• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
This might be a stupid question, but who are the 8-4 Play people and why does their podcast get uploaded on GB? Always been curious.

santeesioux

Thanks for the GOW3 remaster no one was asking for, Sony. Just cut out the last half of the game since it's designed by and for backup garbage men and sell it for $5 and i might bite.

Persona 5 is like the first exclusive game I have any interest in, I pulled the trigger on a PS4 too early.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
I think that QL just talked some sense into me and I won't be picking up Type-0 at full price.

The thought of a decent action RPG for my shiny new PS4 is appealing but the VO and camera are even worse than I had imaged

first two eps of Unplugged are unwatchable. I don't care how much people love the guys. it's definitely not entertaining. I agree that they needed Jeff there to push them along or hit them with sick burns for taking forever with setting up a character.

Personally, I'm enjoying the series a lot. I got into Baldur's Gate a couple of months ago and begrudgingly learned the basics of DnD mechanics so I found the whole character creation super fascinating. Plus, Dan's subtle attempt at creating DnD Ric Flair and Brad's betrayal were fucking magical moments.

FStop7

Banned
8-4 Play are better than Giantbomb

Do you mean the podcasts? It's pretty close. They're (bombcast and 8-4 play) far and away better than anything else.

This might be a stupid question, but who are the 8-4 Play people and why does their podcast get uploaded on GB? Always been curious.

8-4 is a company in Japan that does localization of games. 8-4 Play is their bi-weekly podcast. Several members of the podcast have backgrounds in games writing. Marc McDonald was with 1UP for many years, I think. They were originally on another site's content delivery network but it went away, so Giant Bomb gave them a new home for distributing their podcast. I think that was Patrick's doing.

8-4 is a localization company based in Tokyo (Shibuya), and made up of former EGM editors. They did the localization for Revengeance, Fire Emblem Awakening, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Imagine: Makeup Artist, and many other games.

http://8-4.jp/about/en/

Edit-

The company got their name from the final level in Sumer Mario Bros.

Giant Bomb Visits 8-4

They are a localization group in Japan, and Patrick Klepek was friends with a few of the staff members. When they lost their old hosting site, GB picked up the slack for them.

edit: boom beaten

Myggen

8-4 is a company in Japan that does localisation of Japanese games to English, and some games the other way (and some other stuff too). It's made up mostly of former 1UP/EGMpeople that the GB guys know from way back, and GB began hosting the podcast they do when 1UP (where it was hosted previously) went under. Patrick got the podcast on the site, but Brad continued uploading it after Patrick left.

John and Mark from 8-4 was on the Bombcast during GDC this year.

edit: Here's an interview Brad did with them a few years back

Bless 8-4 for their localization work in Monster Hunter 4U. Some of the best NPC dialogue for a game with a huge throwaway excuse plot. Dan may not enjoy the cat puns but I sure fucking do.

Guildmarm <3

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much old friends of Giant Bomb who formed a translation company in Japan. They were hosted on 1up.com before, so Patrick kind of brought them over to GB when that site died down.

yo, what the hell, gametrailers

i can't tell if they're being scummy or subversive

Haha, what the fuck. GT needs to do all they can to stay afloat, I guess.

By Fobwashed:

CAjkPF6UcAAptYF.png

wtf

wtf man

LiK

8-4 Play is the Eastern version of GB. If you like one, you gotta like the other one. Jeff and Mark are legends.

Since we're asking questions: Why did Jeff call the site Giant Bomb? Was it because that's what he though the site would end up being after a couple of months? Maybe he was channelling Sakaguchi that fateful day.

Tan

Since we're asking questions: Why did Jeff call the site Giant Bomb? Was it because that's what he though the site would end up being after a couple of months? Maybe he was channelling Sakaguchi that fateful day.

Because giantbomb dot com sounded good.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
From what I understand they did not want anything directly referencing video games in the title, like "games" or "play", so they started with some stereotypical stuff that is in games. I think I remember "red barrel" being on that (long) list as well.
In the end it was just something that stuck and the url was available.

I thought 5 star wrestling was an Unfinished game video. I can't believe that's being sold on PSN but then again many of you have mentioned MOTORBIKE

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

They've discussed a few of the other names they had thought about. They bought a bunch of domains that were vaguely video game sounding, available names that sounded good and went with Giant Bomb. Dave and Jeff have gone into the rejected name ideas a few times in the past, can't imagine which videos they would have been though.

Rainmaker

Banned
Watched the 2010 PAX panel the other night for the first time in years and had completely forgoten that Jeff told the story of when he figured out D&D wasn't for him. He went to play it and someone brought and ate a whole loaf of French bread.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
dafuq i thought that was charlie tunoku with a cape over his school uniform for a second

...yeah, I don't think I could play Type-O for any length of time.

2736377-ffblur.gif

Well if you're swinging the camera around like an idiot it'd be tough. You can just press the R3 button to center the camera right behind you (with no motion blur) and there isn't any motion blur when you lock on to enemies either.

That gif is hilarious though.

Megasoum

Banned
So looks like Kotaku decided to start their own AMA recuring feature which I think is a great idea (albeit not very original).

The thing is... Gawker is renowned for having the worst commenting system on the Internet and then they go and create a whole feature around it.

Manbig

So I just threw on the FF Type 0 quick look. Did Alexa just deliver a giant spoiler early on when she talks about
Mother causing the events of the game to constantly loop like Groundhog's Day
or is that something that is made fairly obvious early on?

Well if you're swinging the camera around like an idiot it'd be tough. You can just press the R3 button to center the camera right behind you (with no motion blur) and there isn't any motion blur when you lock on to enemies either.

It seems like they could just add a toggle to disable that "feature" in an update. But that would require a SE that was agile and smart enough to realize that this is an issue and needs updating ASAP.

so it'll never happen, of course.

I'm asking this here as I'm trying to get a quick answer.

My friend is willing to let me put his PSN account on my PS4 as a secondary device so I can play some of his games. Before we do that, could someone tell me if I'll be able to deactivate my system as a secondary device for his PSN account without any harm done to my account, and how I can do that ? Thanks.

Dave came up with both Giant Bomb dot com and Unprofessional Fridays.

Also, please see the Jeff shaking his head at the Wii U's wifi issues as my response to this week's Bombcast thread (not the awesome OP of course, but much of the discussion).

Then why is it present for rotating the camera? That is a very odd design choice.

Also, please see the Jeff shaking his head at the Wii U's wifi issues as my response to this week's Bombcast thread (not the awesome OP of course, but much of the discussion).

Dan not knowing what a crawfish is was... Words escape me.

I have no idea what's being talked about in there.

It seems like they could just add a toggle to disable that "feature" in an update. But that would require a SE that was agile and smart enough to realize that this is an issue and needs updating ASAP.

so it'll never happen, of course.

Well I don't know why it'd be there in the first place unless something horrible happens when the camera rotates normally (textures falling out of place or something) so that could be why the extreme motion blur is there. But yeah, I could only imagine how many people get sick just looking at it. As someone who gets sick the second I step on my campus's bus, I know that pain.

So I just threw on the FF Type 0 quick look. Did Alexa just deliver a giant spoiler early on when she talks about
Mother causing the events of the game to constantly loop like Groundhog's Day
or is that something that is made fairly obvious early on?

Yeah, that sounds like a giant spoiler. I've played the game for like five or six hours and I haven't run into that yet.

The Type-0 combat looks fun, but goodness that motion blur.

I really like the flexability of the combat. Don't like playing as Ace? Don't use him. Every characters plays very differently so chances are good you'll find someone you like to play as. Personally I like the girl with the pistols (Cater or something I think) because of how fast she moves and how her pistols work.

The biggest problem I have with it though is micromanaging 14 different characters isn't my idea of fun. I wonder if I can just get by, by choosing a couple of characters or if characters will die/be seperated/etc and I'll be stuck using a certain few I haven't leveled up.

Myggen

Oh god, GOW3 Remastered is $40? I didn't play 3 so was kinda interested even though I hate Kratos as a character, but no thanks at that price.

Manbig

Yeah, that sounds like a giant spoiler. I've played the game for like five or six hours and I haven't run into that yet.

Seriously, this quick look seems like spoiler city. She just says something that happens in future events of the game and then adds "I don't want to spoil things" after already spoiling stuff. I'm not even one of those huge anti-spoiler guys and I kind of find this quick look to be pretty bad with it.

Myggen

Seriously, this quick look seems like spoiler city. She just says something that happens in future events of the game and then adds "I don't want to spoil things" after already spoiling stuff. I'm not even one of those huge anti-spoiler guys and I kind of find this quick look to be pretty bad with it.

I'm guessing she just assumed that even people who play the game don't care about the story :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom