• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

Listening to this week's Bombcast, their P5 discussion has just come up and it's really bumming me out since they're describing all the things that I really didn't enjoy about P4 and P3, and with all the talk about a kinda poor localisation when I already thought it was pretty weak, it really puts me off. I've been on the fence about getting the game since I only have a PS3 but this is just making me want to wait until it's a lot cheaper.

It just sounds like they haven't really learnt a whole lot in the past.. 7-8 years? since P4 came out. It continues to solidify my opinion that Innocent Sin is the best Persona game I've played and that Catherine is my favourite Atlus/Persona team game since that.

this Jeff collection chat on the Bombcast has me like

giphy.gif

demidar

Listening to this week's Bombcast, their P5 discussion has just come up and it's really bumming me out since they're describing all the things that I really didn't enjoy about P4 and P3, and with all the talk about a kinda poor localisation when I already thought it was pretty weak, it really puts me off. I've been on the fence about getting the game since I only have a PS3 but this is just making me want to wait until it's a lot cheaper.

It just sounds like they haven't really learnt a whole lot in the past.. 7-8 years? since P4 came out. It continues to solidify my opinion that Innocent Sin is the best Persona game I've played and that Catherine is my favourite Atlus/Persona team game since that.

It sounds like it didn't evolve as much as it should.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, if you like innocent sin i can see why you would hate persona post 3.

Meanwhile i can't stand playing innocent sin.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm honestly surprised by those P5 complaints. Sure, it has shortcomings, but as someone who got bored of P3 FES 12 hours in and P4G around ~20 hours (tried playing it twice iirc), I loved the heck out of the 120 hours it took me to finish P5.
I agree that some design choices are weird (insta kill spells when MC dying means game over, so many early evenings being wasted, high requirements for certain "basic" social links), but they were never enough to make me disappointed in the game as general.
Again, I was never a fan of the "flow" of P3 and P4. P5 felt much more streamlined (in a good way) and the non-random dungeons were a huge change for the better.

Jintor

i've tried to start p1 and p2 like three times and i just. don't. click.

i'm sure p2 has a great story and dope characters but i cannot get into it

kiyomi

Man, if you like innocent sin i can see why you would hate persona post 3.

Meanwhile i can't stand playing innocent sin.

I sure didn't like Innocent Sin for the way it played, but then interesting combat has never been a strong point of Persona to me. I'd argue the weakest point of 3/4 is the combat. I just dug the atmosphere and the weird places that the story goes. I just put it on the easiest difficulty and mashed my way through it. It also has one of my favourite character in games, Maya.

I definitely enjoyed what I played of 3, although I've never finished it, I would definitely go back to it. P4 ended up being something I binged on but never felt attached to in the way a lot of people seem to, and I had frustrations with some of the grind, combat and the general direction of the plot. The fact that P5 seems to have similar problems seems disappointing. I'll absolutely play it at some point, though. Maybe I'll love it.

I'm honestly surprised by those P5 complaints. Sure, it has shortcomings, but as someone who got bored of P3 FES 12 hours in and P4G around ~20 hours (tried playing it twice iirc), I loved the heck out of the 120 hours it took me to finish P5.
I agree that some design choices are weird (insta kill spells when MC dying means game over, so many early evenings being wasted, high requirements for certain "basic" social links), but they were never enough to make me disappointed in the game as general.
Again, I was never a fan of the "flow" of P3 and P4. P5 felt much more streamlined (in a good way) and the non-random dungeons were a huge change for the better.

My biggest issue with how P5 plays is that it's still the same 120 hour game that P3 was. The designed dungeons didn't mean much to me because the combat plays exactly the same and I've already played so many hours of it already. It's not like I want it to turn into another ARPG but they could be a bit more daring with the combat or how social links function.

Jintor

p5 is very much a refinement of the p3/p4 formula.

for me at least it's the last time they can get away with a straight upgrade with no major changes

Antiwhippy

My main gripe about the trilogy is that the story and narrative somehow regressed from 3.

At least 5 remembers that it is part of smt. Barely.

kiyomi

p5 is very much a refinement of the p3/p4 formula.

for me at least it's the last time they can get away with a straight upgrade with no major changes

Well you only have another 8 years to wait, so.

Persona's one of those series I like from the outside but I rather just play mainline SMT any day.

I've actually never played a single mainline SMT, or even any of the Devil Summoner stuff. Where would I start?

kiyomi

Well, I'm hoping it's a p3->p4 situation with the new engine and assets. But maybe I don't want another persona so soon

3-4 years would be alright.

I also remember people saying that the engine work for Catherine would make P5 a faster development...

Antiwhippy

I've actually never played a single mainline SMT, or even any of the Devil Summoner stuff. Where would I start?

SMT4A is the latest one and apparently pretty good. I liked SMT4 but you better get used to characters who might as well be cardboard cutouts. I heard apocalypse improves on that.

If you can get to the ps2 stuff than nocturne and the devil summoner series are very good.

spiritfox

Nocturne is a timeless classic, and SMTIVA is a good place to start even if it's a semi-sequel to SMTIV. But if you're the hardest of hardcore start with Strange Journey.

Antiwhippy

It is actually kind of amazing how headphones work.

A bunch of analog electric signals is somehow able to transform into sound.

Just listening to the Bombcast, and Jeff's story about sealed games.

We are Sealed Cannon Spike brothers!! Mine is EU though. Also, I am not sure why I own it, as i never owned a Dreamcast.

Anyway's this will always be my most favorite sealed object I will never open...

zT1igfJl.jpg

Why does it exist?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It didn't sound like he knew they could be opened in Excel/Google Sheets. His issue would take 5 minutes to solve if he knew what he's doing.

Opening a CSV with 13 digit numbers is a huge pain in excel because it automatically turns them into scientific notation that loses like half of the figures and there is no way to disable this. I deal with this frequently and its so stupid. There's some technical reason why it's that way, but I cannot believe that Microsoft doesn't get tons of complaints about this. I process a lot of sheets with USPS and FedEx tracking numbers, which are like 20 digits

LiK

Alright, time to catch up to the parts of Bombcast I missed yesterday. Ben's impressions about Persona 5 is still damn good.

Ohnonono

We are Sealed Cannon Spike brothers!! Mine is EU though. Also, I am not sure why I own it, as i never owned a Dreamcast.

Anyway's this will always be my most favorite sealed object I will never open...

zT1igfJl.jpg

Why does it exist?

That picture genuinely kinda creeps me out. Like something from an alternate dimension.

Xater

I am EXTREMELY surprised they were still making UMD video by the time Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out.

I am not that surprised by that, but more that anyone but Sony was still putting them out. How did anyone at Warner think this was a good idea?

zT1igfJl.jpg

Why does it exist?
cursed image

My first memory of seeing a PSP in person is my buddy who had one throwing on his I, Robot UMD. I was genuinely amazed at how good it looked at the time.

I'm curious what the quality looks like these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom