• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally a good co-op QL with Evolve, something I wanted them to do for a long time, and a very competent Monster Hunter QL thanks to Jason. Also, just a lot of content in general. Great week.

Due to been really busy at work my list is now stacked with stuff.

feels good man.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The battle gaiden video is kinda weird. It's cool to see brad chilling with his friend, but then dan is just there being intense at the game or being silent.

Myggen

The battle gaiden video is kinda weird. It's cool to see brad chilling with his friend, but then dan is just there being intense at the game or being silent.

I thought of it more as Dan learning the game, he asked a bunch of questions when he was playing.

B9wEkqpIYAAG8Ss.png:large

Aerobatics

Neo Member
I can't be the only person who thinks dan sitting alone in a room playing punch out for 30 minutes a day sounds like an insanely unappealing feature.

Zaph

I can't be the only person who thinks dan sitting alone in a room playing punch out for 30 minutes a day sounds like an insanely unappealing feature.

Sounds like a feature where the meta surrounding it will be more fun than the feature itself - like the stats and gifs the community comes up with, the guys teasing him about it in other features, bombcast rants etc. That is assuming it goes on for a while.

I was wondering about the origins of GB's obsession with Tetris Battle Gaiden the other day.

Now I know.

Edit: This dude totally knows his Tetris Battle Gaiden

Myggen

Nah, it sounds like Breaking Dan which is alright in my book!

Anyways, going out drinking on Valentine's Day now. Forever alone!

Bacon

Yeah I'm skeptical. If it was jeff I would have no worries as that dude can entertain all by himself. Hopefully Dan isn't basically silent the whole time.

Sakwoff

Sounds like a feature where the meta surrounding it will be more fun than the feature itself - like the stats and gifs the community comes up with, the guys teasing him about it in other features, bombcast rants etc. That is assuming it goes on for a while.

And then Dan beats the guy first day.

I would love that. Nothing better than a good anticlimax.

Yeah I'm skeptical. If it was jeff I would have no worries as that dude can entertain all by himself. Hopefully Dan isn't basically silent the whole time.

Jar time, bombasticas, NDX (even without the Ricker episode tbh), random streams like Funky Barn, etc

Yep Jeff has a gift i would say, but i think Dan can also pull something off giving his history.

Though will his brand of entertainment resonate near as much as Jeff's (again given his history and hell even current stuff) is the major question.

We'll see

I can see Dan having a different foil every now and then similar to the Game Room videos for example. I think there's fun to be had with each staffer winding him up a slightly different way.

Then he'll do an episode with Eric Pope and succeed.

[EDIT - Didn't mean to quote.]

Honestly I could see cases for any of 3, 4, or Underground being the best Tony Hawk. Maaaaybe Underground 2 if you just wanna argue that it was the furthest they went with that gameplay before fucking it up.

Ketch

I liked the encyclopedia bombcastica, but it didn't really feel like it fit the name of the video series. the BE's that jeff and alex did were alot more about the games themselves, their history and why they were important and stuff... this was more like a UPF or quicklook EX or something. They didn't really talk much about tetris battle gaiden except for how to play.

It's probably just because nobody around really knows much of anything about the history of game or it's developement, but whatever.

Lelcar

I liked the encyclopedia bombcastica, but it didn't really feel like it fit the name of the video series. the BE's that jeff and alex did were alot more about the games themselves, their history and why they were important and stuff... this was more like a UPF or quicklook EX or something.

I'm actually surprised that they made it an Encyclopedia Bombastica, because in Jeff's tumblr post I get the impression that he's been trying to get away from that term for a while and figure out a new way to do retro videos.

In retrospect though, Brad's friend was almost literally an encyclopedia for that game.

Don't break my heart again, Tony. I would take a new, quality THPS game over just about anything. "To be released this year" worries me though considering it's barely even been announced. Unless they've been doing this on the low for a while.

The early THPS games were sort of like all the good NES sports games in that you didn't really need to give a crap about the skating and the culture surrounding it to enjoy the games. I'd probably give a new "old school" THPS game a try, and I couldn't really care less about skating.
Patrick & brad best friends forever
Patrick's history is weird.

I really like that Tetris Battle Gaiden video. The secret origin story of Bradley Shoemaker has nowhere near as much exposure as Jeff and Dan.

KingKong

The early THPS games were sort of like all the good NES sports games in that you didn't really need to give a crap about the skating and the culture surrounding it to enjoy the games. I'd probably give a new "old school" THPS game a try, and I couldn't really care less about skatin

They were basically just arcade games, get a high score by doing combos and completing objectives in 2 minutes. I'd take a new Skate game in a heartbeat though

tchocky

Does anyone know if this concert footage still exists somewhere online.

Jeff Gerstmann
8/28/99

GERSTMANN-MANIA OVERTAKES NEW YORK!
Go to www.playstation.com and look for the Um Jammer Lammy live concert.
Then scroll ahead to around the 23 minute mark. Then watch me stand on a
stage in a fairly drunken stupor.

(I even raise the roof, yo!)

Actually, you should just watch the entire show, because it's really quite
impressive. But that's neither here nor there.

--
Jeff Gerstmann

IGN writeup

Jeff Gerstman from Videogames.com and Greg Off from PS Extreme were called up on stage to compete in a surprise contest of head-on-head um Jammer Lammy. (Yes, the small, insignificant IGNPSX was shoved off to the side yet again, ho hum...) The contest wasn't just for bragging rights, however, as the winner received a $300 custom, battery-powered guitar, with a built-in speaker and images of Lammy painted all over it. Gerstman won it, and Off took second (last?) placce with a stuffed Lammy Doll. No offense to either, but neither of them won with a respectable standing. Let's just say the winner didn't even get a "Good" (which leaves "Bad" and "Awful"...), which must have meant both contestants were having way too much fun playing pool and dancing the night away...way far away, probably nearest the closest dojo...the mind...the dojo...the mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom