• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Aw yeah!

edit:

tumblr_inline_nkh8vdfs4d1scir8h.gif

edit2:

tumblr_nki5gkeNYi1qzopezo1_250.gif

this happened when I was younger when I used to go to a few comic cons. I was star struck with some artists cuz I grew up admiring their works. never cared for actual celebrities from TV /movies tho.

Don't get me wrong, I like talking to people whose work I enjoy, I'm just not usually a goober about it. I've been to some lame conventions where attendance was poor and found myself talking to bored guests and have had a really good time just shooting the shit. Ernie Hudson is basically the nicest guy ever.

LiK

Don't get me wrong, I like talking to people whose work I enjoy, I'm just not usually a goober about it. I've been to some lame conventions where attendance was poor and found myself talking to bored guests and have had a really good time just shooting the shit. Ernie Hudson is basically the nicest guy ever.

yea, it's always good when you meet someone you admire or know and they turn out to be nice people. i fear meeting someone i like and they turn out to be dicks.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I remember Drew saying another MGS was in the can. Do we know when that goes live?

One year from today.

really though I don't know, probably tonight or tomorrow morning, whatever the old schedule used to be.

I got a chance to watch Metal Gear Scanlon 3 episode 1 yesterday. MGScanlon 2 did not make me want to play that game at all, but MGS3 actually looks playable and somewhat fun. I kinda want to give it a shot.

I got a chance to watch Metal Gear Scanlon 3 episode 1 yesterday. MGScanlon 2 did not make me want to play that game at all, but MGS3 actually looks playable and somewhat fun. I kinda want to give it a shot.

Yeah, I love those old Metal Gear Solid games in retrospect, but Snake Eater is the only one that looks like it holds up wonderfully gameplay-wise.

MGS 3 is the most complete package of all the games to me. 'Best' is subjective but I think it's the best combination of game mechanics and story of all the MGS games. I thought 1 had a better story than 4 (which is tough because of everything 4 had to address) but 4 had better mechanics and set pieces (go figure being made so much later). 3 to me is the best overall game.

LiK

MGS 3 is the most complete package of all the games to me. 'Best' is subjective but I think it's the best combination of game mechanics and story of all the MGS games. I thought 1 had a better story than 4 (which is tough because of everything 4 had to address) but 4 had better mechanics and set pieces (go figure being made so much later). 3 to me is the best overall game.

my man

With the full disclosure that I've only played Ground Zeroes, like 30 minutes of MGS4, and about an hour of MGS3, I find the traditional shooting mechanics of MGS kind of a detriment to having fun. Granted, it's not a shooter, and I understand that, but during a boss fight you're kind of forced into these clunky shooting controls.

That said, I'm really enjoying what I've played of MGS3 so far, and everything aside from the shooting is top notch. It's just frustrating to play knowing that modern MGS games are so much more playable.

LiK

With the full disclosure that I've only played Ground Zeroes, like 30 minutes of MGS4, and about an hour of MGS3, I find the traditional shooting mechanics of MGS kind of a detriment to having fun. Granted, it's not a shooter, and I understand that, but during a boss fight you're kind of forced into these clunky shooting controls.

That said, I'm really enjoying what I've played of MGS3 so far, and everything aside from the shooting is top notch. It's just frustrating to play knowing that modern MGS games are so much more playable.

This is true, none of the shooting was any good in the previous four4 MGS games. They were passable at most. I played for the stories and crazy boss encounters.

Like Drew is discovering, the thing about 3 that I liked was that is went back is much more low-tech (relatively) I find the cold War setting more interesting than the future-war stuff. The mechanics in all the MGS can be a hindrance to new players but once you get it down, it works really well.

LiK

Like Drew is discovering, the thing about 3 that I liked was that is went back is much more low-tech (relatively) I find the cold War setting more interesting than the future-war stuff. The mechanics in all the MGS can be a hindrance to new players but once you get it down, it works really well.

I wonder what Drew will think of MGS4. Gonna be jarring lol

I can tell Drew loved being able to stealth around one of the first sections in the game. Unlike MGS2 or MGS1, it really lets him delve into an enemy area and the hiding feels like a reward for actually being creative(Which bushes to take, going through tree trunks, using camo.) instead of just avoiding an enemy pat.

I think one of the most difficult parts for me is getting over the hump of, "well, you're not one of those players that you've seen on youtube, so stop trying to do it perfectly." I'm almost so paralyzed with fear at getting an Alert because I feel like I've failed if I do. So watching Drew screw up has definitely helped in that regard.

I think one of the most difficult parts for me is getting over the hump of, "well, you're not one of those players that you've seen on youtube, so stop trying to do it perfectly." I'm almost so paralyzed with fear at getting an Alert because I feel like I've failed if I do. So watching Drew screw up has definitely helped in that regard.

That's why I personally stopped MGS4. I tried to get a perfect Big Boss run the 2nd time through, and failed every time. I think I also imposed on myself a no gun(Not even Tranq) rule. I dunno I'm weird.

That's why I personally stopped MGS4. I tried to get a perfect Big Boss run the 2nd time through, and failed every time. I think I also imposed on myself a no gun(Not even Tranq) rule. I dunno I'm weird.

It's just that the games are so well crafted that you don't want to let them down. You really, really want to play the game it was meant to be played, you want to do justice to the game. Which means wanting to take advantage of all the mechanics you have and doing it the cool way rather than the easy way. And it can get frustrating.

Oh yeah, I had to play the game 5-6 times before I got to that point. You really need to use all the tools, including guns. So if you blow an alert, don't worry about resetting tor trying to do it again perfectly, just shoot or stab everyone and move on. The mindnumbing section by section replay should come much later.

I know dan hates anime but he really does seem like someone who would like Dragon Ball Z, especially given his appreciation of Rocky IV and Sports Entertainment.

Maybe DBZ Kai would be a good fit for him, but given that wrestling is almost entirely filler episodes perhaps he could handle the original series just fine.

Drew is going to hate MGS4.

It's the most uneven of the main games and definitely takes a huuggggggeeeee nosedive from act III onward. he would just be one of the many who accept MGS4 as the price we paid for supporting MGS2.

LiK

I know dan hates anime but he really does seem like someone who would like Dragon Ball Z, especially given his appreciation of Rocky IV and Sports Entertainment.

Maybe DBZ Kai would be a good fit for him, but given that wrestling is almost entirely filler episodes perhaps he could handle the original series just fine.

It's the most uneven of the main games and definitely takes a huuggggggeeeee nosedive from act III onward. he would just be one of the many who accept MGS4 as the price we paid for supporting MGS2.

Drew likes anime!

- J - D -

It's been my impression from just watching Drew react to events unfolding in the story that he's not really invested in the crazy like Dan, who practically bathes in it.

I still don't get the feeling that there's an aspect of the MGS games that Drew is really, really into. It's not the gameplay, that's for sure. He reacts to the lore from an appreciative but detached standpoint, that's more often than not blunted by how hamfisted and corny it all is. Often, something stupid will have occurred on screen, and Dan will get super excited and look over to Drew like a little kid seeking validation, and Drew just seems to comply just to be nice.

The times when I think Drew's interest is genuinely piqued is when Kojima gets into the technical parts of espionage, politics, and general warfare.

He approaches the MGS series from an academic perspective.

He is going to hate MGS4.

Zocano

Yah, it's weird seeing Drew be mostly deadpan to a lot of stuff he encounters in MGS. I say this mostly because he's sort of committed to doing this epic all-series playthrough and yet sort of just seems aloof to a lot of the game's style.

Though I also think MGS has always been too clunky (in both story and gameplay) for its own good so him getting frustrated with the gameplay at least is a nice self-confirmation device.

LiK

Drew likes MGS series. He said he finds them fun which is why they're still doing Metal Gear Scanlon. The train never stops!

Zocano

Drew does act more aloof than the others, that's for sure, but it's especially noticeable next to Dan who just sort of throws out every emotion in spades.

- J - D -

Drew likes MGS series. He said he finds them fun which is why they're still doing Metal Gear Scanlon. The train never stops!

I never question why they're doing the series and I'm sure Drew likes it, but just not how Dan likes it. Which is fine.

daydream

Banned
with the popularity of mgscanlon and dan's deluge of enthusiasm, you think drew could just go "it was interesting but nah, didn't really like it" at the end even if it was the truth?

#followthemoney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom