• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

So am I. People who have gotten their hands on it have given positive feedback. I don't get all the negative feedback, especially from those who haven't played it yet. That's not to say the GB guys or Danny haven't. Maybe they have. It just seems their minds are made up already which is a shame, especially if they haven't gone hands on.

I have played it and it's bog standard 3rd person cover based shooting with lots of cinematic bullshit. Nothing I have not seen at least half a dozen times already. All the game has is that it's really pretty.

This was a nice UPF. I really like that Jeff's (somewhat) into the C64, it's pretty rare to see that in the US centric game media. The C64 was really fucking big here in Finland, with ads like this:
AFkfTuo.jpg
THE REPUBLIC'S COMPUTER

THE LIBERATOR

I think it's been said it sold more units per capita here than anywhere else. The Finnish public broadcast company had a radio show on which they played C64 software that people could record on tape and run on their computers! The older (i.e. not the new mobile era successes) big game developers from Finland (such as Housemarque, Remedy) were basically born from the demoscene, which in turn was pretty much born from Commodore. So yeah, I love seeing Jeff educate people about that wonderful thing, even if he doesn't quite appreciate its games :)

As I said, good UPF.

(Happy to see Dan going with Eye of the Ryckert as the name of his show, I was the first one to post it here but of course I can't know if that's what the name came from)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So for the past few hours I have been helping my friend transfer his content between 3ds and new 3ds

My god what a horrible experience

Even after I deleted all my games to redownload it later it still took 2 failed connections and 30 minutes.

Fucking nintendo.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So for the past few hours I have been helping my friend transfer his content between 3ds and new 3ds

My god what a horrible experience

You know, I would probably buy a New 3DS. Gamestop has a pretty decent offer (29€ for a New 3DS if I trade in my old one) but I can either loose all my purchases or sit in the Gamestop for 5 hours waiting for the system transfer. That is if they even let me do it.
So that's not gonna happen.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Dan starting out saying Nuts and Bolts is a better Banjo-Kazooie game than the original two makes me sad.

It's a good game but it's not really a BK game.

It is. It was made by rare and features the characters Banjo and Kazooie. It is also better, more creative and top of its genre. Plus it is gorgeous. Best 360 exclusive.

Fantastapotamus

I dunno why but I decided to watch the Hatsune Miuk QL again and read some Youtube comments. Surprisingly enough this was almost as entertaining as the QL.
Youtube comments giveth and they taketh.

You know, I would probably buy a New 3DS. Gamestop has a pretty decent offer (29€ for a New 3DS if I trade in my old one) but I can either loose all my purchases or sit in the Gamestop for 5 hours waiting for the system transfer. That is if they even let me do it.
So that's not gonna happen.

I talked to a GS guy because there's a deal for trade in as well in the US. At least at my store, he had a convoluted method to get me the price of the item on sale after I bought the new 3DS. Basically, buy it at full price, take it home and do the system transfer, come back with both 3DSs, process a refund on the full price purchase, then purchase the New 3DS with the old 3DS trade in.

Honestly I'm just going to wait until something I'm interested in comes out on the N3DS, and by then it'll probably have a price drop. Or I'll get some cheap 3DS off Craigslist and use that as my trade in fodder.

Jintor

Even after I deleted all my games to redownload it later it still took 2 failed connections and 30 minutes.

Fucking nintendo.

why do they make such good games

and surround them with feces

fucking hell nintendo

It is. It was made by rare and features the characters Banjo and Kazooie. It is also better, more creative and top of its genre. Plus it is gorgeous. Best 360 exclusive.

it's the majora's mask of banjo kazooie

Fantastapotamus

Well, there are like 4 games in it's "genre" so that's not really an accomplishment.
I think the game would have been much better received if they had been a fresh IP.

I talked to a GS guy because there's a deal for trade in as well in the US. At least at my store, he had a convoluted method to get me the price of the item on sale after I bought the new 3DS. Basically, buy it at full price, take it home and do the system transfer, come back with both 3DSs, process a refund on the full price purchase, then purchase the New 3DS with the old 3DS trade in.

Honestly I'm just going to wait until something I'm interested in comes out on the N3DS, and by then it'll probably have a price drop. Or I'll get some cheap 3DS off Craigslist and use that as my trade in fodder.

I might be able to do that but even if I could I refuse to. How hard can you make it for me to give you money Nintendo? First the stupid "You need space to BUY this game" thing now this. Geez, sometimes I feel like everybody would win if Nin would just go 3rd party already. I just want to play their games but their systems have been consistently lackluster for the past few generations.

Geez, sometimes I feel like everybody would win if Nin would just go 3rd party already. I just want to play their games but their systems have been consistently lackluster for the past few generations.

I disagree. I feel like we'd lose their game quality if they were forced to publish out of house and work under Microsoft or Sony.

Jintor

i am pretty sure they would lose their quality if they ever went full third party (not counting their experiments into mobile, which i'm pretty sure they won't ever go "full" mobile but they are probably going to make companion apps and shit at some point)

tchocky

Nintendo going 3rd party would be a disaster for it's fans. They would no longer have to create as many diverse games to support a system so they could concentrate on fewer franchises that sell big so we would probably say goodbye to games like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and other franchises that are loved but don't sell huge. Since they are so risk averse they would basically become Activision concentrating on Mario, Zelda, Smash and Animal Crossing.

Myggen

so when will they announce the new hire?

"When they're ready" is probably the correct answer. The last we heard Jeff was going through applications, but that's a while ago. There's really no way to know where they are in the process now. My bet is that they'll just announce it on the site when it's done, and that will be how we know.

Nishastra

Banned
It's still funny how whenever they play a real Tetris game, all Brad does is complain about the purity of Tetris, but then the game he wants to play is perhaps the least-pure Tetris game ever made :p

Myggen

It's still funny how whenever they play a real Tetris game, all Brad does is complain about the purity of Tetris, but then the game he wants to play is perhaps the least-pure Tetris game ever made :p

That's not the "purity" he's talking about, he's talking about old school rules vs. the newer Tetris canon, like being able to store pieces. So it's more the base rules he's being grumpy about, not everything around it. For all the stuff surrounding Battle Gaiden, it still very much sticks to the Tetris rules of that time.

by the way re: last week's bombcast jeff and brad shitting on majoras was hilarious and also maddening which i assume is exactly the effect that was intended

i haven't even played majoras and I was angry lol

The hyperbole was obviously done to troll Dan a bit, since Majora's Mask is one of his favourite games :)

Jintor

Why?
That's a weird thing to say.
I don't think EADs talent is bound to the hardware they are working on.

It's not the talent, it's the risk. People think nintendo is conservative now and doesn't explore new ideas? Wait until they're dependent solely on selling games and not just hardware to make money

by the way re: last week's bombcast jeff and brad shitting on majoras was hilarious and also maddening which i assume is exactly the effect that was intended

i haven't even played majoras and I was angry lol

Nishastra

Banned
That's not the "purity" he's talking about, he's talking about old school rules vs. the newer Tetris canon, like being able to store pieces. So it's more the base rules he's being grumpy about, not everything around it. For all the stuff surrounding Battle Gaiden, it still very much sticks to the Tetris rules of that time.
Yeah, but it plays nothing like Tetris. The specific rules are pretty much irrelevant.

Myggen

Yeah, but it plays nothing like Tetris. The specific rules are pretty much irrelevant.

If you take into account everything around it, sure. But the base game is still very much old school Tetris. My point is that Brad isn't complaining about a Tetris game having a lot of bullshit surrounding it, he's complaining about the changes to the base game of Tetris. It's very much a "get off my lawn" argument either way.

mygs should put a Majoras mask snippet from the bombcast on Youtube!

I didn't bother because I don't want to have to deal with all the comments on HOW MUCH THEY HATE NINTENDO AND VIDEO GAMES IT ALL USED TO BE BETTER IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN JEFF LOVED ALL VIDEO GAMES. Also, someone else uploaded a portion of it to YT :)

Wunder

If you take into account everything around it, sure. But the base game is still very much old school Tetris. My point is that Brad isn't complaining about a Tetris game having a lot of bullshit surrounding it, he's complaining about the changes to the base game of Tetris. It's very much a "get off my lawn" argument either way.

I didn't bother because I don't want to have to deal with all the comments on HOW MUCH THEY HATE NINTENDO AND VIDEO GAMES IT ALL USED TO BE BETTER IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN JEFF LOVED ALL VIDEO GAMES. Also, someone else uploaded a portion of it to YT :)

I agree with Brad for the most part, but the Hold feature is just straight up better. T-spins and all that shit can go to hell though

Yep.

I mentioned the same thing the last time this argument came up :p.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Finally a good co-op QL with Evolve, something I wanted them to do for a long time, and a very competent Monster Hunter QL thanks to Jason. Also, just a lot of content in general. Great week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom