• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only after he's played MGS2, though, seeing as it uses the first-person aiming from that game and all.

Nah, he should do it straight away, it won't devalue the MGS2 experience. If anything he'll appreciate the PS2 controller for MGS2 even more because of how they had to cram everything in on the Gamecube controller.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I assume they're gonna play the hd collection version of mgs2 (and 3)?

Megasoum

Banned
The whole PAL key sequence is bringing me flashbacks. I remember that my specific model of PS1 that I had was crashing 100% of the time when getting to that room. I had to go to my brother in law, load up my save, get the key, save and then come back home.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I never used the analog functions of buttons for weapons. I held down square to aim, and pressed R1 to unequip the weapon to stop aiming. So much easier.

Unless you're using an automatic weapon which will start firing as soon as you hold down the button. Gently pressing it let's you aim down the sights without shooting.

Also, the analog stuff is very important when grabbing enemies in 3.

popo

Mary is okay but overrated. If she were not a rare female in a male dominated office, nobody would give her a second look.

Actually, that is a little unfair. She is better than okay. Some of her solo videos are pretty good. On the other hand, her and "fake Drew" made parts of that Half Life Half Marathon stream unwatchable.

Myggen

Mary is okay but overrated. If she were not a rare female in a male dominated office, nobody would give her a second look.

Actually, that is a little unfair. She is better than okay. Some of her solo videos are pretty good. On the other hand, her and "fake Drew" made parts of that Half Life Half Marathon stream unwatchable.

Premium feature where Drew and Fake Drew fight to the death.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
We'll be doing the HD Collection versions. I know there is a *very small* bit of content cut from them, but I can show him videos. Not worth playing a technically inferior version of a game for 10+ hours for like 5 minutes of cut content.

Zaph

We'll be doing the HD Collection versions. I know there is a *very small* bit of content cut from them, but I can show him videos. Not worth playing a technically inferior version of a game for 10+ hours for like 5 minutes of cut content.

I like that we've gone from "Maybe the rest of the games" to "Not if, when" and now "We'll be playing X version".

This is currently the best feature Dan.

0Sa9bOQ.gif

Tucah

you speak so well
I like how Dan has replaced Brad as the occasional GB crew guy in this thread. We can only have one, it seems.

Aw maaaaaan. I see your point, but Guy Savage is probably the biggest "what the fuck is happening" moment in the whole series.

I'll live. 16:9 should make up for it.

edit: I guess it's easy to miss (I missed it) so w/e. All I really want is that Metal Gear Scanlon 2 is called "Sons of Drewberty"

mattp

good

ps3 hd versions of 2 and 3 are, without a doubt, the way to go

don't do the 360 versions because you lose the pressure sensitive buttons

I'd agree with doing the full playthroughs using the HD version, but dan, you gotta find the PS2 version of MGS3 because drew NEEDS to experience Snake vs. Monkey.

We all need to experience it, really.

Unless you're using an automatic weapon which will start firing as soon as you hold down the button. Gently pressing it let's you aim down the sights without shooting.

I know that; I simply never used automatic weapons when sneaking around. Only during forced alert scenarios. I used the hold-up mechanic with automatic weapons for the first time two years ago when doing the VR missions, as some required the player to hold-up some enemies with the AK.

In fact, I think the only moment in the game that had me use rifles was the last bit with Snake in Arsenal. I just used my tranquilizer for the whole game to take out soldiers and bosses.

I'd agree with doing the full playthroughs using the HD version, but dan, you gotta find the PS2 version of MGS3 because drew NEEDS to experience Snake vs. Monkey.

We all need to experience it, really.

Wish they would have left that in just for the PS3/Vita versions. They re-made it for the 3DS version after all.

At least Secret Theatre didn't get removed.

Wait, they took that out?

How fuckin lame.

IIRC it doesn't run on the same engine as MGS3 does. It would have needed its own HD update, I guess? Probably not worth the effort. Still a shame. (They could have replaced it with Twinbee or something.)

good

ps3 hd versions of 2 and 3 are, without a doubt, the way to go

don't do the 360 versions because you lose the pressure sensitive buttons

Listen to this man, Dan. The analog buttons are a big part of what made the combat in MGS2 and MGS3 so immersive. Having the option of thinking twice before pulling the trigger is huge.

mattp

Listen to this man, Dan. The analog buttons are a big part of what made the combat in MGS2 and MGS3 so immersive. Having the option of thinking twice before pulling the trigger is huge.

not to mention the mgs3 controls are complex enough for a beginner as it is. all the 360 version does is add yet ANOTHER button you need to manage because you can't just let off the square button when you wanna put away your gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom