• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

your friend is pretty astute

yosuke is just an all-around loser

like, at the beginning, they try to set him up as this likeable klutz that's gonna be Charlie's BFF but you realise how much of an asshole he really is once kanji enters the stage

I also kind of think his Social Link is the most boring/poorly written in the game. It's kind of all over the place.

strafer

Finally getting around to their Rocky IV commentary.

Really enjoy this.
I am glad they aren't trying to RiffTrax it. Let the comedians do the comedy. I just like the experience of two people i enjoy hearing talk talking about a movie.

"Dudes Exist"- Dan Ryckert

"I'm not a gay man...but i admire that body...yeah i can appreciate this" -Drew Scanlon

Is he talking about Stallone or Dan?

your friend is pretty astute

yosuke is just an all-around loser

like, at the beginning, they try to set him up as this likeable klutz that's gonna be Charlie's BFF but you realise how much of an asshole he really is once kanji enters the stage

Yeah he's an asshole to everyone, I still like him and I really like that Atlus just decided to make a character who's just an asshole teenager and I think they do a good job with his character but Kanji is where the true BFF action is at.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yukiko is pretty chill. Chie's a bit try-hard, and Naoto and Rise can fuck right off.

Yukiko isn't a try hard?

nxkih3.jpg.gif

daydream

Banned
Yeah he's an asshole to everyone, I still like him and I really like that Atlus just decided to make a character who's just an asshole teenager and I think they do a good job with his character but Kanji is where the true BFF action is at.

oh yeah, if you wanna make a case for him being a well-written character, i'm right there with you

like you said, they pretty much nailed the teenager assholery

i doubt this was the angle persona fans were coming from for that poll, though

and Naoto and Rise can fuck right off.

crazy fucking talk

if there's one thing I've learned in all my time playing games and watching anime and following idols, it's that japan and the west almost never agree on their favorite characters or members.

I mean, Yosuke is basically the "cool guy" you see in any high school based j-drama, so I can't be surprised that a character that fits a popular trope is popular.

Antiwhippy

Seriously, yukiko is written like she's constantly on weed.

Meanwhile rise is written like she's constantly on MDMA.

Myggen

if there's one thing I've learned in all my time playing games and watching anime and following idols, it's that japan and the west almost never agree on their favorite characters or members.

I mean, Yosuke is basically the "cool guy" you see in any high school based j-drama, so I can't be surprised that a character that fits a popular trope is popular.

The popularity of Lightning (Final Fantasy) in Japan is something that will forever baffle me.

Yukiko is the kind of girl that peaks in high school and then the rest of her life is a string of depressing pregnancies and broken dreams. She'll spend the majority of her life attempting to live vicariously through her six children who want nothing to do with her.

danm999

The popularity of Lightning (Final Fantasy) in Japan is something that will forever baffle me.

That is really confusing, yeah.

Lightning is one of those characters that really needs the Red Letter Media character test run over them of "describe this character without talking about their appearance or listing their actions".

Because having played all three of those games, I'm coming up pretty short.

LiK

Yukiko is the kind of girl that peaks in high school and then the rest of her life is a string of depressing pregnancies and broken dreams. She'll spend the majority of her life attempting to live vicariously through her six children who want nothing to do with her.

lol jesus christ

Jintor

happens to all teen rpg heroes

oh yeah, if you wanna make a case for him being a well-written character, i'm right there with you

like you said, they pretty much nailed the teenager assholery

i doubt this was the angle persona fans were coming from for that poll, though

crazy fucking talk

The popularity probably just comes down to the forced BFF stuff, Junpei always does poorly in these polls which is likely because he's the opposite of Yosuke in that he doesn't really like you for a while.

danm999

Yukiko's Social Link is depressing as shit in that regard. Before she's even 18 she's basically accepted that she's going to have to spend the rest of her life running a hotel in bumfuck nowhere because family. Most people don't get chewed up and spat out by the world like that until they're in their 30s.

Just about Kanji - yeah, a lot there to criticise, but I do like how he is often assertive during the investigation, whether it be
questioning young detective regarding Namatame
or
during Naoto's confrontation with her other self.

Antiwhippy

Hey, I'm not talking who's the better waifu. Just talking about character writing here.

>_>
<_<
>_>

On a serious note though junpei has depth man. He's not just your generic-trust-you-immediately best friend. You have to earn his trust but once you do he's got your back.

Jothel

Oh nice, I was gonna go for them but I started filling out the application and then found out the deadline was the next day and there is no way to fill out that application with everything in less than 24 hours, how are you finding it? Did they put you in the middle of nowhere?

Yukiko's Social Link is depressing as shit in that regard. Before she's even 18 she's basically accepted that she's going to have to spend the rest of her life running a hotel in bumfuck nowhere because family. Most people don't get chewed up and spat out by the world like that until they're in their 30s.

The best night of Yukiko's life was when she slept with some kid from the city who was also fucking her best friend, a genius detective prodigy, a popstar, a delinquent girl, a drama queen, and a little girl with a trombone. If she thought about it at all, she'd realize he didn't actually care about her and was simply addicted to sex. If she thought about it on a deeper level, she'd realize she would most likely be at the bottom of that list. And that would break her because her entire conception of love was built on that one night.

LiK

i take it she's an angsty teenager? seems like she's quite effectively written judging from the general reception

agreed on the design

well, she was alright during the main game but after learning who she really was in the Golden Epilogue, i liked her in the end.

danm999

The best night of Yukiko's life was when she slept with some kid from the city who was also fucking her best friend, a genius detective prodigy, a popstar, a delinquent girl, a drama queen, and a little girl with a trombone. If she thought about it at all, she'd realize he didn't actually care about her and was simply addicted to sex. If she thought about it on a deeper level, she'd realize she would most likely be at the bottom of that list. And that would break her because her entire conception of love was built on that one night.

It's always tickled me that in a game fundamentally about facing hard truths, this dude blows into town and has more tail than Miles Prower, and everybody politely declines to address that fact and continue on as usual (maybe it's different in Golden).

man, poor yukiko

i take it she's an angsty teenager? seems like she's quite effectively written judging from the general reception

agreed on the design
Pretty much yeah, she's not great but she could of been worse, her poetry however is the worst. People seem to dislike her more now after that recent Golden anime but she's ok in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom