• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubbe

I know nothing about fighting games, so I would appreciate someone giving me a quick primer on Soul Calibur. Is it generally considered a pretty balanced game or are there certain characters that are considered "better" than others?

Jintor

I know nothing about fighting games, so I would appreciate someone giving me a quick primer on Soul Calibur. Is it generally considered a pretty balanced game or are there certain characters that are considered "better" than others?

that asshole with a long pole is generally regarded as the cheap braindead character

i have no idea if it's true, but i sure rage when i see him

Meguro

Banned
Like every Fighting Game, it has top tier and bottom tier characters.
Someone more familiar with the game could give you a detailed explanation of who that would be.

Every fighting game has top tier picks over other characters, and SC has never really had a solid balance to its games.

SC 2 is generally seen as best in the series, but it's not the game Dan grew up playing or whatever his reason for liking this thing is.

It's crazy not only is there is a new neir. But people are playing but and enjoying it.

Where was everyone 7 years ago

Was platnium that big of a draw?

It's crazy not only is there is a new neir. But people are playing but and enjoying it.

I haven't played either Nier (yet) but the impressions I've gotten is that old Nier had a great story but was severely flawed in multiple ways, while new Nier has none of those flaws.

Also yeah people love Platinum.

Meguro

Banned

Talking to people who started playing Taro games with Automata: Absolutely.
The actual merits of the Platinum gameplay aside, having that pedigree of action gameplay attached made a lot of people give the game a chance.
The demo also helped with that I imagine.

Hindl

The original Nier wasn't fun to play. Platinum games are fun to play. The brand recognition certainly helped, but I bet a lot of people who played automata and go back to the first one won't enjoy it

Meneses

Kilik (the dude with the staff) is definitely one of the "cheapest" characters, he has a lot of range and is quick. I really liked him because his moves looked cool.

edit: and Dan's description of Maxi is accurate, you press the buttons like 3 times and the dude keeps doing moves until next week.

patapuf

Kilik (the dude with the staff) is definitely one of the "cheapest" characters, he has a lot of range and is quick. I really liked him because his moves looked cool.

edit: and Dan's description of Maxi is accurate, you press the buttons like 3 times and the dude keeps doing moves until next week.

Link could be really silly too until you were used to play against him. so much range.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually got into taro with drakengard but never had the chance to play the OG nier.

I would honestly prefer a drakengard remaseter.

Jintor

yeah i've been watching old nier.

apart from anything else, old nier did not have a robot waifu as an mc, nor did it have platinum's slick-ass presentation and general combat feel.

it did have a girl waltzing around cursing like a sailor in lingere though. I'm not yet ashamed of my words and deeds, but I'm assured I will be.

The original Nier wasn't fun to play. Platinum games are fun to play. The brand recognition certainly helped, but I bet a lot of people who played automata and go back to the first one won't enjoy it

Talking to people who started playing Taro games with Automata: Absolutely.
The actual merits of the Platinum gameplay aside, having that pedigree of action gameplay attached made a lot of people give the game a chance.
The demo also helped with that I imagine.

I haven't played either Nier (yet) but the impressions I've gotten is that old Nier had a great story but was severely flawed in multiple ways, while new Nier has none of those flaws.

I agree the combat wasn't the draw but the story was so good I put up with it.

I'm just happy Yoko Taro is getting his due!

TheChits

Man I really want a new Soul Calibur :(
yeah i've been watching old nier.

apart from anything else, old nier did not have a robot waifu as an mc, nor did it have platinum's slick-ass presentation and general combat feel.

it did have a girl waltzing around cursing like a sailor in lingere though. I'm not yet ashamed of my words and deeds, but I'm assured I will be.

While Automata is an incredible game, I think I still prefer the first Nier. I have an adoration for those characters that is hard to beat.

Jintor

the voice acting is surprisingly top-notch even in OG Nier.

Dad Nier is great. Kaine is great. Grimoire Weiss is fucking faaaaaaantastic.

Emil is... Emil. I can't not hear his dumb shop song.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This Is The Run (and East content in general) continues to deliver. It think this is the only feature on the site, where I'm actually 100% focused on what's happening and can't play it as background noise for the enjoyable commentary.

Never played SC1, but I spent a bit some time with Soul Edge/Blade and over a hundred hours with SC2 on the PS2. The latter is definitely my favorite fighting game ever. I hated all the later games in the series though.

Hindl

I agree the combat wasn't the draw but the story was so good I put up with it.

I'm just happy Yoko Taro is getting his due!

Yeah I wish I could get through games where I wasn't enjoying the combat/moment-to-moment gameplay but had an excellent story/characters/world, because I've missed out on a bunch. Like the Witcher 3 supposedly set a new bar for open world games and storytelling, but I put it down after 15 minutes because I hated how Geralt moved. I even went back after the patch but still couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another shot one day

Meguro

Banned
The original NieR probably plays better than The Witcher 3.
Which is really saying something about the Witcher 3.

I actually got into taro with drakengard but never had the chance to play the OG nier.

I would honestly prefer a drakengard remaseter.
I would loooove a Drakengard 3 remaster.

SeanR1221

Pretty sure they did? Just about the PC port though.

Also regarding the Bombcast, i still feel like people focusing on the specs as a way for Microsoft tilting the balance their way is putting the cart in front of the horse. Microsoft really needs to start showing games because i feel like there's been next to nothing for the xbone for months now.

I'll be interested to see the reception of Scorpio, especially in the fall when it's going up against a cheaper PS4 with destiny 2, CoD WWII and Battlefront 2 marketing on one side and potentially a cheaper switch bundle (Mario kart?) with Mario Odyssey and Zelda sitting on the other side

This Is The Run (and East content in general) continues to deliver. It think this is the only feature on the site, where I'm actually 100% focused on what's happening and can't play it as background noise for the enjoyable commentary.

Agreed, except I also do this with BitE.

Automata has worse writing than the original Nier and C grade Platinum combat where you can cancel animations with dodge so there's no challenge and it doesn't have the tools to be creative with combos. I'd actually say the original Nier was more fun to play because it felt unique. I'm honestly not seeing why it's getting so much love.

Antiwhippy

Automata has worse writing than the original Nier and C grade Platinum combat where you can cancel animations with dodge so there's no challenge and it doesn't have the tools to be creative with combos. I'd actually say the original Nier was more fun to play because it felt unique. I'm honestly not seeing why it's getting so much love.

Because it's pretty good.

Meguro

Banned
Also like, you can animation cancel things with dodge not just in every Platinum game but every fast paced action game so that seems like a weird complaint to me.

My memory of Soul Calibur before playing it was GMR magazine putting it in every "here's some games" list and saying "this looks better than almost every Xbox game" in like 2003.

demidar

Also like, you can animation cancel things with dodge not just in every Platinum game but every fast paced action game so that seems like a weird complaint to me.

The DMC series generally doesn't give you free dodge cancels, which gives it a more deliberate and technical edge, unlike Bayo where you can cancel out of any part of any attack animation except for a few.

Well, not counting things like jump cancelling anywho.

uh bayonetta was like cancel animations into dodge: the videogame and it's still the best action game ever made

Combos/weapon variety were fun in Bayonetta (unlike in Automata) but the game was easy on every mode. Ninja Gaiden and DMC 3/4 were better action games due to them being a challenge, God Hand built its difficulty about the way you dodged/juked. Nier just feels another Bayonetta-lite Platinum game like most of Platinums recent output.

Jintor

i dunno, the challenge in bayo isn't in not dying, the challenge in bayo is in never being hit

but i kinda feel that way about all action games

Jintor

i do agree that automata combat is, like, b-tier platinum. not korra level, but kinda just metal gear rising level: entertaining and fun but not super technical and crucially there's no real point to finishing combos so it just kinda ends up mashy.

God Hand is a PS2 on PS3 game at least. That's a game I always wanted to like but it just never hit its stride for me. Action games to me are about flow. If I can't hit a good flow, it just never feels right.

Antiwhippy

The best thing about god hand is that getting a flow in god hand means the game gets harder for you.

Making it even more thrilling to maintain the flow.

More games should do that.

Meneses

God Hand is a PS2 on PS3 game at least. That's a game I always wanted to like but it just never hit its stride for me. Action games to me are about flow. If I can't hit a good flow, it just never feels right.

Yeah, I bought it day one and played through it a few times.

It's just that I don't have my Ps3 with me anymore, it would be great to be able to play it on the PS4.

Also, remember when Jason brought God Hand to UPF but ran out of time to play it because Brad (?) kept playing some browser game or something? Good times.

demidar

Only if your love of the combat system can carry you through the rest of the bad parts of the game, which have not been addressed.

Man Vergil is so fucking cool to play as. That guy can cancel out of almost everything unlike Dante or Nero.

Man GBeast is killing it. BitE was awesome, couldn't stop watching that. TitR is really good too, can't wait for more of both! I got soul calibur 2 on GameCube, was one of the first fighting games I ever got into. Played a whole lot of 2-5. I miss that series!

BearPawB

Banned
Man....Dan...
is not good at soul calibur lol.

I think by "it is the game i am actually good at" he means "it is the one fighting game where I memorized a few moves"

I love soul calibur though. I am happy to watch at least one more week of this This is the Run

Meneses

I remember playing Soul Blade with my friends and thinking the final fight as Mitsurugi was total bullshit, like you had to dodge rifle shots or something like that and the timing was kinda weird.

I can't remember if I actually beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom