• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff was not fucking around about those damn birds in Far Cry 4, I just got it and I'm about 4 hours in and already terrified when I hear the sound of an eagle overhead.

Myggen

Step your game up son, looking a little flat. :p

image.php

edit: Okay, that was a pretty terrible avatar quote.

Lelcar

Jeff has such an enclycopedic knowledge of games that he should be a permanent member of the Demo Derby videos.

I completely agree. Jeff is always the most entertaining when he's talking about the past in video games. The two demo derbies he's been on have been the best two.

Also, I played a whole lot of Aggressive Inline when that came out.

Myggen

Jeff has such an enclycopedic knowledge of games that he should be a permanent member of the Demo Derby videos.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how he's able to just say something interesting about most games. I think it was Michael Pachter who singled out Jeff in one of his videos as someone who just knows so much about games and the industry.

Zaph

Yup, Jeff's knowledge and understanding of the game industry is staggering, really gives a lot of context to his overall attitude and approach to gaming news.

He's mentioned wanting to write a book a few times, which would be cool, but really I'd love to see him do a loosely scripted, encyclopaedic video series covering the history of modern gaming. Start in the 70's and do one episode for every year.

Myggen

That's why the Game Room videos were so great. I still remember Jeff getting excited about Crystal Castles. They should do more Encyclopedia Bombasticas but with multiple people.

It was good to hear on the Q&A panel(?) that they were planning to do more stuff with older games now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It was good to hear on the Q&A panel(?) that they were planning to do more stuff with older games now.

Oh yeah? Very cool. I didn't listen to the Q&A panel cause every single live QA panel I ever heard was horrible. I'm so glad they don't take phonecalls anymore.
I hope by "old games" they include PS1/PS2 era games.

Also after MGS is over, they need tochange it up and let Dan play through some jRPG.

Myggen

Oh yeah? Very cool. I didn't listen to the Q&A panel cause every single live QA panel I ever heard was horrible. I'm so glad they don't take phonecalls anymore.
I hope by "old games" they include PS1/PS2 era games.

Also after MGS is over, they need tochange it up and let Dan play through some jRPG.

You need to listen to at least the first 2/3-ish of the panel, which is just Lang interviewing Jeff. It's pretty much a oral history of GB, with a lot of great stories (he talks about how he didn't know Vinny very well compared to the others when he started at GB, confirms that R* was the company that took down one of their videos back in the day etc.). The Q&A part was actually alright too, but it's the stuff with Lang and Jeff that's really interesting.

The link is the archive from the 25th here

edit: It's also on Youtube

Was it rorie who dropped his vita in the toilet ?

I had a similar issue a few hours ago but with a cup of coffee now my vita is dead!

Interesting idea! Any particular jRPGs that Dan and whoever guides him (if someone does, and it probably wouldn't be Drew, since he's not big on RPGs) could play through?

Persona 3
leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Tucah

you speak so well
Jeff has such an encyclopedic knowledge of games that he should be a permanent member of the Demo Derby videos.

Agreed, there's a ton of potential for interesting Jeff stories in Demo Derby videos, especially since we don't often see PS2 era games on the site outside of Demo Derby.

That's a good idea! Also, did you really lose your Vita like that? That sucks. :(

Yeah, I remember him talking about it a while back. That is a real bummer Jimmy, are you gonna replace it?

Yeah was looking for some work for one of my classes and managed to knock my coffee on the vita

First time that has ever happened to me!

I want to try and get another Original Vita but retailers in the UK started to phase out them out so i might have to do with the Slim!

Xeteh

Jeff + Dan doing...Persona 5?

I'd be surprised. I think the community has ruined Persona games (at least on GB) for Jeff. Constant questions about ER's and everything related to Persona since the P4 ER came out. It'd be fucking awesome, though.

Myggen

I'd be surprised. I think the community has ruined Persona games (at least on GB) for Jeff. Constant questions about ER's and everything related to Persona since the P4 ER came out. It'd be fucking awesome, though.

Jeff has said that they won't do a playthrough, ER or not, of a newly released game in the future. I'm not sure how old the game will need to be, but P5 is probably out of the picture for that reason alone, as is something like Phantom Pain for a good while.

Also, the community would have so many specific memories and "demands" of anything involving P5 that I think they'll be smart to avoid much more than a QL of that game.

You are probs right, plus the backlash Ryan and Scoopz had when they did Chrono Trigger may have soured him on the whole thing.

Saying that, with New blood like Dan, maybe it won't be as bad? I mean Metal Gear Scanlon is basically an endurance run, literally considering how stressed Drew gets.

They've done several playthroughs of games after the Chrono Trigger ER (I think the community cares much more about any percieved "backlash" against content than Jeff does), like the Souls games, MGS, Doom II, Volgarr etc.

Fevaweva

You are probs right, plus the backlash Ryan and Scoopz had when they did Chrono Trigger may have soured him on the whole thing.

Saying that, with New blood like Dan, maybe it won't be as bad? I mean Metal Gear Scanlon is basically an endurance run, literally considering how stressed Drew gets.

Fevaweva

They've done several playthroughs of games after the Chrono Trigger ER (I think the community cares much more about any percieved "backlash" against content than Jeff does), like the Souls games, MGS, Doom II, Volgarr etc.

I know, I have watched all of that content :p maybe if they don't call it an endurance run. Dansona 5 or something...

I know it won't happen, but a man can dream. A man can dream...

Fevaweva

Jeff needs to be a staple for Demo Derby from now on. Love dan and drew, but Jeff's knowledge is key.

I agree 100%. The fact that Jeff was actually there reviewing games professionally when the demos was being released adds so much to the series.

Dan and Drew are great, but this demo derby would not have been half as good if Jeff wasn't there dropping fact bombs as he is wont to do

Myggen

I know, I have watched all of that content :p maybe if they don't call it an endurance run. Dansona 5 or something...

I know it won't happen, but a man can dream. A man can dream...

I'm just saying that they still do playthroughs of games, just not ERs.

GB is more likely to hire Patrick back to the site tomorrow than it is to do anything more than a QL and maybe a bit more with P5. I think Jeff recognizes that the community would have so much expectation built up for anything involving that game, that they're best of just leaving that be and moving on to other games.

Xeteh

I think that had more to do with how much hate Patrick was getting with the shitty part of the GB community when he was still relatively new. And it was a new ER... but it wasn't Jeff and Vinny so there's no real surprise that people acted like assholes.

I remember what Myggen is talking about though... about how they won't do playthroughs of new games. Even then, I still think Jeff is soured on anything Persona outside of his own time. I'll be surprised if he plays through P5 on his own time, though his girlfriend has been playing through DA:I and FFX:HD (and dragging him along) so who knows!

Myggen

I think that had more to do with how much hate Patrick was getting with the shitty part of the GB community when he was still relatively new. And it was a new ER... but it wasn't Jeff and Vinny so there's no real surprise that people acted like assholes.

I remember what Myggen is talking about though... about how they won't do playthroughs of new games. Even then, I still think Jeff is soured on anything Persona outside of his own time. I'll be surprised if he plays through P5 on his own time, though his girlfriend has been playing through DA:I and FFX:HD (and dragging him along) so who knows!

Most of the "hate" I saw for the Chrono Trigger ER (and I think people remember more dislike than there actually was for that ER) was them not playing the game correctly. So many people know everything about that game, and when someone's giving out some false information or getting stuck, the same people who have to comment about how "painful" it was to watch someone play a video game will make their opinion known. But sure, there were some general dislike for Patrick thrown in there too.

edit: I'm on episode 50 of the P4 ER again now. That's hands down the best episode of the ER imo.

Kirlia

Banned
Most of the "hate" I saw for the Chrono Trigger ER (and I think people remember more dislike than there actually was for that ER) was them not playing the game correctly. So many people know everything about that game, and when someone's giving out some false information or getting stuck, the same people who have to comment about how "painful" it was to watch someone play a video game will make their opinion known. But sure, there were some general dislike for Patrick thrown in there too.

The exact same criticism I've seen people level at Metal Gear Scanlon, although it seems much more loved than the Chrono Trigger ER was.

Myggen

The exact same criticism I've seen people level at Metal Gear Scanlon, although it seems much more loved than the Chrono Trigger ER was.

As I said, the Patrick hate contributed to that to be sure. But I also think the MGScanlon series is much more entertaining than the Chrono Trigger ER was, for whatever reason. Maybe Ryan/Patrick wasn't a very good combo back then.

edit

2721760-3959398999-qq6uX.gif

I think it's also because many of the "big" ERs have been games with a fair balance of goofiness and seriousness, as well as unexpected insanity and memorable voice acted characters. Chrono Trigger doesn't quite fit that bill, but it's still a really long game. So an ER needs REALLY strong chemistry and ad libbing to fill that void, and I don't think they were ever able to really do that.

Kirlia

Banned
As I said, the Patrick hate contributed to that to be sure. But I also think the MGScanlon series is much more entertaining than the Chrono Trigger ER was, for whatever reason. Maybe Ryan/Patrick wasn't a very good combo back then.

The Dan/Drew combo is great, to be sure. But yeah, what little criticism I've seen about MGS always has to do with Drew not playing the game right. Although doesn't he always improve while playing each game?

I think Demo Derby needs to be a 3 man operation from now on.

I'm inclined to agree. I love the ones with just Dan and Drew, but Jeff does add a lot to the Demo Derbies. At the same time, a Demo Derby without Drew and him being educated on older games he didn't play would feel off as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brad on a Demo Derby sometime, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom