to kids no matter what they do (because it's Disney!), so why put much resources into making an actual good game? Disney's smart like that, even if it doesn't make for a very compelling game for you and me.

Oh yeah, I can see why the game is as bland as it is. I'm a Disney fan, though, so I can't help but be a little bit disappointed. I guess I should look at the bright side - I won't have too spend a single buck on it.

Where's all the characters from classic Disney movies and shorts? Instead it's all Marvel stuff. Skylanders seems so much better in every conceivable way.
I mean, this pack is explicitly called "Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes." Not sure what you were really expecting there.

But there's Fantasia Mickey already out and Scrooge McDuck coming so presumably they're not against classic characters.

Myggen

I hope they have Jason on for Bayonetta 2, he's a big fan.

From Jason's Twitter:

Someone asked him if he'll drive the Bayoneta 2 QL:

@TechnoSyndrome I loooooove the first one. Really hope I get the chance to do a QL for the sequel.

And then someone asked: "Can I make a formal request that you sit in on the P4U QL, assuming you guys do one?", and he answered:

@BluSteele86 Bet on it. I've had it for a bit, but haven't been able to put any time into it. Focusing on it the rest of the week.

So more Jason QLs incoming. He'll probably fix many of the problems people had with GB's coverage of character action games, he clearly knows what he's talking about.

Tucah

you speak so well

Yeah, sure, I agree with pretty much all of this. I like the toy/plastic-y look of the game but yeah, level design and combat leave a lot to be desired. Toybox looks cool as a way to design stuff with pretty visual/self explanatory tools (which I'm kind of a sucker for) but they're doing a really poor job of using the vast Disney license (and, hell, even do a poor job of using the Marvel license as well which honestly I'm probably more interested in).

^ More Jason on QLs is great news. I assume he'll be taking the reigns, or at least sitting in with Jeff, on fighting game QLs from now on.

daydream

Banned
I mean, this pack is explicitly called "Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes." Not sure what you were really expecting there.

But there's Fantasia Mickey already out and Scrooge McDuck coming so presumably they're not against classic characters.

Hm? I'm not expecting classic Disney guys from a Marvel pack, I'm expecting not a Marvel pack. I know they have classic characters in - Jasmine and Donald, to name two more - but it's a pitiful amount. And like I said, it's clear they're going for an easy cash grab but as a fan, I'm still bummed out. The product, by and large, is not intended for me but I *wish* it was.

Dizzy-4U

Jason!!!! Finally!!!! Dude has knowledge, put him in more stuff! (I know he has to be pretty busy with all the video stuff but whatever).

Scizzy

Just as there is no one more popular among football fans than the backup QB, there is no Giant Bomb staffer more popular than the ones who rarely appear in videos. Not a comment on Jason as I haven't watched the DI QL, but a general observation.

h2EWwQd.png

Kirlia

Banned
Just as there is no one more popular among football fans than the backup QB, there is no Giant Bomb staffer more popular than the ones who rarely appear in videos. Not a comment on Jason as I haven't watched the DI QL, but a general observation.

He's pretty rad in the new QL. It'd be cool to see more of him in the future!

Myggen

Vinny's in plenty of videos ;)

I'm at March 2009 in my relistening to the bombcast and we now have our first tangential discussion about how poorly thought out Cobra's plans are in g.i.joe. They discuss making faking harbor towns to fool a couple of sailors and Cobra's lovely perfume plans for world domination.

I believe i have now fully entered the golden age, where Jeff has a Wii and 50 is hitting ramps on the moon.

It's all hilarious.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM BRAD SHOEMAKER RE: LATEST DOTA 2 CHANGES

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/dota-2-getting-a-big-ol-patch-with-rekindling-soul/1100-5023/ said:
"This is the most radical stuff they've done to the fundamentals of Dota 2 since it came out. They're the kind of changes normal people would look at and roll their eyes--stuff like a handful of trees being in a different place. But changes like that just keep raising the skill ceiling because they give really good players a ton more options for ways to maneuver and strategize. The nature of these changes is tantamount to changing the length of a football field or the duration of a shot clock in basketball, except there isn't just one change, there's a ton of them."

STAY TUNED TO GIANT BOMB FOR ALL YOUR LATEST DOTA 2 NEWS

DeviantBoi

I wish they would never again ask Dan about personal stories. It just makes him sound like an awful human being... and it makes me dislike the rest of the crew for liking him enough to bring him aboard.

DeviantBoi

Dan's stories are the highlight of the Bombcast now for me.

Not for me. I dunno, I just don't like the guy.

And I feel sorry for Brad because, again, for me, the podcast took a downturn when he started hosting the podcast. Not because of him, though... Vinny left, Dan came on, and there were two weeks with emails regarding shit.

It just hasn't been the same for me since then.

And I feel sorry for Brad because, again, for me, the podcast took a downturn when he started hosting the podcast. Not because of him, though... Vinny left, Dan came on, and there were two weeks with emails regarding shit.

Are we talking about Feces or the other kind of shit.

FStop7

Banned

Nah. The hosting got better w/ Brad. He's better suited for it than Jeff. Vinny's departure definitely hurt, though.

And never listen to the emails segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom