• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjack

Banned
edit: I'm on episode 50 of the P4 ER again now. That's hands down the best episode of the ER imo.

I'm sorry, but Part 116-117 (really should've been one episode) is the undisputed king of the endurance run (it even says so in the description)

Myggen

I think it's also because many of the "big" ERs have been games with a fair balance of goofiness and seriousness, as well as unexpected insanity and memorable voice acted characters. Chrono Trigger doesn't quite fit that bill, but it's still a really long game. So an ER needs REALLY strong chemistry and ad libbing to fill that void, and I don't think they were ever able to really do that.

Yeah, that's true. I remember a lot of people commenting on how they didn't think Chrono Trigger was a good choice when it was announced for that reason, and that proved to be correct. The game you're playing being insane can go a long way by itself, a good example of that is Game Informer's Super Replay of Illbleed which Dan was a part of.

The best example I've seen of doing a lot with very little in terms of let's plays is GI's Super Replay of Tail of the Sun.

Kirlia

Banned
Yeah, that's true. I remember a lot of people commenting on how they didn't think Chrono Trigger was a good choice when it was announced for that reason, and that proved to be correct. The game you're playing being insane can go a long way by itself, a good example of that is Game Informer's Super Replay of Illbleed which Dan was a part of.

The best example I've seen of doing a lot with very little in terms of let's plays is GI's Super Replay of Tail of the Sun.

Oh God, Tail of the Sun is classic. It helps that each caveperson that Dan played as got their own name and characterization.

Myggen

Oh God, Tail of the Sun is classic. It helps that each caveperson that Dan played as got their own name and characterization.

Yeah, that let's play is so great more or less just because of the commentary. Them trying to draw a map of the game as they play and doing an awful job at it, all the stories they create about each character etc.

Zaph

I think it's also because many of the "big" ERs have been games with a fair balance of goofiness and seriousness, as well as unexpected insanity and memorable voice acted characters. Chrono Trigger doesn't quite fit that bill, but it's still a really long game. So an ER needs REALLY strong chemistry and ad libbing to fill that void, and I don't think they were ever able to really do that.
Yup. I don't "hate" the Chono Trigger ER, I just have no opinion because it never felt like an ER so I didn't even finish the first episode.

Luke_Wal

Just getting around to the Demo Derby, and I agree with the sentiment earlier in this thread that Jeff's insane knowledge of gaming history makes this video awesome. Kind of thing Ryan would have been great at too. (RIP)

Xeteh

Most of the "hate" I saw for the Chrono Trigger ER (and I think people remember more dislike than there actually was for that ER) was them not playing the game correctly. So many people know everything about that game, and when someone's giving out some false information or getting stuck, the same people who have to comment about how "painful" it was to watch someone play a video game will make their opinion known. But sure, there were some general dislike for Patrick thrown in there too.

edit: I'm on episode 50 of the P4 ER again now. That's hands down the best episode of the ER imo.

Yeah for sure, that has always been something that GB (and pretty much every popular gaming outlet) deals with. I do remember a ton of people hating on Patrick and a bunch more getting annoyed with everytime him and Ryan would mention Mode 7 during the ER. Most of it was white noise to me, I was just super stoked for another ER on GB. And yeah, every year or two I rewatch the P4 ER... it is just fantastic.

Myggen

I think Dan is the only one that's confirmed. Drew, Rorie, and Danny are pretty safe bets. Crossing my fingers for Dave, Ian, and Mary.

No Ian, someone here said it was confirmed in the chat of MPP3. I'm guessing by Ian himself since he's in the chat for pretty much every live GB content :) But yeah, I'm betting Mary will be there.

No Ian, someone here said it was confirmed in the chat of MPP3. I'm guessing by Ian himself since he's in the chat for pretty much every live GB content :) But yeah, I'm betting Mary will be there.

boooo, passive aggressive Ian and Rorie were the best part of Pathfinder

That demo derby video was great. Jeff had some great insight on some of those games. Too bad him being there isn't the norm in these videos.

As it's 2AM and I have nothing better to do with my time, I was just going through my likes on Tumblr and I came across this: http://glhb.tumblr.com/post/54941316568/o-o

And now I'm super bummed out. I share this in hope that others will share in my misery.

Seriously though, it'll never not make me incredibly sad to think Ryan is gone, duder was something else.

This has been your bi-monthly reminder that Ryan Davis was awesome.

daydream

Banned
this may sound crazy and/or surprising but Cara would be the first staffer I'd legitimately want to hang out with

anyway, irrespective of that, HIRE HERRRR

As it's 2AM and I have nothing better to do with my time, I was just going through my likes on Tumblr and I came across this: http://glhb.tumblr.com/post/54941316568/o-o

And now I'm super bummed out. I share this in hope that others will share in my misery.

Seriously though, it'll never not make me incredibly sad to think Ryan is gone, duder was something else.

This has been your bi-monthly reminder that Ryan Davis was awesome.

we'll always share the misery

this may sound crazy and/or surprising but Cara would be the first staffer I'd legitimately want to hang out with

not at all crazy

she knows swords

B7q_l7KCYAIofTZ.jpg

she might be a samurai

she hung out with jake adelstein and he gave her a shirt that says "responsible"

she also has this cool shirt

and she has opinions about the 3ds section at target

BearPawB

Banned
I think like Brad and I would have the most in common (I live in Raleigh, got to NCSU, come on).

Dan would be the most fun to go to a bar with.

I would like to have family dinner with Vinny.

Jeff and I would just sit and play some games.

Alex and i would stand awkwardly around a punch bowl, going "soo...."

Rorie and I would just show eachother pictures of our animals for a few hours.

WEEKEND THREAD AHOY

I think like Brad and I would have the most in common (I live in Raleigh, got to NCSU, come on).

Dan would be the most fun to go to a bar with.

I would like to have family dinner with Vinny.

Jeff and I would just sit and play some games.

Alex and i would stand awkwardly around a punch bowl, going "soo...."

Rorie and I would just show eachother pictures of our animals for a few hours.

WEEKEND THREAD AHOY

How could you forget Jason?

Brad and Jason I think I could get down with.

As a non drinker I can't imagine a scenario in which hanging out with Dan ends well for me.

Myggen

I had a strange realization that Brad and Dan are very similar in that the comments section on the site hate one and love the other.

People hate Brad now? Other than the same people who always have to write how much they "cringe" when watching Brad play games of course. Or do they hate Dan?

I probably just don't understand your comment.

People hate Brad now? Other than the same people who always have to write how much they "cringe" when watching Brad play games. Or do they hate Dan?

I probably don't understand your comment.

Has anybody really said this? I can understand "frustrating" but don't get "cringe" as a reaction to play style.

Myggen

Has anybody really said this? I can understand "frustrating" but don't get "cringe" as a reaction to play style.

Oh dude you should check out the Dying Light Co-op comment section. They deleted some comments but there's probably some gold left. "Painful" and "cringe" are words that's thrown around a lot in comment section under QLs when people think someone is playing poorly. It's the worst kind of hyperbole. Those words have lost all meaning if you apply it to watching someone else play a fucking video game.

Kirlia

Banned
People hate Brad now? Other than the same people who always have to write how much they "cringe" when watching Brad play games of course. Or do they hate Dan?

I probably just don't understand your comment.

Both seem to get extreme reactions out of people. They really are the Wa brothers.

Myggen

Both seem to get extreme reactions out of people. They really are the Wa brothers.

I have honestly never seen someone express extreme dislike for Brad. Dan? Sure, you only need to look to the Giant Bomblr Tumblr for some of that flavour, but Brad? Maybe some people who think he's grumpy or take his "salt" against Dan too seriously. Ah well.

For a personality-driven website with a pretty obsessive fan base, the reaction to Dan has on the whole been very positive imo. Hope the new hire is as lucky!

SO WHO THINKS WE'RE GONNA BE GETTING SCANLON 3 MONDAY

I don't. I'm definitely not anticipating it~

Still, the Demo Derby is a good in between.

Kirlia

Banned
I have honestly never seen someone express extreme dislike for Brad. Dan? Sure, you only need to look to the Giant Bomblr Tumblr for some of that flavour, but Brad? Maybe some people who think he's grumpy or take his "salt" against Dan too seriously. Ah well.

For a personality-driven website with a pretty obsessive fan base, the reaction to Dan has on the whole been very positive imo. Hope the new hire is as lucky!

le snip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom