• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
For real tho, what are the chances of them announcing the new hires today? I doubt it would be in the "Murder Island" stream, would it?
Jeff's been dropping heavy hints for weeks, and everyone's coming into the office on a Monday. I'm betting we get a podcast at some point today introducing the new West hire- the new East hire's probably a little ways off yet.

jaina

Jeff's been dropping heavy hints for weeks, and everyone's coming into the office on a Monday.
and the PUBG stream would logistically be easier if everyone used their home machine. they even talked about which PCs to use on UPF.
So there must be a different reason for the office attendance.

Jintor

the only thing i'm not so down with in yakuza is the lack of recurring female characters. I mean, sure, it's a yakuza game, it's a game about manly thugs being men or whatever, but I wish there were more women who were more than just one scene characters or who only hang around for one substory.

oh well, it's still dope.

the only thing i'm not so down with in yakuza is the lack of recurring female characters. I mean, sure, it's a yakuza game, it's a game about manly thugs being men or whatever, but I wish there were more women who were more than just one scene characters or who only hang around for one substory.

Just like Giant Bomb.

2 and 5 are better about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced the hire with the Bombcast tomorrow.

Def happening today.

Why aren't we making a big deal about this? I've yet to see any guesses over who it might be.

How did Dan and Jason get introduced? Was it an article or the Bombcast?

Jason spoiled it by saying he was going to GB on the GI podcast. And then since it was known that Dan was going to SF, people assumed Dan would be at GB as well.

Yeah that scene where (spoilers from a previous BITE episode just in case)
Awano shot the dancer really rubbed me the wrong way. Like, here's this female character we introduced just to be eye candy and then to be murdered so they can show off what a bad guy Awano is, which we kind of knew. But then Kiryu doesn't even blink. We didn't even get to fight Awano there. 99% of women in Yakuza 0 are there to be victimized or ogled or both, it's unfortunate. I like Makoto a lot but it'd be nice if there were some more female characters with agency in it.

Def happening today.

Why aren't we making a big deal about this? I've yet to see any guesses over who it might be

It look like it could either be amarisse, who has worked at oculus and double fine. She would bring a new female perspective to GB , which is sorely missing and likes different genres of games too.

Or it's former intern Ben....

both I think, Austin was introduced via an article and a short video in the NY office
I'm pretty sure Austin's first appearance was on the Beastcast, though thinking about it that might have been just a guest appearance and they didn't reveal he was the new hire until a bit later.

Jintor

Like the kind of media Yakuza cribs from is pretty misogynistic anyway but yeah, they could do better.

same reason i want a GTA with a female protagonist.

I mean, I was so happy when Chinatown Wars looked like it had a female secondary important character and then she gets offed in literally the second mission. Fucking sucks.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This is like Christmas but you forgot to tell your parents what you want. So you might get an N64 or a Playstation.

Or a pullover and some socks.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kessler was an amazing intern and is hilarious. He would be a great hire.

I wouldn't go that far.

Dude's alright though.

same reason i want a GTA with a female protagonist.

I mean, I was so happy when Chinatown Wars looked like it had a female secondary important character and then she gets offed in literally the second mission. Fucking sucks.

Eh, it's GTA, so what do you expect other than shitty tryhard satire?

Meguro

Banned
I would be very disappointed if that was the case.
Not enough to unsub or anything but probably enough to voice my frustration in an email or something.

I won't be upset, but I'd be a little disappointed, to be fair. New hires are a chance to bring something new to the table, and it'd be a shame if they got someone similar in.

Yup. Austin added so much, not just because he's a great writer and personality, but also because his different perspectives on things as a POC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd be lying if i don't say that I'll be optimistic about it no matter who they picked.

But yeah, more representation is good.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I promised myself to not engage in the inevitable gaming thread, no matter who the hire is.
I also would find it incredibly funny if they are just in the office today to present the jersey.

Meneses

Hope it's not a Rorie promotion and that it's someone new and different.

In any case, the most visible hire being for GB West is great, because if it's a good hire it will make me interested in GBW again, and if it's someone I don't like then it won't really change much for me since I will keep on mostly ignoring it. But people who do like it will be happy so that's good.

East has been keeping me happy so i'm fine with that. And if getting a new behind-the-scenes person helps Vinny have time to do more stuff on camera, that's fantastic.

Win-win.

swimbuff

Sometimes I lurk in this thread and think it's amazing how invested you all are in Giant Bomb. I am too. These guys have given us so much over the years and personally they have helped me get through some tough times.

I hope the new hires bring some fresh perspectives to GB. That West dynamic could use some shaking up. I'm confident Jeff, as always, will make the right choice, whoever she turns out to be.

How about they just hire whoever seems to fit the best, regardless of anything else?

Edit: Like Austin, he was great, he immediately felt like he'd been there years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom