• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Grim Fandango Remastered seems really low effort, I kind of expected more from something they're charging 15 bucks for

Why? If they put the old game up on GoG it would probably cost about the same and would still have the shitty control of the original.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The Grim Fandango Remastered seems really low effort, I kind of expected more from something they're charging 15 bucks for

What were you honestly expecting for $15?

Also I'm with idlethumbs that this is the perfect way to preserve a classic. Redoing all of it sullies its legacy and the beautiful art-style that still stood the test of time.

LiK

you should compare original to remaster. it's a good remaster especially since people can play it on consoles. also, no tank controls.

Zaph

My favourite game of all time (I go back and forth with Dreamfall).

The remaster is exactly that - making the most of original assets and improving compatibility.

I'm not sure why some people were expecting a remake.

My favourite game of all time (I go back and forth with Dreamfall).

The remaster is exactly that - making the most of original assets and improving compatibility.

I'm not sure why some people were expecting a remake.

Did you see that terrible thread in Gaming about how shitty of a remaster this was? It might be one of the most absurd threads ever made.

They added a whole new lighting system, full orchestral soundtrack, commentary, slapped some higher-res textures and polys to the characters, made the game less of a headache for compatibility on the PC, etc.

The only thing i would say that i would've liked from the remaster is a built-in hint system. Loved that system from the MI1 & MI2 remakes and that's the only thing i think they missed out on with the remaster. Otherwise, yeah, it's a great effort at an affordable price.

Zaph

Did you see that terrible thread in Gaming about how shitty of a remaster this was? It might be one of the most absurd threads ever made.

They added a whole new lighting system, full orchestral soundtrack, commentary, slapped some higher-res textures and polys to the characters, made the game less of a headache for compatibility on the PC, etc.

The only thing i would say that i would've liked from the remaster is a built-in hint system. Loved that system from the MI1 & MI2 remakes and that's the only thing i think they missed out on with the remaster. Otherwise, yeah, it's a great effort at an affordable price.

Oh yeah. My favourite part was the 4:3 complaints. So either they crop the frame like some shitty TV channel trying to fit old content to 16:9 screens or they create entirely new assets to fill the screen, which would be some Star Wars special edition nonsense.

Megasoum

Banned

Nah man, it was one of the best thread backfire ever lol

Edit: Also, yay for GB East's studio being up but they need to add in the youtube auto uploader in their pipeline workflow.

popo

I don't have a problem with the price of Grim Fandango - I do think they over hyped it though.

If GOG had put it out, then I would likely pay for it - just for convenience - even though I still have the original discs in the loft somewhere.

However, they kinda hyped it like they would a full on remake rather than a tarted up "remaster". It is similar scale as that Monkey Island one was, although it is easier to see the work put in for a 2D game.

Also. Day of the Tentacle. Give it to me!

After the liveshow ended, the video feed came back to Drew ripping off the poster. I guess they cut that part out when they uploaded the video.

thx for the info

I'm officially disappointed Patrick left for Kotaku. At first i was alright, thinking whatever, I'll still see his work. But he doesn't seem to write much there, and if he does it gets instantly buried in their title wave of garbage. Such a shame.

KingKong

I never played the original but I can see the benefit of it being basically the same game for the nostalgia and I didn't know they redid the soundtrack so I guess it is worth the price, I guess I'd just like something more like the Resident Evil remake if you're going to take the time to do it

pretty much all the reviews I've seen mention the lack of autosave and the confusing puzzles and how the gameplay aged pretty poorly

tchocky

I'm officially disappointed Patrick left for Kotaku. At first i was alright, thinking whatever, I'll still see his work. But he doesn't seem to write much there, and if he does it gets instantly buried in their title wave of garbage. Such a shame.

He seems to be producing just a bit more than he was at GB, and I have been enjoying his Q&As on youtube and he is going to start streaming Demon Souls and possibly Yakuza in the near future so I'm fine with his output so far.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If they completely remade the game and sold it for 30€ the very same people would probably say "What? Pay 30€ for an old game?! What the fuck Double Fine?".

kai3345

Banned
omg

cEtAuK6.png

fuck this is amazing

If they completely remade the game and sold it for 30€ the very same people would probably say "What? Pay 30€ for an old game?! What the fuck Double Fine?".

Oh, like the backlash that the Oddworld remake got?

yeah, seems like there's no winning with some folks. It's especially bad when people start blasting a game for not being "free" on ps+, as if they're entitled to every really great game released on PSN day one. Saw the same thing happen with Octodad and Transistor, it's real shitty and i'm happy those games had PC versions where people on that platform weren't too upset with the notion of paying for their games.

Lijik

i hope they use this omg

I slowly turned into Jim Halpert the amount of times I had to look away to deadpan stare into a nonexistant camera during that thread.

We're still waiting for Broken Age part deux from them. If they can't put out one complete adventure game i'm not sure I'd trust them with the burden of making a modestly budgeted sequel to one of the great PnC games ever.

the reason why part 2 is taking so long is so they can release Broken age the complete edition on the same day as part 2 for PS4+Vita

they should have clarified that fact earlier though

the problem is that DF can't self-fund any projects apparently, and even their attempts at early access have done poorly. GF2 would be relatively expensive to make from a DF standpoint (music, art, voice acting), and they'd probably have to price it more than people are willing to pay for an adventure game right now.

I just have a hard time seeing how an outside investor would find GF2 to be a smart move.

Zaph

Nah, leave Grim Fandango alone. It would be almost impossible for any sequel to live up to expectations.

Wouldn't mind seeing DF bring back the Discworld series though. Even though they're not a British developer, I think they could do it justice.

Danswers was great. It's almost like a Greg Miller-less version of Knockin' Boots. Can't wait for more!

I've enjoyed what I've heard so far too! Dan really is a genuinely humble and good guy. Danny too, of course!

Speaking of Greg Miller, I listened to a bit of their new podcast and was immediately reminded of why I had stopped listening to Podcast Beyond.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait... Patrick says in his latest video "We don't cover our frontpage with news we don't consider important or entertaining"...huh....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom