• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Great podcast, the more I hear Dan speak on his history with anxiety the more I'm interested in the book. Glad to hear he's almost finished.

Man, that OKCupid date thing could have gone way worse.

I was gritting my teeth the entire time waiting for some kind of turn.

Myggen

Me too. Some people don't understand that even if you're outwardly social/okay at interacting with people on the surface, you can still have deep anxiety that badly affects your life day in-day out.

Yeah, no doubt. I work as a lawyer and I still remember the first time I was in court about 4 months into my first job. I still have no idea how I managed to hold it together, I had the same thing as Dan where I probably consumed about 4 litres of water in the 6 or so hours it lasted. Anxiety is a fucking bitch, it really is. I agree with Dan and Danny when it comes to talking about it; for as hard as it can be to tell other people, most of the time people react really well to it and it's a huge relief when others know. I went years as a teen without telling anyone other than my parents. I tell you, holding secret both that you're gay and that you suffer from anxiety is not a good combination, especially as a teen :p

Yeah, no doubt. I work as a lawyer and I still remember the first time I was in court about 4 months into my first job. I still have no idea how I managed to hold it together, I had the same thing as Dan where I probably consumed about 4 litres of water in the 6 or so hours it lasted. Anxiety is a fucking bitch, it really is. I agree with Dan and Danny when it comes to talking about it; for as hard as it can be to tell other people, most of the time people react really well to it and it's a huge relief when others know. I went years as a teen without telling anyone other than my parents. I tell you, holding secret both that you're gay and that you suffer from anxiety is not a good combination, especially as a teen :p

Did you ever talk to a doctor? Mine was helped substantially with some medication.

Also I force myself to give presentations and speak publically whenever I can just for the practice and each time it gets better and better even though at the beginning it still feels like I'm going to vomit and faint.

valeo

I do the same thing with water! I drink litres and litres of it when I'm anxious.

Myggen

Did you ever talk to a doctor? Mine was helped substantially with some medication.

Also I force myself to give presentations and speak publically whenever I can just for the practice and each time it gets better and better even though at the beginning it still feels like I'm going to vomit and faint.

I didn't talk to a doctor until it got really, really bad, about a year after I first experienced a panic attack. But yeah, medication was a big deal for me to and I think most people who suffer from anxiety.

I didn't talk to a doctor until it got really, really bad, about a year after I first experienced a panic attack. But yeah, medication was a big deal for me to and I think most people who suffer from anxiety.

I started talking about it openly because I heard a segment on npr about the stigma of mental health and I found out like 3 people in my social circle were on the same meds as me! It had helped them a bunch as well.

Also helped my crippling depression but that's a whole other thing.

Myggen

I started talking about it openly because I heard a segment on npr about the stigma of mental health and I found out like 3 people in my social circle were on the same meds as me! It had helped them a bunch as well.

Also helped my crippling depression but that's a whole other thing.

Yeah, I think talking about that stuff is so important. It just eats at you if you don't.

Xeteh

A friend of mine is finally getting into GB (special thanks to MGScanlon). He just asked if he should listen to old bombcasts. I said "yes" whole heartedly. What are some gems of the bombcasts of old? I'm looking for some classic Jeff/Ryan stories.

edit: After explaining how Drew's seemingly non-gaming lifestyle landed him at GB (Vinny's production pal), my friend asked "Who is Vinny". GAF I need help.

There's the This Year recaps as well here. They have them for every year since 2008.

Zekes!

Dan and Danny's reaction to Halifax, Nova Scotia was really funny as someone who was born there (grew up in British Columbia).

Zaph

He's told that story before, but I rate Danny for going on the record with that worst relationship example. When discussing relationships frankly, most people tell stuff like Dan's story (dumb but innocent) and I always feel like a complete scumbag in comparison.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hearing Danny and Dan talk about losing their virginity might be learning a bit too much about internet people... Still good feature.

TraBuch

Banned
He was a teenager. Teenagers do mean things when slighted by someone. I knew someone in high school nicknamed "Two and a half" because some girl he was dating spread rumors that he had a two and a half inch dick after he cheated on her. I can't even remember his real name.

Zekes!

He was a teenager. Teenagers do mean things when slighted by someone. I knew someone in high school nicknamed "Two and a half" because some girl he was dating spread rumors that he had a two and a half inch dick after he cheated on her. I can't even remember his real name.

brings new meaning to "Two and a Half Men"

Thoughts on Danswers

-"We've got...DANSWERS." A+
-Great to have Danny back in my hears
-On board for saying "Danswered" all the time, dunno about 'Drew Danlon".
-"Dangents" A+
-Good on Danny for keeping the gender of the weight quenstion anonymous. I hadn't considered that part of it.
-Dan: "It's tricky..."
-I like the idea of people writing back in with followups
-Dan facing his anxiety head on is fascinating.
-Danny's Dan impression is preeeeeetty good.
- "Don't be a weirdo."
-Glad Danny is bringing things back to the people seeking advice.
-Not a big fan of the 'getting laid' terminology, seems a little skeezy, but not sure what better wording is.
-"It's mostly the bride's day." "...Oh." Given Dan's wrestling wedding desires, I laughed.
-Good talk on grief tennis.

kind of think danswers needs a third for it to work. it was fine, but not really convinced that it needs to be a regular thing with just those two.

then again, there's probably only so much they can do when it's 90% relationship questions.

Renpatsu

I think the core pair work fine because of the sheer variety of life experience that is on offer combined. That said special guest 'Dans' now and again are probably going to happen intermittently given their introduction.

AcridMeat

Banned
"Why do you guys keep letting him play Mario Party? Clearly you all hate it."
hahahahahaha

And he played through and loved Resident Evil 4. Paul should be the new hire, really.

Phatmac

Think I'll just listen to this while playing a game cause some of this stuff is a bit too much for me honestly. Still a neat idea for people that want advice.

Myggen

kind of think danswers needs a third for it to work. it was fine, but not really convinced that it needs to be a regular thing with just those two.

then again, there's probably only so much they can do when it's 90% relationship questions.

They seemed to realize that at the start of the podcast when they were talking about having guests like Jeff on regularly.

Liamc723

I'm not sure what's so bad about Dan and Danny talking about losing their virginity, they are just regular guys at the end of the day like you and me.

I really liked the first episode, I'll continue listening.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I thought it was pretty good. I guess i could see how some people would think it a bit much but i found it all pretty interesting/funny. Looking forward to the next episode. I would agree that it could use a rotating third chair. I think they have enough people around between giantbomb and gamespot to make that happen.

Or they can just rotate Drew and Mary and Jeff. I know you're reading this Dan. Make it happen.

FluxWaveZ

Sounds like it's like the Rebel FM podcast emails they used to answer years ago, back when I listened to it. A lot of dating advice stuff and talk about their personal lives.

I can totally see how it was a little bit too real for some of you, but I really dug how candid they were with their Danswers. They probably shouldn't have relationship questions dominate the whole thing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom