• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Wait... Patrick says in his latest video "We don't cover our frontpage with news we don't consider important or entertaining"...huh....

I really am starting to wonder just how amicable the split was. There have been some odd comments from both sides.

Megasoum

Banned
I really am starting to wonder just how amicable the split was. There have been some odd comments from both sides.

I don't think that this says anything about Giantbomb. It says more about the Kotaku staff being blind to all the useless crap they put on their site all day long.

I kind of assumed CBSi put pressure on Jeff for having an employee with such a limited role and located so far from the main office on the payroll. Maybe it came down to "move back to SF or quit Giant Bomb" and he chose the latter.

This is pure speculation based on nothing.

Megasoum

Banned
I kind of assumed CBSi put pressure on Jeff for having an employee with such a limited role and located so far from the main office on the payroll. Maybe it came down to "move back to SF or quit Giant Bomb" and he chose the latter.

Nah... I don't think there was anything like that. Patrick moving to Kotaku makes sense 100% (news focused site with his mentor Stephen Totillo).

In the end I think it was a win-win for both sides of the equation because of the reason you gave but I doubt there was actual "threats" or anything like that.

Myggen

Patrick said that CBSi fought to keep him (in a post here on GAF?), so probably not. I don't think it's any more dramatic than Patrick wanting to go back to a job that involves just writing articles because of his situation in Chicago.

Nah... I don't think there was anything like that. Patrick moving to Kotaku makes sense 100% (news focused site with his mentor Stephen Totillo).

In the end I think it was a win-win for both sides of the equation because of the reason you gave but I doubt there was actual "threats" or anything like that.

Patrick said that CBSi fought to keep him (in a post here on GAF?), so probably not. I don't think it's any more dramatic than Patrick wanting to go back to a job that involves just writing articles because of his situation in Chicago.

Yeah you guys are probably right. I guess I just can't comprehend wanting to leave a site like Giant Bomb to write for a site where much of their content is Reddit-like content aggregation. I haven't visited Kotaku regularly for a long time, though, and I've heard it's not as bad as it used to be.

and, if Jeff really wanted to help beef up GBeast, it's certainly easier to justify that to CBSi if the one outlier of an employee has parted ways.

Again, i don't sense any bad blood at all between GB and Tricky and it seems that everyone has benefited from this move. It's probably the best way for something like this to turn out, really.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's what he had to say:

I'm just gonna poke my head in here quickly and say hi.

First and foremost, squash the conspiracy theories. I wasn't pushed out, I'm on great terms with everyone, and CBS fought hard to keep me. I was simply looking for a new challenge.

This move is definitely an unexpected one for some, but I hope you'll keep an open mind. Kotaku's changed a lot in the last year or two, and some of their approaches to reporting (ditching previews, focusing on post-release coverage) sound really exciting. It's actually not too different from what's been happening at Giant Bomb for a while, either. I know people have lots of pre-conceived notions about Kotaku (or Gawker), and I'm not going to pretend some of that wasn't earned from past work.

If you're interested in my video content, I'm going to keep streaming horror games on my personal channels. I don't have details on that yet, but stay tuned. I'm also hoping to stream a playthrough of Demon's Souls this month, since I finally want to play it.

I can't be sure, but I also think my future Kotaku posts will exclusively show up here -- http://patrickklepek.kinja.com. That might be a solution for some of you? But I think there's lots of good work happening at Kotaku, though I don't disagree sometimes it can get lost in the news shuffle.

Hopefully some (most? all?) of you will join me in my post-Giant Bomb adventures, but if you don't, thanks for your support the last few years. It's been tremendously humbling, and I'm thankful for all of it. Have a good weekend!

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah you guys are probably right. I guess I just can't comprehend wanting to leave a site like Giant Bomb to write for a site where much of their content is Reddit-like content aggregation. I haven't visited Kotaku regularly for a long time, though, and I've heard it's not as bad as it used to be.

We're talking about a site focused on video and the interraction between it's staff on camera.

I could see why a news writter living alone in Chicago would want to move.

Xeteh

Patrick also said somewhere that he was in tears when he called Jeff to let him know he was leaving. I'm sure it wasn't anything bad that caused him to go to Kotaku.

meanwhile also in the philippines

fMcd8sp.jpg

BearPawB

Banned
In a way, everyone is in love with a dota player.

I wanna get my fiancee a "i'm in love with a dota player" shirt for valentines day

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody remember which bombcast had the mail from a subcontractor giving the prices for all the Governement/Army/NASA used pieces made by hid company with the outrageous difference between building cost and selling cost.

I'm pretty sure it was on the "This Year" for 2014 but I can't remember exactly. Doesn't appear to be on youtube either.

fuzzyset

Danswers was terrific. A few "oh boy" moments
like Danny mentioning penis size (even jokingly)
, but some solid real talk. How old is Danny? I get the feeling he's more towards Jeff's age but that might just be cause of the salt n peppa hair.

I like that Jeff was for it. Between Danswers and talk of a movie / MST3K type stuff, I would love to see Giantbomb become an internet media / podcast platform.

Megasoum

Banned
, but some solid real talk. How old is Danny? I get the feeling he's more towards Jeff's age but that might just be cause of the salt n peppa hair.

I like that Jeff was for it. Between Danswers and talk of a movie / MST3K type stuff, I would love to see Giantbomb become an internet media / podcast platform.

Late 20s

Curufinwe

I recall Danny mentioning that a lot of commenters thought he was 30-something when he made this video about Destiny. It kind of bummed him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Her2CtjXsIw

Zaph

Uploader profile:

Support One Direction, Cody Simpson and Greyson Chance and anyone who relates to them.
Attended One Direction University

Good the know the common interests of DOTA fans.

What the fuck... That's for a League tournament?

Garena (the company that hosts League in that region) has had a storied history of being crappy. Riot NA (the main one) can't really control them since they operate independently, some really crappy stories regularly come out of the Garena region, so unfortunately this headline is no surprise.

Myggen

Guys how do I become gay? Is there a pill for it or can I train for it? I suck at eSports and could use any edge I can get :-(

You have to join the Illuminati just like me and all my gay friends did.

Can someone explain how to get it working with Pocket Casts? I remember trying this a bit ago and I never got it working.

It's been a while, so I can't help you there. But from what I can remember, just using that URL should work. Some people on Reddit confirmed that they got it working in Pocket Casts as well.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Guys how do I become gay? Is there a pill for it or can I train for it? I suck at eSports and could use any edge I can get :-(

That only works for lesbians. I'm pretty sure it's the same gene that governs softball skill. I asked my coworker about it, she's a lesbian and also coaches a lacrosse team. She laughed, made a sad face, and said she can't imagine what advantage there would be. She's clearly holding out on the secret lesbian winning methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom