• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's real in the way Yakuza soap operas are real I guess. I dunno, knowing the tropes it's a lot of that romantic Yakuza posturing.

Also I like daddy kiryu more in the previous games.

Yakuza is a game that is just 'human' in alot of ways. Yeah the story goes places, but at the same time all the characters just seem real. Something that even Horizon can't do.

Like most if not all of the Yakuza games, the localization team deserve all the respect they could get. The characters wouldn't be as memorable if it weren't for them. The insane thing to me is the detail though that the development team put in each game. From the smallest sub menus to minigames and worthwhile side characters that stay with you side by side with the main characters of the game.

It's pretty telling when Dan, Vinny & Alex still remember the characters they came across during side missions episodes before whenever they show up.

Man, the last time I knew who intern Ben was from the Patrick buys an arcade cabinet at California Extreme Bombcast.

Congrats on the new hires!

Watching most recent UPF, realized that Vinny's east/west comment probably wasn't so much a GAF-style slam on GBW, just a snipe at brad specifically because when playing the H1Z1 mod, he starts out by heading west when he should have gone east.

Antiwhippy

Though I'm actually curious about how people would react to kiryu's and majima's characters if 0 is their first yakuza.

I feel like Kiwami would be pretty disarming in more ways than one.

Antiwhippy

Yeah that's my one real bummer with BitE.

And it's not even like Kiryu isn't cool in 0, but they're so impatient with him hah.

Though I'm actually curious about how people would react to kiryu's and majima's characters if 0 is their first yakuza.

0 is my first yakuza

And while Kiryu seems to be a bit more blank than Majima, I figure its that way to ease people into the game, and then Kiryu really starts developing a personality as the games gone on.

Antiwhippy

0 is my first yakuza

And while Kiryu seems to be a bit more blank than Majima, I figure its that way to ease people into the game, and then Kiryu really starts developing a personality as the games gone on.

It's more majima that I'm curious about.

Because boy.

You ain't seen nothing.

In some ways going from 0 to Kiwami is beneficial for remembering certain characters. Playing Kiwami after 1 to 5, there were times I couldn't remember if so and so were in other games. Although, a couple of my favorite side quests link to Yakuza 2, which I appreciated. Yakuza 2 is so good.

Something I'm interested in seeing with Kiwami is what the combat is like. Vastly prefer Kiryu's fighting style in 0 to 1 to 5. In 4 especially his style felt dated compared to other characters.

Yeah that's my one real bummer with BitE.

And it's not even like Kiryu isn't cool in 0, but they're so impatient with him hah.

They are definitely impatient with him, but the real bummer for me is:

Unless he plays it badly and has that ruin the fight. Someone should tell him that his fighting style should mirror his opponent's.

I seriously doubt this is ever going to happen. I'm trying not to let myself get frustrated watching some of the stuff Dan does sometimes. But it's just kind of nuts to me that we are this deep and Dan is asking how to roll or dodge.

NPK8Rg3.png

Just posting this so that we don't think it's her when hints start being dropped about the next hire later in the year. Wouldn't have made much sense after today, but this is definitive.

Kimaka

0 is my first and Majima was extremely jarring in 1. Kiryu, not so much. He just says fuck a lot more.

TraBuch

Banned
Oldman, Mendelsohn and Hurt? That's a damn fine ca-

"From the director of Pan"

Damn.
I mean, he also directed Pride and Prejudice and Atonement, both great movies. Although both are also period romances starring Keira Knightley. Maybe he should adapt more Jane Austen books with Keira Knightley starring? I'm sure Keira Knightley would kill it as Emma. Although Hanna was a pretty good action movie. Hm.

TraBuch

Banned
I was just thinking, do you think Taco Bell is gonna be recording Dan's wedding and will end up using clips in a commercial? Will I eventually literally be seeing Dan on TV while I'm watching a football game?

robotrock

Banned
I think Taco Bell is going to promote the heck out of Dan's wedding on one of those sponsored Snapchat spots to the point where he gets an offer from TLC to do a reality show

Curufinwe

It's nice to still be discovering new places to visit after almost 70 hours in P5. It made me think about just how limited a selection of places there was to visit outside of the dungeons when I was playing P3 a decade a go.

I also like that they got rid of the thing from P4 where you have to wander around town asking everyone if they have seen a slim boy with something on his mind or whatever, and the you find out he won't show up that day and you have to do it again the next day.

They went a bit overboard with the size of the harem in this one, but I guess they know what the majority of the audience prefers. So you get a sexy punk doctor as the Death confidant this time instead of a sad old widow.

It's nice to still be discovering new places to visit after almost 70 hours in P5. It made me think about just how limited a selection of places there was to visit outside of the dungeons when I was playing P3 a decade a go.

I also like that they got rid of the thing from P4 where you have to wander around town asking everyone if they have seen a slim boy with something on his mind or whatever, and the you find out he won't show up that day and you have to do it again the next day.

They went a bit overboard with the size of the harem in this one, but I guess they know what the majority of the audience prefers. So you get a sexy punk doctor as the Death confidant this time instead of a sad old widow.

Yes, so glad those sections are gone. I mean I think P5 could use more actual gameplay in the lead-up to a palace but those investigation sections were not the way to do it.

Also, romance pandering aside, I'll still take Kawakami or Takemi over old lady or drama girl any day of the week. Looking back, there are very few memorable social links in P4 outside of your party members. There's Nanako and Dojima of course, but other than that? Ehh. Persona 5's side characters are much more compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom