• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Why am I not surprised that Dan thinks that race drivers don't need to be fit physically....Sigh

Edit: Wow that weird French/Japanese flying game is terrible but it really makes me miss Crimson Skies.... I wish Microsoft would bring it back.

Why am I not surprised that Dan thinks that race drivers don't need to be fit physically....Sigh

Edit: Wow that weird French/Japanese flying game is terrible but it really makes me miss Crimson Skies.... I wish Microsoft would bring it back.

Is it common knowledge they have to be? I didn't know either until it was explained to him. I thought they just had to drive cars, I have only ever watched racing once though.

Demo Derby was so good. If Jeff is a locked "guest" it will become my favorite series on the site.

Yup, it was great. I was hoping there would be more videos though. The goofy 90s videos are some of the best parts of those demo discs.

Dizzy-4U

Demo Derby was so good. If Jeff is a locked "guest" it will become my favorite series on the site.

Edit: "Remember when platforms got more powerful but everyone devoted the power to bullshit that wasn't the framerate?"

Preach it Jeff!

Megasoum

Banned
Is it common knowledge they have to be? I didn't know either until it was explained to him. I thought they just had to drive cars, I have only ever watched racing once though.

They would require different level of fitness depending on the type of car obviously but if we take Formula 1 for example.

They have to endure sustaing 3 to 5 Gs of acceleration from every direction for up to 2 hours. Because of the Gs, they can't breathe during turns so they have to hold their breath while turning and then catch up on the straights.

They need extremely powerful neck to be able to sustain that stuff over long periods of time. Then they need really powerful shoulders and arms to be able to turn the steering wheel constantly for up to 2 hours without power steering.

They recently switched to a "drive by wire" system so the pedals are actually just transmitting an electronic signal nowadays but before that the pilot used to need to put up to 85kg (190pounds) of pressure on the brake pedal to be able to slowdown the car enough before taking a turn.

Considering all that, they still have to be very careful while working out because they need all that strength to fit in the smallest and lightest package as possible (they can't afford to get big or heavy). In a formula 1 car, every single pounds is worth a LOT of time on each lap.

Oh and also, they need to be able to stay 100% focused for that 2 hours because any split second bad decision they take could kill them.

Just finished Mario Party Party 3 and I don't understand how anyone could watch that last hour or so and think that they need to stop doing these.

Myggen

Dan calling the super shitty music "Sum 41 shit?"....sigh... smh

Even at the time that Sum 41 was popular the band was largely a punchline. If you hear some shitty pop-punk, chances are someone's gonna guess that it's either Blink-182 or Sum 41.

B8sxoqGCIAAxa5A.png:large

it-is-always-darkest-just-before-the-day-dawneth.png

kai3345

Banned
Demo Derbys need to be a three man affair from now on, that was incredible

It's the perfect trifecta: Dan loves most of the games on the disc, Jeff hates most of the stuff on the disc and they're both attempting to educate Drew, who knows nothing about these older games.

Ketch

gpQ8K9u.png

Dan & Dad videos confirmed!

Someone needs to tweet him that teenage angst time travel game... can't remember the name. Secret Lives or whatever it was.

edit: Life is Strange

edit 2: Also that xbox live low rent RBI baseball knock off with the pause menu guy who says "Tiiiiiiime OUT!", it's called Super Mega Baseball

and next car game/wreckfest, whatever it's called now. I wish I knew how to twitter
no i dont

Someone needs to tweet him that teenage angst time travel game... can't remember the name. Secret Lives or whatever it was.

edit: Life is Strange

edit 2: Also that xbox live low rent RBI baseball knock off with the pause menu guy who says "Tiiiiiiime OUT!"

That game is not low rent. It is a good game.

Eh it was an alright game at the time (I think Jeff was correct on how it ultimately played out) but Drew picked the advanced controls and targeting stuff which iirc is an all new ballgame and doesn't help.

the game hasn't aged well in looks though, which was one of the draws iirc (it definitely was for me plus the exploding shit)

Finished that demo derby vid and i'm all for a 3 man format with Jeff being in there since his knowledge from those eras are pretty fucking great.

Also it continues to amaze me that he would remember some of that shit and with enough details.

KingKong

Finished that demo derby vid and i'm all for a 3 man format with Jeff being in there since his knowledge from those eras are pretty fucking great.

Also it continues to amaze me that he would remember some of that shit and with enough details.

yeah I could listen to Jeff talk about old games all day

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Demo Derby starting off with the showstopper. So glad Jeff was there to educate everybody on the fine art of Tony Hawk ripoffs. I think I completed everything possible in Aggressive Inline.

KingKong

also I'm with Jeff, Quake and HL mods were the best and its amazing that some random non-gamedev guys could create totally unique gameplay experiences like Action Quake/HL or Science and Industry or Natural Selection

Something like Titanfall can't even compare to the precision and thought behind CPMA

Dan coming in on a Saturday to make content. As if there was any question who the mvp of giantbomb is right now

Indeed

iirc he did it before with Drew as well (or was that just the day of the storm that San fran had while Dan was trolling everyone).

yeah I could listen to Jeff talk about old games all day

totally.

he has that encyclopedic knowledge but also his crazy ass personal experience which makes it entertaining (the whole "being on the toilet during the actual death of the dreamcast" thing is fucking hilarious)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom