• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling they are bailing on needing a "games media person". They tried to hire "news" positions twice and they both ended up leaving for opportunities that let them do just that.

I think they would rather have someone good on a camera than someone who can write a good review.

(I have no idea if she is good on camera)

I get that. Hiring a Writer seems like a fools errand these days.

But yeah. Other then PAX stuff I havent seen her on camera much.

imBask

Banned
i'm already excited for the "blah they just picked her to look more inclusive" posts

just remember that you can never win on the internet

It's supposed to be a junior position isn't it? Someone without games media experience but who still has experience in the industry would make sense.

Although not knowing what she did at Oculus, I would assume Giant Bomb is a pay cut.

Yeah, they've mentioned that the editorial position for West is a junior position.

BearPawB

Banned
I have no idea. This whole hiring process has been confusing

I love Rick and Morty. Fucking love it. Its really weird when people try to force something on other people.

and that's the thing that gets me. I know so many people that swear by it. But everytime I try watching it I am INSTANTLY turned off.

But I totally believe it's good. It would have to be for so many people to like it.

valeo

I really liked Amarisse when she popped up in the 2Player Productions videos. Would be a good hire with a fresh perspective and isn't another white dude so yay.

Cue everyone talking about how she isn't a 'hardcore gamer' and is only being hired so that GB is 'more inclusive' (like that is a bad thing)

I really liked Amarisse when she popped up in the 2Player Productions videos. Would be a good hire with a fresh perspective and isn't another white dude so yay.

Cue everyone talking about how she isn't a 'hardcore gamer' and is only being hired so that GB is 'more inclusive' (like that is a bad thing)

I feel that

She would be a different perspective. Radically different. Since games would become her job, she would look at games from a different perspective from Dan, Jeff, or Brad who all grew up with videos games in a way she probably didn't.

And different perspectives are good. If they get another white male who more or less grew up with video games and previously worked with GB, then that's simply tacking another similar viewpoint, and that isn't what we need in West.

Hot take roundup;

- Austin being overpowering in conversations was usually well mitigated by Vinny being a good moderator, which is the problem with Waypoint radio. He's gotten better but he'll still do the thing of asking for someone's opinion, interjecting halfway through their thought, and then taking the ball and running with it relaying his own experiences. It's a weird habit but he makes things come back to him a lot.

- Dan does need to get better about being more engaged (or appearing as such) with topics he isn't super knowledgeable on. Despite being curious about 'dumb stuff' he doesn't really ask questions for more serious topics where it matters, and instead kind of peaces out for 20 mins at a time.

- Emails section desperately needs to get away from advice, or at least answering the same 3 social anxiety questions

- They need to steal Bakalar for more FMV stuff

- MK8 is dope

I am Dan Longman and I fully endorse this hot take.

Chumley

Banned
Hot take roundup;

- Austin being overpowering in conversations was usually well mitigated by Vinny being a good moderator, which is the problem with Waypoint radio. He's gotten better but he'll still do the thing of asking for someone's opinion, interjecting halfway through their thought, and then taking the ball and running with it relaying his own experiences. It's a weird habit but he makes things come back to him a lot.

- Dan does need to get better about being more engaged (or appearing as such) with topics he isn't super knowledgeable on. Despite being curious about 'dumb stuff' he doesn't really ask questions for more serious topics where it matters, and instead kind of peaces out for 20 mins at a time.

- Emails section desperately needs to get away from advice, or at least answering the same 3 social anxiety questions

- They need to steal Bakalar for more FMV stuff

- MK8 is dope

Agreed especially about emails. The life advice stuff is just becoming repetitive now, I feel like Alex has said the same thing about being a social recluse once a month now.

fvnb0jnx.png

Finished Horizon: Zero Dawn. Initially, I came for the robots but actually I stayed for the tribes and how everything in this world is interconnected between said tribes as they each differ from one another in the way they treat or view the world. One of the most interesting open world stories I've came across in a long while, it's fantastic with a great assortment of characters and a banging soundtrack. Dare I say the world is even more well realized than Zelda(even though Zelda's world is amazing). It's a shame that the freedom expressed in Zelda though is no where to be seen here. All in all, it's a beautiful game(shit looks insane on 4K OLED) that combines technology and mystical myths wrapped around a tragedy of a long and forgotten world in a smart, fascinating way. Loved it, definitely not to be missed. Moving onto the next big game now NIER: AUTOMATA(very excited, even though I played abit of it but now I'm all in).

e: I have to say that Guerrilla Games going from Killzone 3 to this is very fucking unbelievable. Mad respect.

zl2xodbfqjx0.gif

Finished Horizon: Zero Dawn. Initially, I came for the robots but actually I stayed for the tribes and how everything in this world is interconnected between said tribes as they each differ from one another in the way they treat or view the world. One of the most interesting open world stories I've came across in a long while, it's fantastic with a great assortment of characters and a banging soundtrack. Dare I say the world is even more well realized than Zelda(even though Zelda's world is amazing). It's a shame that the freedom expressed in Zelda though is no where to be seen here. All in all, it's a beautiful game(shit looks insane on 4K OLED) that combines technology and mystical myths wrapped around a tragedy of a long and forgotten world in a smart, fascinating way. Loved it, definitely not to be missed. Moving onto the next big game now NIER: AUTOMATA(very excited, even though I played abit of it but now I'm all in).

zl2xodbfqjx0.gif

Zero Dawn has a real cool world. Real cool writing and the big reveals have been well handled.

Last night I just learned
the Truth for Project Zero Dawn
and that was cool as hell and one of the few times in games I was compelled to read all the text diaries in a area. They where all so fucked up. That one
in the reception area you find that is the reception staff asking for better sound proofing because the sobbing was getting too much
was great.

I need to finish this damn game already and move onto Persona.

I think I am close?

SomberOwl

Agreed especially about emails. The life advice stuff is just becoming repetitive now, I feel like Alex has said the same thing about being a social recluse once a month now.

Also agree about the emails. Who is asking for serious life advice from them anyway.

I feel awful for Dan. That's a horrifying visual that was painted. Just want him to know we all love what he's done for GBEAST and the Beastcast and wish him the best going forward.

This too shall pass.

Zero Dawn has a real cool world. Real cool writing and the big reveals have been well handled.

Last night I just learned
the Truth for Project Zero Dawn
and that was cool as hell and one of the few times in games I was compelled to read all the text diaries in a area. They where all so fucked up. That one
in the reception area you find that is the reception staff asking for better sound proofing because the sobbing was getting too much
was great.

I need to finish this damn game already and move onto Persona.

I think I am close?

Kind of, you're more than half way there. I'd say a few hours and you'd wrap it up as long as you just focus on the main quests.

e: I have to say that Guerrilla Games going from Killzone 3 to this is very fucking unbelievable. Mad respect.

zl2xodbfqjx0.gif

So, Killzone: Shadow Fall doesn't exist anymore ;p

As for Killzone, I honestly wouldn't mind a Killzone reboot with the writer of Horizon (John Gonzalez) doing the story. Also, would love to see them utilize all that unutilized back story stuff they created for the original game: http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

In hind sight, there seems to be some similar stuff (broadly speaking) with Killzone's backstory and Horizon's backstory.

bomma_man

It's an acquired taste for sure. Like Rorie said (I think when he played the game on UPF), a lot of the show is improvised by the creator when doing his lines. The same kind of set-up is used in a lot of Will Ferrell movies (the first Anchorman had so many alternate improv takes, they were able to create a whole other movie called Wake Up, Ron Burgundy using that footage).

Ugh, anchorman is so try hard

Tagyhag

I feel that

She would be a different perspective. Radically different. Since games would become her job, she would look at games from a different perspective from Dan, Jeff, or Brad who all grew up with videos games in a way she probably didn't.

And different perspectives are good. If they get another white male who more or less grew up with video games and previously worked with GB, then that's simply tacking another similar viewpoint, and that isn't what we need in West.

People also forget that while filling a position in Giant Bomb can take a while, part of that comes from Jeff being incredibly critical that someone will fit the GB mold.

I have no doubt that whoever Jeff chooses, it's because he knows they'll be a good fit.

He's what, 5 for 5 now?

So, Killzone: Shadow Fall doesn't exist anymore ;p

As for Killzone, I honestly wouldn't mind a Killzone reboot with the writer of Horizon (John Gonzalez) doing the story. Also, would love to see them utilize all that unutilized back story stuff they created for the original game: http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

In hind sight, there seems to be some similar stuff (broadly speaking) with Killzone's backstory and Horizon's backstory.

They have worked on this game since Killzone 3 was finished but that aside, I completely forgot about Killzone: Shadow Fall which probably tells you everything you need to know about the game.
I feel awful for Dan. That's a horrifying visual that was painted. Just want him to know we all love what he's done for GBEAST and the Beastcast and wish him the best going forward.

This too shall pass.

Yes, I've experienced that and I remember it made me feel slightly dizzy as well as shitty. I feel for him and I hope the bad feeling he's feeling passes.

Ashby

This too shall pass.

Yeah. People have gotten PTSD over less. Hope he's okay.

They have worked on this game since Killzone 3 was finished but that aside, I completely forgot about Killzone: Shadow Fall which probably tells you everything you need to know about the game.

Yes, I've experienced that and I remember it made me feel slightly dizzy as well as shitty. I feel for him and I hope the feeling passes.

I wonder if they have an A team and a B team, like Insomniac Games or Naughty Dog (they don't anymore, I think).

I don't think shadowfall is meant to be a B-tier game.

Of course not. The Insomniac B-team games surely aren't. The Ratchet and Clank reboot was done by the "B-team" (the North Carolina studio). The Burbank "A-Team" studio did Sunset Overdrive and is currently doing Spider-Man. I don't think many people would consider the R&C reboot a "B-tier" game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think shadowfall's problem is more that it's shackled to the killzone franchise.

Which is why I'm glad for GG being free from the burdens of being tied to a largely mediocre series.

I'm still surprised 2 got made because 1 was so baaaaaaaad. OMG.

Killzone 2 and 3 are good games but that franchise could never be huge. It was called KILLZONE!

Thats what you call a fake game in a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom