• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I don't see why dan is getting hated on for his ipad comment

I would never want to play a touch game like kirby on my console

But

Oh wait I can't because Nintendo don't give a shit about Europe!

I didn't even take that as a "Nintendo should go third party!" kind of comment. I took it as "this feels like a cheap ipad game, not something you charge $40 for on a console" kind of thing. Also, having to look at the tiny touchpad basically the entire time probably factors into that statement.

repeater

ibjNTGFtD2MiJw.gif
I am a huge fan of the Vita, and a couple of weeks ago I heard about qlcrew.com for the first time. Naturally, I tried to see if there was any Vita coverage I'd missed (I've only really been following GB for about a year). Turns out the last thing they looked at for the Vita (except for the Vita TV launch) is "Soul Sacrifice". And before that it's all launch stuff. :/

I am a huge fan of the Vita, and a couple of weeks ago I heard about qlcrew.com for the first time. Naturally, I tried to see if there was any Vita coverage I'd missed (I've only really been following GB for about a year). Turns out the last thing they looked at for the Vita (except for the Vita TV launch) is "Soul Sacrifice". And before that it's all launch stuff. :/

They gang play the vita a lot

I believe Brad prefers the vita over the 3ds

They just didn't have a way to capture game play from vita when it came out.

The only way imo that Bloodborne gets reviewed poorly is if it has major technical issues or the gameplay changes they made end up being poor. Even if there's a bit of exhaustion from the other Souls games the base gameplay should be good enough to net it high scores. I've heard that the technical side of the game is a worry point so hopefully it's not too big of an issue. I didn't like the Souls games enough to where i'd play Bloodborne, especially since I can't hide behind a shield like I always did in Dark Souls.

LiK

The only way imo that Bloodborne gets reviewed poorly is if it has major technical issues or the gameplay changes they made end up being poor. Even if there's a bit of exhaustion from the other Souls games the base gameplay should be good enough to net it high scores. I've heard that the technical side of the game is a worry point so hopefully it's not too big of an issue. I didn't like the Souls games enough to where i'd play Bloodborne, especially since I can't hide behind a shield like I always did in Dark Souls.

people originally hated the slow methodical combat and dying in Souls games but they learned to master that. i'd expect the same for the new game where it focuses more on offense than defense. should be fun.

sjack

Banned
people originally hated the slow methodical combat and dying in Souls games but they learned to master that. i'd expect the same for the new game where it focuses more on offense than defense. should be fun.

I just can't wait for all those idiots claiming that the Souls series has been turned into a hack 'n slash game to be proven completely wrong.

hamchan

Judging from Dark Souls, even major technical issues in certain areas won't stop it from getting a great score.

No more turtling around an enemy!!
git gud Tharp!!

I just can't wait for all those idiots claiming that the Souls series has been turned into a hack 'n slash game to be proven completely wrong.

I just don't understand where people thought this would be a DMC type of game then get angry when it isn't a DMC type of game!?

Judging from Dark Souls, even major technical issues in certain areas won't stop it from getting a great score.

Ehh, I think people's views have changed ever since the whole Dark Souls 2 downgrade thing. If Bloodborne has major technical issues chances are it will be seen as inexcusable since the PS4 has a lot more power to work with than the last gen consoles so something like the wretched Blight town framerate issue shouldn't happen again.

Megasoum

Banned
Offworld Trading Company reminds me a lot of Sid Meier's Railroads. I guess it makes sense with the Fireaxis pedigree.

You had the same stocks system with competitors that you had to buy out and with random auctions coming up. They even use what sounds like the exact same sound effect for the auctions lol (the gavel sound).

Dammit now I really want to play Railroads again... If only it wasn't completely fucked up on modern windows.

It will be interesting to see if Jeff's DOA copy will work. The xbox version seems broken.

Jeff talked about the tweet barage on twitter the other day so he's aware at least.

Myggen

It will be interesting to see if Jeff's DOA copy will work. The xbox version seems broken.

Yeah, he tweeted about that stuff yesterday I think, said that he hadn't had any real issues with the PS4 version so far. The Xbone version sounds seriously fucked though. Like, how is it possible to release a game that's that broken?

Yeah, he tweeted about that stuff yesterday I think, said that he hadn't had any real issues with the PS4 version so far. The Xbone version sounds seriously fucked though. Like, how is it possible to release a game that's that broken?

Also Fight sticks are not working on the xbox version. PC people will need to wait 3 months before online is added in and it is rumored that the PC version will be based on the last gen version.

Dafuq team ninja!?

demidar

Yah that's something that should be picked up by QA or Microsoft certification no?

demidar

Didn't Patrick say on the Medal Of Honor Warfighter that publishers can by pass QA if they promise a day 1 patch ?

I think everyone's been doing that recently.

That seems like a dangerous proposition, especially since reviewers and street date breakers won't get those.

Megasoum

Banned
Didn't Patrick say on the Medal Of Honor Warfighter that publishers can by pass QA if they promise a day 1 patch ?

I think everyone's been doing that recently.

It's common practice yes. When you send a game to certification you can get 3 different results. Denied, Approved or "Conditional". The Conditional means that the game is approved with a day 1 patch.

Also, there's a lot of shady money exchanges and nogociations that goes on with submissions.

Dizzy-4U

PC people will need to wait 3 months before online is added in and it is rumored that the PC version will be based on the last gen version.

Dafuq team ninja!?
Is there any difference between the ps3 and ps4 versions besides resolution? Better sweat tech or something?

Myggen

It's common practice yes. When you send a game to certification you can get 3 different results. Denied, Approved or "Conditional". The Conditional means that the game is approved with a day 1 patch.

Also, there's a lot of shady money exchanges and nogociations that goes on with submissions.

But when a game is this broken, will it still get through cert if they promise a day 1 patch? If so, that more or less makes that whole process completely useless.

edit: Offworld Trading Company looks really promising, hadn't even heard about it before this QL.

Megasoum

Banned
But when a game is this broken, will it still get through cert if they promise a day 1 patch? If so, that more or less makes that whole process completely useless.

There's a lot of factors in play but yes it's possible they would let it go through.

We're talking about the company that let HaloMCC go to market...

Patryn

That's the 360 version, not XBone.

That's not to say that the XBone doesn't have issues, but it's the 360 version that is super duper "How the fuck did this get past cert?" fucked.

Myggen

That's not to say that the XBone doesn't have issues, but it's the 360 version that is super duper "How the fuck did this get past cert?" fucked.

Ah, I misread those tweets then. But yeah, still pretty fucked.

There's a lot of factors in play but yes it's possible they would let it go through.

We're talking about the company that let HaloMCC go to market...

True enough. At least MCC's multiplayer just didn't work, and didn't corrupt any saves that I know of :p

It's mindblowing that MCC still has major issues by the way. That multiplayer must be one of the biggest fuckups in video game history.

Megasoum

Banned
True enough. At least MCC's multiplayer just didn't work, and didn't corrupt any saves that I know of :p

It's mindblowing that MCC still has major issues by the way. That multiplayer must be one of the biggest fuckups in video game history.

The worst part about MCC is that they are releasing so many patches (this has to be a record for a non-mmo game btw) that they are clogging up the whole MS Cert pipeline.

Since it's a first party studio and because it'S a super big game MS always put them in priority which push back other developpers who wants to send games in cert.

Myggen

The worst part about MCC is that they are releasing so many patches (this has to be a record for a non-mmo game btw) that they are clogging up the whole MS Cert pipeline.

Since it's a first party studio and because it'S a super big game MS always put them in priority which push back other developpers who wants to send games in cert.

Yeah, I think the whole farce of them first saying that a patch would be beta tested by the public and then backing off on that speaks volumes about that whole process. What a clusterfuck. At this point I doubt it'll ever get fixed.

like am i crazy for thinking the order doesnt actually graphically look that amazing

it has some really nice cloth stuff and light effects

but like its still mostly dark brown and grey rooms

and the interior details while impressive arent as good as say assassins creed whatever the france one was

it looks really good but not like face meltingly this is the future omg so

like computer games have done this stuff for a while now

like am i crazy for thinking the order doesnt actually graphically look that amazing

and the interior details while impressive arent as good as say assassins creed whatever the france one was

I can say with confidence that The Order is the best looking game ive ever seen. Of course, it pulls this off by reducing screen real estate and keeping things to mostly confined hallways but there hasn't been a game that i've played where shit looked like it could be CG like what i've seen with the Order.

Crysis 3 on the PC looked spectacular, too, but it could be uneven at times.

I can say with confidence that The Order is the best looking game ive ever seen. Of course, it pulls this off by reducing screen real estate and keeping things to mostly confined hallways but there hasn't been a game that i've played where shit looked like it could be CG like what i've seen with the Order.

Crysis 3 on the PC looked spectacular, too, but it could be uneven at times.

I guess I should hold off on such declarations until I've seen it myself in person.

But man I dunno I'm still pretty skeptical.

Myggen

I think it looks technically absolutely amazing, but yeah, the art direction doesn't really do much for me from what I've seen. You can shove all the graphics you want into a game, that grey and brown look will never look very good to me.

I guess I should hold off on such declarations until I've seen it myself in person.

But man I dunno I'm still pretty skeptical.

Jeff has a great point, though: when something looks this good it just makes the stuff that looks wrong stand out more. Jerky animations, NPC slipping on the floor as they move to another position, and clipping are things that, when you have such a fine looking game, it takes you out of that wonderment immediately.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Technically it looks insane. I just don't give a damn about technical graphical quality, specifically when it comes at the expense of frame rate which makes games look and play better. But I'm not big on the photorealism look anyway.

It certainly appears to be the "best looking" game I've seen, with the caveat that we're just judging by visual fidelity and it's running at a low framerate and every environment seems to be really really tiny. Makes for great screenshots, which makes for a great rabid fanbase who is willing to go for the jugular of anybody who dares to say the game itself is actually bad.

Liamc723

Yeah, I think the whole farce of them first saying that a patch would be beta tested by the public and then backing off on that speaks volumes about that whole process. What a clusterfuck. At this point I doubt it'll ever get fixed.

I rarely have a problem playing the multiplayer anymore, it's definitely in a playable state now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It looks fantastic. There are just so many small details they put effort into, you can see why the game isn't longer. I'm a fan of made-up indutrial design anyways, so this is right up my alley. But just like with Assassin's Creed Unity, it feels like a waste.

Xater

edit: Offworld Trading Company looks really promising, hadn't even heard about it before this QL.

Yeah it looks cool. I like the idea of having a sci-fi economic game without any combat. Well there are some ways to fuck with your competition but not real wars. I'll put it on my Steam wish list and get it once it's out of Early Access.

Also I know Dan is reading this thread so here it goes. Dan you should read this biography of Andre the Giant which Box Brown did as a graphic novel. It's really good:

AndretheGiant_Books_Cover-550x733.jpg

That Kirby game probably should have been a shorter game released at $15/20 digitally.

They were pretty hard up for physical Wii u releases in first quarter though.

From a strictly graphical standpoint, I do think The Order looks pretty awesome. Some people don't like depth of field effects, which the game is pretty reliant on, but I like it. They're rendering at a relatively low resolution, and the game is generally confined to small areas from what I've seen, but I would still love a similar looking game to come to PC so it can really be shown off at high resolution and with a good frame rate.

Xater

That Kirby game probably should have been a shorter game released at $15/20 digitally.

They were pretty hard up for physical Wii u releases in first quarter though.

And yet they still decided to delay this to the second half of the year for Europe. It's bonkers.

Everything about video production looks like it might catch on fire at any time. Also SDI cables look like if you touch the metal parts you get an electric shock.

Ah, I misread those tweets then. But yeah, still pretty fucked.

The DOA OT has Xbone users who can't go online with the game crashing every time. The PS4 version has issues as well but they are in the minority i believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom