• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave it to GiantBomb to just break expectations by just stumbling into the end goal LOL

Congrats Dan and its funny what Drew (IIRC) predicted when this feature was brought up actually happened.

Also does the "hmmmms" mean its time for some MGScanlon 3 since time has now been freed up. :p

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe Dan beat Tyson on his first stream, wow. Also Brad is a handsome dude just throwing that out there, you would have to be a real asshole to say otherwise.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I know this game came out like two weeks ago and has already had two Giant Bomb videos so we've all moved on, but Grow Home is a whole lot of fun. The animations and the climbing mechanic felt great almost immediately and I lost time in hour chunks over the weekend because I just wanted to pick it up and run around looking for crystals. It's not very long, but it's 8 bucks with no discount and scratches a 3D collection platformer itch.

Dany

Banned
fPVCjhI.png

Myggen

I know this game came out like two weeks ago and has already had two Giant Bomb videos so we've all moved on, but Grow Home is a whole lot of fun. The animations and the climbing mechanic felt great almost immediately and I lost time in hour chunks over the weekend because I just wanted to pick it up and run around looking for crystals. It's not very long, but it's 8 bucks with no discount and scratches a 3D collection platformer itch.

Yeah, the climbing mechanics takes some getting used to, but when you get it...man, it feels so good to just explore in that game.

Haunted

Yes!

Receiving praise all around, and deservedly so. I think the procedural animation and actual free climbing actually elevates the core gameplay above a simple 3D collection platformer of yore. It feels familiar but also modern, if that makes sense.

Since OoT there were insane expectations attached to any 3D Zelda, especially on generation jumps. There was a subset of extremely volatile, extremely loud and extremely immature Zelda fans around, the same who trashed the Wind Waker aesthetic.

Add to that many people were excited Zelda was returning to a darker aesthetic, which to many people signified a return to OoT greatness and perfection.

Add to that the N64 and GameCube eras where dark times for Nintendo fans and their highly rated exclusives were a source of immense pride. Fanboys basically needed their talking points, and since Nintendo systems at the time sold terribly and had sparser third party offerings than say, the PS2, the immaculate nature of franchises like Mario and Zelda were held up as the triumph of these systems. That would change in the Wii era in terms of sales when the console became a phenomenon but now the system lived or died by its first party AAA games.

Add to that the expectations of a launch title on a new system that was clearly trying something new lots of people loved.

Add to that the review culture at the time generally being anything less than 9.0 signifying a "bad" game, even though Jeff actually rating it great instead of superb. That attitude has not totally gone away today, but I don't feel it's as severe.

So when Jeff gives that score, one which honestly appears totally accurate, he touched on a whole bunch of nerves that had nothing to do with the game's quality (how could it; most people hadn't played it yet).

I never wish to be in video game journalism.

I gotta commend people that can put up with that avalanche of bullshit.

Lelcar

The Brad and Dan rivalry is my favourite thing. They should make a feature where they agree on a game to compete each other with and the one who loses has to perform whatever the losing bet was on camera.

The Brad and Dan rivalry is my favourite thing. They should make a feature where they agree on a game to compete each other with and the one who loses has to perform whatever the losing bet was on camera.

It really is funny. Brad's painfully bad at hiding how much Dan can irk him lol. I love it

I actually think it's reverse at this point. Ever since MPP3, Brad has been getting a thrill of being completely calm but stoking Dan fire at every turn. I think Brad is getting a kick out of it now.

I dunno, I would believe it more if Brad didn't mention how little he cared every five minutes. People who are calm don't constantly refer to how calm they are. But maybe, haha.

Randy42

So I haven't been listening to the bombcast too long but is it not - too - unusual for it to release this late? Feels like its usually been out by like 9 at the very very latest in previous weeks since I started.

So I haven't been listening to the bombcast too long but is it not - too - unusual for it to release this late? Feels like its usually been out by like 9 at the very very latest in previous weeks since I started.

it's been up later, but it's not the norm. nothing to worry about

erawsd

Yeah, Brad said that it would be out really late tonight "for reasons beyond his control".

Lelcar

It's been mentioned numerous times already, but here's one more for good luck

@bradshoemaker: Podcast is going to be super late today due to logistical factors beyond my control. You've been warned!

From Brad's twitter 8 hours ago.

Randy42

Cool was just checking. Been waiting to walk somewhere (since my car's stuck on an icy hill) and was gonna listen to the cast if it came out. Hopefully they didn't already close for road conditions, normal time is midnight so hopefully it'll be out by at least 11 eastern.

Xeteh

It really is funny. Brad's painfully bad at hiding how much Dan can irk him lol. I love it

Especially when nothing he does can get to Dan... Dan just doesn't seem to let anything get to him. I felt like for a while after Dan joined GB Brad was reading emails trying to get a rise out of Dan and it just never worked.

Zaph

I dunno, I would believe it more if Brad didn't mention how little he cared every five minutes. People who are calm don't constantly refer to how calm they are. But maybe, haha.
Whole thing feels kinda forced and unfunny IMO. Wish Brad would just relax and enjoy Dan's Dan-ness without the need to act like he's above it. Almost as if he's read so many dumb 'x hates y' posts he's trying to play up to it.

Lelcar

I felt like for a while after Dan joined GB Brad was reading emails trying to get a rise out of Dan and it just never worked.

Oh man, I forgot about that! Yeah, Brad totally did read a whole bunch of Dan-bashing emails at the beginning there. Actually, I now remember questioning the content of emails that he chose to pull.

Emails got pretty dark for a while under Brad's regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom