• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Weird how in the conversation on the podcast, they all sounded pretty sure that the score didn't factor in to Jeff being fired.

I never really followed review sites too closely. I watched X-Play.

Well, we don't really know how much they were at liberty to say at the time. And the parent company denied in public that it had anything to do with the review. Jeff signed something that pretty much made it impossible to talk about the real reason, and neither side talked about it before CBSi bought GB and him and John Davison sat down and talked about what happened. It's a fascinating interview if you want some insight into the event that made Giant Bomb possible.

So why do you like him now? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

He's pretty funny and knowledgable, but I still don't like how negative he is. I appreciate his perspective and respect that he typically knows what he's talking about, but I feel like he's extremely contrarian even when he doesn't realize it. Even when it comes to wrestling, he has a lot of insight into the ins and outs of the business, but loves wrestlers like John Cena who are typically hated by those in the know and dislikes or outright hates internet darlings like Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar. I could name any number of many games for which he has similarly contrarian opinions, but the point is that he seems to be more inclined to have a controversial opinion, especially if it riles people up.

Lijik

1411259-konami2.jpg

Since that 2010 conference, Igarashi left, effectively killing 2D Castlevania games, Kojima is now leaving, effectively killing Metal Gear and Silent Hill games, and all other Konami franchises were essentially killed off. They seem to be done with the console business after this generation. They should consider selling off some of their franchises.

yes, yes, I like the way you think

Fujii seems to be in pretty good spirits lately actually, which is good. he had a rough patch with his health and everything. apparently he's spending a lot of time with his band.

I love how he continues to make fun of his Konami conference appearance on twitter, even after all this time.

GolazoDan

He's pretty funny and knowledgable, but I still don't like how negative he is. I appreciate his perspective and respect that he typically knows what he's talking about, but I feel like he's extremely contrarian even when he doesn't realize it. Even when it comes to wrestling, he has a lot of insight into the ins and outs of the business, but loves wrestlers like John Cena who are typically hated by those in the know and dislikes or outright hates internet darlings like Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar. I could name any number of many games for which he has similarly contrarian opinions, but the point is that he seems to be more inclined to have a controversial opinion, especially if it riles people up.
Jeff's wrestling opinions might be weirder than his game opinions. Mostly because I get the impression you could literally take all of the wrestling out and he'd be fine with it.

Zaph

Yeah, he's had his moments. But he's always seemed like a good and entertaining guy to me. The Bombcast he was on when he was recently unemployed is a classic.

I liked Sessler. He would pop off in kinda childish ways at times, but he's an industry OG, so gotta give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to that shit.

But seeing him on YouTube shilling for the highest bidder and throwing "how good is your game" softball questions is just sad and illustrates just how few career pathways there are for these guys.

Myggen

I liked Sessler. He would pop off in kinda childish ways at times, but he's an industry OG, so gotta give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to that shit.

But seeing him on YouTube shilling for the highest bidder and throwing "how good is your game" softball questions is just sad and illustrates just how few career pathways there are for these guys.

Sessler needs to eat too!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sessler is awful. I'm glad he disappeared (or people stopped making threads about him). Right up there with Ben Kuchera, except Sessler used to be tolerable.

I hope Kojima becomes a film director.

Nah. He's got too much of a gift for making video games vehicles for many different metareasons, plus the sheer depth of gameplay shenanigans and boss fight design acumen he oversees is excellent.

The Love Plus guy is out too.......

So is Tak Fuji.

Extreme Vampire Love: A Hideo Kojima Game

Who?

Seabass (the Pro Evo guy) left a few years ago too, sounds like he was similarly forced out.

See? They're fitness and mobile now. They are dead to me, they're dead to yall.

Konami is not going to sell off anything. You guys sound crazy. Those franchises are way better exploited as pachinko machines.

But for how long? People play themed pinball and presumably pachinko machines because they remind them of something that they enjoy. After a certain amount of time, the enjoyment of Metal Gear machines would likely dwindle. With that said, they're not going to sell off a franchise unless they're pretty sure that they're going to find a big-time buyer. Otherwise, you have a situation like Mega Man, which I'm sure could have been sold by now if somebody actually wanted to pay a steep price for it. However, Mega Man games would struggle to make a profit from development cost, much less the cost of buying the franchise.

Xater

But for how long? People play themed pinball and presumably pachinko machines because they remind them of something that they enjoy. After a certain amount of time, the enjoyment of Metal Gear machines would likely dwindle. With that said, they're not going to sell off a franchise unless they're pretty sure that they're going to find a big-time buyer. Otherwise, you have a situation like Mega Man, which I'm sure could have been sold by now if somebody actually wanted to pay a steep price for it. However, Mega Man games would struggle to make a profit from development cost, much less the cost of buying the franchise.

They will run their course and then go into the vault. Companies are with their franchises like hoarders. You never know when you might need it so you better keep it somewhere!

They will run their course and then go into the vault. Companies are with their franchises like hoarders. You never know when you might need it so you better keep it somewhere!

Normally I would agree with this, but Konami seems to be wanting to get out of console games for good. We'll see, though.

Megasoum

Banned
I really like Alt+F1 and I think they're doing a great job but GODDAMN I wish I could be on the podcast with them lol. I've been following F1 for a bit over 15 years now so every 5min I have a funny story or a fact about something that happened 10 years ago that is related to what they are talking that I wish I could just add to the podcast.

(to be clear I'm not saying I'm special and obviously there's thousands other people who could do the same thing)

Mr. F

Banned
Didn't Brad mention on the podcast that they were going to be doing some streams this week? Wonder what it was going to be.

Also, the end of PS Home is nigh. Rewatching the other end of MMo videos in preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom