• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Square is so weird because they're a very Japanese company that is trying to appeal to Western audiences, which usually winds up with an amalgamation that makes no sense to anybody.

Square is so weird because they're a very Japanese company that is trying to appeal to Western audiences, which usually winds up with an amalgamation that makes no sense to anybody.

you don't develop a game for almost a decade and not try to appeal to the broadest base possible, especially given that japan has become a console wasteland where the only real machines moving units (portables) just got a swift kick in the dick with Nintendo's mobile announcement.

So if you're making a major console game in Japan these days it better have either western appeal to it or have the words Dragon Quest on the box somewhere.

you don't develop a game for almost a decade and not try to appeal to the broadest base possible, especially given that japan has become a console wasteland where the only real machines moving units (portables) just got a swift kick in the dick with Nintendo's mobile announcement.

So if you're making a major console game in Japan these days it better have either western appeal to it or have the words Dragon Quest on the box somewhere.

I'm not saying they're doing the wrong thing. I'm just saying that their output is some bizarre combination that is alien to everybody.

who is excited for dragon quest heroes?

<------ this guy

I don't know yet. I'm one of those weirdos who can get down with some musou when I'm in the mood, but I still stand by the thought that a screen filled with a couple hundred Toriyama characters sounds like a nightmare scenario

but if it ends up being pretty good, I'll probably pick it up sometime

Wunder

Man that paparazzi game seems incredibly unbalanced. It seems nearly impossible for the celebrity to win.

I think you just gotta lame it out. Some stages definitely seem near impossible to win though, but Vinny almost had it with that beach stage. I think if you hit all the fan photo buffs or whatever and hide/dash between cover you can probably make it out. It would probably help if the camera range was a little smaller and/or had a cooldown so you cant just fuckin' spam hits on the celebrity

I think you just gotta lame it out. Some stages definitely seem near impossible to win though, but Vinny almost had it with that beach stage. I think if you hit all the fan photo buffs or whatever and hide/dash between cover you can probably make it out.

Yeah but with multiplayer-focused games, you typically want both sides to be balanced or at least reasonably so. If you typically win only one in about 10 tries as a side, which it looks like might be optimistic for the celebrity, the game becomes fairly boring for the overpowered side and very frustrating for the underpowered side.

tchocky

Yeah but with multiplayer-focused games, you typically want both sides to be balanced or at least reasonably so. If you typically win only one in about 10 tries as a side, which it looks like might be optimistic for the celebrity, the game becomes fairly boring for the overpowered side and very frustrating for the underpowered side.

Maybe it's meant to be a commentary on how a real life celebrity can never win against the paparazzi, or it could just be badly balanced.

Mully

Dan Ryckert has entered my dreams.

I thought I got a worn out puzzles and riddles book instead of Dan's Anxiety book in the mail, in my dream this morning. It looked similar. It had a yellow cover and was the same size as Dan's book, but it wasn't his book. I was freaking out. Like I was ripping apart other packages in my mailbox to see if Anxiety as an Ally was in those packages. Instead more of those jokes and riddles books were in each one.

Then I woke up, and it was 2PM. Thanks Dan Ryckert.

I am going to post Hurling GIFs and hope Dan comes by today to see them

V7Z3joQ.gif

f6lmt6j.gif

YUzA8os.gif

sZDRn54.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I thought I was missing out on some kind of a joke. I could swear the STEAM quicklook was 45 minutes long. Went back to check, 20 minutes. That's probably a good sign in general, right?

RETURN TO THE CRIME SCENE
0:10
0:09
0:08
0:07
0:06

I'm so sick of seeing shit like this in games. This Battlefield mod QL is off to a great start.

eh, it's a chase scene during the game. what's the other options? to have the AI car slow down so that the player can catch up?

I mean, in a real life scenario the car gets away and you fucked up. I guess another option would be to have branching paths but then people will crap on that, too.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Having watched a bit more of the FF QL I'm worried now cause i get Dragon Age "Go to those 6 different places and hit X to complete quest" Inquisition flashbacks :/

eh, it's a chase scene during the game. what's the other options? to have the AI car slow down so that the player can catch up?

I mean, in a real life scenario the car gets away and you fucked up. I guess another option would be to have branching paths but then people will crap on that, too.

If you only have a single path to drive on and the game punishes the user for going off that single path in such a distracting, immersion-breaking, garbage way, then what's the point? Make the damn thing a cutscene.

Hurling looks kinda awesome, and that game they played on the Gamespot show yesterday makes me think a new high-quality hurling game could be a ton of fun. I don't think it will ever be made, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom