• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I probably sound really negative but I'm actually still really enjoying it. Most people who like P3/P4 will probably still really enjoy P5.

And the improvements to the gameplay side of things can't be stated enough. The dungeons are actually fun to go through this time around, instead of something you just wanted to be over so you can get back to the social simulator like the previous games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Hey we stole the treasure!'
'oh look we somehow fucked up our escape every single time so we could have a mandatory boss fight!'

Gestahl

wait, persona 3 had characters?

What you don't remember the annoying fat kid who was in a cult, the douchebag who wants to fuck his teacher, the boring guy who likes art and has doctor parents, the robot ~struggling~ with being a real girl, the monster of the month moon bosses who are dramatically weaker than anything in Tartarus or, perhaps most irrelevant of them all, Strega???

robotrock

Banned
Can Abzu get scary? I'm afraid of ocean depths and the stuff living down there.

No joke, Abzu can be pretty freaky. I remember a couple of jump scares in there.

I don't think any of the creatures themselves were freaky though, they just pop out with some creepy music cues sometimes.

oti

Banned
thats a dunk
image2xvujk.jpg

Good on you, Jeff.

I really want to get that game but I'm holding it off till Summer. I played the shit out of that WiiU version.!

It looks phenomenal on the Switch screen. I played the Wii U version for 100h but seeing this and all those great tracks again is great!

I get Jeff's criticism of the game 100%. Sometimes it's just bullshit. But man, I don't care. It's fun.

Just played through What Remains of Edith Finch.... Holy shit this is the first time in my life that a game has actually left me speechless.... and multiple times too!

WOW... Yeah this is on the very short list for GOTY and totally a must play by everybody...
Austin was pretty down on it. He also didn't like The Witness though so... Yeah.

Hjod

Banned
thats a dunk
image2xvujk.jpg

Well Jeff is right, I like Rick and Morty but that dude just shows that Rick and Morty "fans" suck.

Just played through What Remains of Edith Finch.... Holy shit this is the first time in my life that a game has actually left me speechless.... and multiple times too!

WOW... Yeah this is on the very short list for GOTY and totally a must play by everybody...

How long does it take to finish? 3-4 hours? I'm kind of burned out on Yakuza 0 at the moment and might need a palate cleanser.

Meguro

Banned
I also finished P5 last night.
Persona 3 remains the best but I really liked P5 a lot more than 4.

Do we think they'll announce the assistant producer position and the new editor today? IIRC the GBEast position is also gone from the job applications.

One of us. One of us.
Can Abzu get scary? I'm afraid of ocean depths and the stuff living down there.

Scary is such a subjective term though but for me I found it to be creepy at times but never scary. Overall it's quite a beautiful and relaxing game, I really enjoyed it.

danm999

"Militant dislike" jesus christ.

Rick and Morty is one of my favourite shows but who gives a fuck if someone else doesn't like it? How does it impact your enjoyment of it?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Does anyone actually have dads that share a majority of your interests/hobnies?

I feel like the opposite is true more often than not.

kiguel182

Finished the Tender Love Care videos and man, what a fun ride. Not the game, that was bad but the dudes reaction to the videos and the questions produced some amazing moments.

Shame the end of the game didn't went all bonkers, it was pretty tepid.

It wasn't Contradiction but it was pretty good.

Jintor

Yo i finally got around to the real estate minigame in BITE and do i kind of want this game forever?????

I haven't even hit the Cabaret yet but yo i want this

Wunder

PUBG and maybe hockey jersey new hire day.

oh shit what if it's just the hockey jerseys

just had an amazing PUBG duo game. Final circle was a super good hilly area with lots of room to maneuver around. My partner died early on in the final 10 but I managed to strafe around and kill a bunch and ended with 8 kills

What you don't remember the annoying fat kid who was in a cult, the douchebag who wants to fuck his teacher, the boring guy who likes art and has doctor parents, the robot ~struggling~ with being a real girl, the monster of the month moon bosses who are dramatically weaker than anything in Tartarus or, perhaps most irrelevant of them all, Strega???

I like Strega. They made all the shit with Ken and Shinjiro go down, then there's the Junpei/Chidori stuff that elevates Ace Defective to a level Ryuji and especially Yosuke could only dream of. Then they just become all-around desperate fuckers clearly out of their league with what they're trying to accomplish.

P3 isn't so much character-driven as mood driven - it's a game about sorrow and calamity, themes which operate better on a societal level than an individual one - and the characters often come across as somewhat uptight and unbreakable to better sell the moment when all hope of a happy ending is basically fucked. P4 and especially 5 have far stronger characters buuuut I don't think P3 is bad on that front by any means.

Altairre

Does anyone like Persona 5 more than 3 or 4?

The tepid response is making me anxious about starting.

I do. It's 5 > 4 > 3 for me. Fairly close between 5 and 4 but with a comfortable lead to 3. I like some of the themes and story beats in 3 but there were also stretches of absolute nothingness and a lot of annoying shit that 4 and especially 5 fixed.

Antiwhippy

Motherfucker, we got tanaka, akinari, an alcoholic monk, shinjiro and a dog carrying a fucking knife in his mouth.

You want to throw down we can throw down.

I like 3 more than 4 almost entirely for that ending, and the way its Sad Boy tone resonates with me more than what 4 does.

But 5 is unarguably better than both. The plot lives up to the standard those games set, and everything else besides that (except the localisation) is ONE THOUSAND times improved. The way they evolved how S. Links hook into the battle system is just brilliance.

Antiwhippy

I mean i kinda agree.

But.

You're yet another will of the few fighting off the manifestation of the negative will of the many.

Like c'mon atlus.

Come up with something else.

Wunder

I like 3 more than 4 almost entirely for that ending, and the way its Sad Boy tone resonates with me more than what 4 does.

But 5 is unarguably better than both. The plot lives up to the standard those games set, and everything else besides that (except the localisation) is ONE THOUSAND times improved. The way they evolved how S. Links hook into the battle system is just brilliance.

That's what is stopping me from going back to play P4G/P3FESP, the dungeons/battles will probably feel like such a step back from p5 that I don't think its really worth it for me

Altairre

Motherfucker, we got tanaka, akinari, an alcoholic monk, shinjiro and a dog carrying a fucking knife in his mouth.

You want to throw down we can throw down.

That was the most pointless shit ever though. Tanaka and shinjiro were okay. I'll give you akinari and the knife carrying dog.

Guess Who

Banned
I mean i kinda agree.

But.

You're yet another will of the few fighting off the manifestation of the negative will of the many.

Like c'mon atlus.

Come up with something else.

nitpicking about your choice of words aside, i'd argue this particular theme is actually way more specifically important and relevant to the story p5 tells than it was to p3 or especially p4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom