• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Offworld Trading Company looks sooo goood. Didn't realize it was by one of the leads on Civ IV, the praise its been getting makes a lot of sense.

Xater

Offworld Trading Company looks sooo goood. Didn't realize it was by one of the leads on Civ IV, the praise its been getting makes a lot of sense.

Just saw on Steam it will be in Early Access until 2016. So yeah it will take some time...

Mr. F

Banned
Just saw on Steam it will be in Early Access until 2016. So yeah it will take some time...

Agh, that's far off. I try not to go for Early Access typically, but it looks solid enough that I might pick it up sometime in the next little while.

Liamc723

I've never played Majora's Mask before, so could someone explain the time mechanic to me? Does the story only progress at certain times or something like that?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've never played Majora's Mask before, so could someone explain the time mechanic to me? Does the story only progress at certain times or something like that?

Time is always moving while you're playing. Characters have schedules of activities that they do and the sidequests depend on doing things when people are available or in the right place. You can only reset to the start of the first day if you miss something (or, if you just find a dungeon on the third day for example, you should reset time and go there immediately) but you can make time go double or half speed also.

You have three days before it's game over. You can bring it back to the first day whenever you want but you lose all your progress except for major things (like a dungeon or something). So go do a dungeon and then reset and find another one.

You can explore and fuck around it's not that bad. Plus a lot of the sidequest stuff is heavily schedule dependent (this guy is only at this place at 3 pm on the second day type of stuff) so you need to really manage your time if you want to do things efficiently.

It's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. It's fun learning all of the characters and what they're doing, some of those storylines are amazing.

Fireblend

Banned
The time mechanics are there in Majora's Masks because the NPCs have set activities for pretty much every hour of every day, they're not just standing around always saying the same things. You have to reset time eventually because 3 days aren't enough to finish the game, but afaik there are few main-quest-related developments that occur only at some times that would demand constant time-travelling from you. Side quests are heavily dependent on being at the right time in the right place though, because as I said NPCs are always changing places.

In the 3DS version, instead of making time move twice as fast the Song of Double Time lets you move forward immediately to any hour of any day. It makes those time-sensitive side quests much easier.

Liamc723

Time is always moving while you're playing. Characters have schedules of activities that they do and the sidequests depend on doing things when people are available or in the right place. You can only reset to the start of the first day if you miss something (or, if you just find a dungeon on the third day for example, you should reset time and go there immediately) but you can make time go double or half speed also.

You have three days before it's game over. You can bring it back to the first day whenever you want but you lose all your progress except for major things (like a dungeon or something). So go do a dungeon and then reset and find another one.

You can explore and fuck around it's not that bad. Plus a lot of the sidequest stuff is heavily schedule dependent (this guy is only at this place at 3 pm on the second day type of stuff) so you need to really manage your time if you want to do things efficiently.

It's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. It's fun learning all of the characters and what they're doing, some of those storylines are amazing.

Huh okay, that sounds interesting.

I think I want to get a 3DS, mainly for the 3 Zelda games on the system.

Volotaire

In the quicklook, with regards to Dan and saving, you could save in the old version at owl statues but you had to quit the game when you saved. Of course, this was still a bad system.

Moroever, the masks that have one use also have minor uses as well. Talking to different people will different masks will cause different reaction, and stuff like the Bremen mask can have cosmetic uses when around any animal, such as the dog in clock town.

Volotaire

I wish these Zelda remakes were on Wii U. I just don't like playing anything on the 3DS.

I could see Nintendo in the next generation or two rereleasing these two games rendered at a higher resolution on those platforms. You could by that super expensive 3DS to TV adapter (around 250 dollars IIRC).

komplanen

Considering it apparently took only six months to remake Wind Waker it really is odd Nintendo never began to pump out more remakes for the Wii U.

Holy fuck at that price

the point is that if the thing that kept this fine gentleperson from playing TP was the controls so many years ago then there was a means to get around that. Also, the used prices are around $60 which is both pricey but also relatively normal for a nintendo game with a low production run, especially compared to what happened with Xenoblade and Prime Trilogy.

But really, if we were good people we'd just convince him/her to not even bother. TP was such a meh zelda game, it felt like a zelda by numbers. Even though Skyward Sword was a bit of a meh and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too fucking long, it at least was trying some new shit and doing something different.

also, the NPCs in TP look like monsters. It's got a terrible art direction.

Volotaire

Brad saying how he wants puzzles integrated into the world is exactly what I have wanted out of Zelda U/a Zelda game for at least 5 years. Skywards Sword failed at this approach (puzzles in the overworld) because it was a two tier puzzle system (on the over worlds they had weaker puzzles whereas the main dungeons had much more interesting puzzles and content). This is not to say all of the overworld/outside main dungeon content puzzles were all disinteresting. I want what they presented at the E3 2010 SS demo, a dungeon on the overworld which is seamless to go in and out with multiple approaches to puzzles depending on what items you have.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Holy fuck at that price

Goes for about £30-40 on ebay which is more reasonable I guess.

Volotaire

Patrick tweeting about Brutal Doom has got me excited about the new Doom and the Bethesda conference (which is supposed to be a evolution of the Brutal doom mod).

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
the point is that if the thing that kept this fine gentleperson from playing TP was the controls so many years ago then there was a means to get around that. Also, the used prices are around $60 which is both pricey but also relatively normal for a nintendo game with a low production run, especially compared to what happened with Xenoblade and Prime Trilogy.

But really, if we were good people we'd just convince him/her to not even bother. TP was such a meh zelda game, it felt like a zelda by numbers. Even though Skyward Sword was a bit of a meh and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too fucking long, it at least was trying some new shit and doing something different.

also, the NPCs in TP look like monsters. It's got a terrible art direction.

It's entirely possible that it being a bad Zelda is what got me to stop as much as waggle bullshit. I doubt it though, I abandoned most every game that decided to use spazzing out as a replacement for a button. Mario Galaxy (1) was probably the only game with waggle control that I actually played to completion.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722113203813.jpg

russelbnomt.jpg

00367.jpg

i mean just look at this shit. it's like some shit out of a terrible Double Fine game.

FStop7

Banned
i'm beginning to see why gies couldn't tell emcee was kidding

The Uncharted 3 review thread was... something else. Gies is gonna be Gies, but I agree that it's hard to tell what is real and what is a joke in those threads.

The Order quicklook bored me to tears.

I tried watching the SteamGAF stream of it on Twitch last night and gave up after 10 minutes. The game's so dull and repetitive. I can't believe that what RAD shipped is anything close to resembling what they wanted to ship after 5 years of development.

How could there not be crafting? How could their not be semi-RPG elements? How can there not be actual gunfights vs. the lycans??!?!

The game is screaming to be something more like Diablo cross Deus Ex, but instead it's the worst parts of Heavy Rain and Gears of War smooshed together.

At least most of the issues with Driveclub were technical, and the game is now vastly improved vs. what shipped. It's no excuse and DC deserved every ounce of criticism it got, but it's come a LONG way and is now a lot of fun, though I still find the arcade handling to be out of place in a game so obsessed with reality. But with The Order... there is no patching away what ails that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom