• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily DOTA is better then the Persona 4 Endurance run.

jW3EkvN.png

Lesson learned: Nintendo should vaguely threaten to discontinue all of their products after a few weeks. No one gives a shit about Yoshi's New Island now but insinuate that it's going away soon and people will be shanking each other in the electronics aisle.

Lesson learned: Nintendo should vaguely threaten to discontinue all of their products after a few weeks. No one gives a shit about Yoshi's New Island now but insinuate that it's going away soon and people will be shanking each other in the electronics aisle.

This dates all the way back to Super Mario 3, if not earlier. Create a feature film to promote the game, ship a fraction of the copies that there is demand for. My family hit like 20 stores in two states trying to find copies.

Oh man, that is fantastic. Shows you how little reactions to negative reviews have changed.

Man I remember the meltdowns on GameFAQs NGG(Which itself was quite a controversial board, it was Next-Gen Gaming, but they almost took it down and changed the name to Non-Stop Gaming because the, nickname they accrued...if NeoGAF users are Gaffers, NGG users are...). Still, I spent time on that board. Memories. Anywho, the meltdowns were pretty awesome. When this happened, I figured this Jeff dude was a pretty cool dude.(I've never played a Zelda game to completion, so this 8.8 score was hilarious to me) Edit-Looking at it, this isn't actually from NGG, but I recognize some NGG regulars in there. Definitely an invasion..

Edit-Warning there's some offensive language in this

Myggen

Basic economics right there, just decrease the supply or at least say you're going to do it. Some of the stories that have come out of people trying to find specific Amiibos have been hilarious.

Myggen

Man I remember the meltdowns on GameFAQs NGG(Which itself was quite a controversial board, it was Next-Gen Gaming, but they almost took it down and changed the name to Non-Stop Gaming because the, nickname they accrued...if NeoGAF users are Gaffers, NGG users are...). Still, I spent time on that board. Memories. Anywho, the meltdowns were pretty awesome. When this happened, I figured this Jeff dude was a pretty cool dude.(I've never played a Zelda game to completion, so this 8.8 score was hilarious to me)

Edit-Warning there's some offensive language in this

And people wonder why so many sites still grade games on a 7-10 scale.

The reaction to the 8.8 review is what taught me that the internet was a horrible place when I was 14. I was a big Zelda fan and I didn't bat an eyelid at the score until I went on to the GameFAQ message board. It was pretty fucking stupid.

popo

I wanna log in to Giant Bomb to upgrade to a premium account but its been years since I logged in last and no matter what email I put in for the 'forgot password' thing, it says it doesn't exist which simply can't be true cause I've only used a few accounts for websites and I know them all. I think my Giant Bomb 'Maklershed' account will be stuck in limbo forever. :(

support@giantbomb.com

Rorie mans that account and if anyone can help you then he is the one. I remember the shit show support used to be before they hired Rorie.

Let's not leave our own filthy neighborhood out of this conversation. Here's the NeoGAF twilight princess review thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129580

First reply:

I was going to say "this is the Giantbomb thread, you don't need to censor swearing" then I looked at the thread.

What kind of warped person do you have to be to have that reaction but also think you should censor your swearing? People are fucking weird.

Myggen

Let's not leave our own filthy neighborhood out of this conversation. Here's the NeoGAF twilight princess review thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129580

First reply:

Oh MY....No words. Gertsman delivers.

Internet.
1992-2006.

Here lies Jeff Gerstmann. He likes cheeseburgers.

WHAT. THE. ****.

To any one who's thinking about running into this thread and say that 8.8 is still a good score, SHUT THE HELL UP AND GET THE **** OUT.

So after 4 years of work Nintendo manages to put out a great, but not classic RPG? :lol

YOSHI'S ISLAND DS > THE LEGEND OF GERSTMAN: TWILIGHT PRINCESS

lol

It's also interesting to see how the general opinion of the Wiimote has changed from back then. I'm sure more or less everyone would agree with what he wrote about it today.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was going to say "this is the Giantbomb thread, you don't need to censor swearing" then I looked at the thread.

What kind of warped person do you have to be to have that reaction but also think you should censor your swearing? People are fucking weird.

At the time there was a word filter due to the ad partner.

Myggen

Modern NeoGAF reviews threads have only slightly evolved to be honest. The Uncharted 3 thread was at times just as unreadable.

Very true. People building up hype for games, especially exclusives, and then just lashing out at scores and reviews they see as not good enough despite not playing the game themselves is still very real. The really sad thing is that most of the time those negative reviews prove to be on-point, Uncharted 3 is a great example of that. Gamers say they want reviewers to use the whole review scale, but when they do there's always incredible backlash against it because people are only used to the 7-10 IGN scale.

edit: Also, that GAF review thread probably has more personal attacks on Jeff than the GS thread. Good times.

So, somehow on this depressing night I have stumbled onto my old (circa 2005) Gamespot account, and I found forum posts of me defending Jeff's infamous Twilight Princess review:

I'm very proud of teenage me. Then I read other things I posted around that time, and my pride dies.

Here's the full thread if you want your brain to melt. It includes sincere calls for a petition to re-review the game. I wonder how many of these morons went on to become GamerGaters.

I once posted on the gamespot forums attempting to troll Halo fans when Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble beating Master Chief in that infamous character battle. Got banned for it which wasn't a big deal if I didn't use GameFAQs a lot during those days for setting up Pokemon trades.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
thank god I wasn't on gaf at that time.

I don't think I was logged in during the three hour shelf life of that thread, but I found myself in a few forum archive posts when skimming for that one. Kind of surprising how many people are actually still here and active from 12+ years ago. At least one user is still active and posting with a tag obtained from an archive topic he started, wearing that badge since MGS3 was brand new.

edit: I need to stop reading the forum archive. I most certainly did not need to know that the Tom Cruise/Oprah incident was nearly ten god damned years ago.

kingocfs

So, somehow on this depressing night I have stumbled onto my old (circa 2005) Gamespot account, and I found forum posts of me defending Jeff's infamous Twilight Princess review:

I'm very proud of teenage me. Then I read other things I posted around that time, and my pride dies.

Here's the full thread if you want your brain to melt. It includes sincere calls for a petition to re-review the game. I wonder how many of these morons went on to become GamerGaters.

Hey man, nothing to be ashamed about. I wrote a review for Greg Hastings Tournament Paintball and gave it an 8.9.

As long as you weren't calling people sheep and lemmings...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ever since i first found this, i've been waiting for a single occasion on which it'd be appropriate to shout THAT'S TEKKEN, YOU LUSH

Uh.

Gerstmann is so pro-N64 that it isn't even remotely funny.

edit: I think I recognize the person who wrote that as a former GAF user. (google google google) Yep, that's definitely him. Can't believe I actually forgot why that name was familiar.

Myggen

Do we know who's doing the Besieged Unfinished? I hope it's Vinny, it's a proper Vinny-ass game.

Drew and Brad, said so at the end of UPF. Brad seemed to really love the game after the QL.

Also, I don't think I've seen this tweet from Alex here yet:

The Dreaded Alex @alex_navarro · Jan 30

First Quick Look in the new studio recorded. The space is still a work-in-progress, but the QL machine is basically up and running again.

Drew and Brad, said so at the end of UPF. Brad seemed to really love the game after the QL.

Also, I don't think I've seen this tweet from Alex here yet:

Well I'm sure Brad and Drew can build some crazy stuff too.

Good to hear about the studio, I guess the first QL would be Grim Fandango.

I'm a huge Zelda fan and was hyped for Twilight Princess like any Zelda fan would, but not even my immature 15 year old self would throw a shit over a game review on the internet. I just can't fathom how off the deep end you have to be to react that way. 8.8 is a very generous score.

strafer

seeing people getting this upset over a game is weird seeing as I haven't played a single Zelda game, I don't know squat about it.

But to me 8.8 is a fucking good score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom