• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Ryuji is a really well done teenage boy character. He's annoying and stupid and crass in believable ways, without becoming unlikable.

The fact that he totally lost his shit when they got found out, but then later realized he had gone too far in front of all of his friends and apologized for it was a great moment.

He's a good character.

Hasney

Fucking knew it.

9 is garbage and people who like 9 tend to hate 8. 7 fans dislike 8 because its not a direct sequel, but 9 fans are a whole other level.

8 is garbage and the type of people that like 8 deserve those shitty characters. Am I being hyperbolic enough now?

Currently trying to finish X for the first time though after quitting at some point. Fuck Tidus.

TheChits

The thing about Persona 5 is that, while I really loved the game, the main party characters are all pretty bad, except Makoto and Yusuke.

And someone else I won't talk about for spoiler reasons.

I strongly disagree with this.

Ryuji is a really well done teenage boy character. He's annoying and stupid and crass in believable ways, without becoming unlikable.

The fact that he totally lost his shit when they got found out, but then later realized he had gone too far in front of all of his friends and apologized for it was a great moment.

Yes

Meneses

Man, Ryuji is my least favorite along with Futaba and made me want to stop playing the game at various points.

I played hundreds of hours of DOTA2, and going to HOTS with friends for something different to play felt "slow/boring" to me.

I definitely think you have to use HOTS as a gateway drug to DOTA/LOL.

Definitely feel the opposite about HOTS. I played a bunch of League and Dota (and Dota 2) but HOTS is great because it cuts out so much of the bs and is much faster because of it. That being said I still enjoy watching Dota 2 pros.

6 is the best FF, no contest.

Curufinwe

Finished both. I think Nier is easily the better game.

The lack of variety to the side quests and the lack of depth to the combat and the smallness of the world means Nier is well below P5 and Nioh for me. When I discovered I could buy the rest of the trophies with in game currency and didn't have to play it any more after getting all the main endings, it was a big relief.

Jennipeg

FF8 will always be one of the worst in the series. Played it at launch and beat it. Felt like it was a missed opportunity. I have absolutely no good opinions about it. Poor writing, poor characters and a messy plot. Never understood how anyone can defend it. The best part was about Laguna but we get stuck with the bland dipshit Squall instead. Would've been 10x better if it was about Laguna and his squad instead.

... Its my favourite game :(

TraBuch

Banned
Zidane was a nice breath of fresh air. A care-free rogue after a couple of emo fuckboys. Tetra Master > Triple Triad. Best moogles. Best music. Most endearing characters. Equipment skill system thing > junction and materia. Best story. Best romances, all three of the major romances are better than anything in any of the other FFs.

The only thing FFIX does bad is the final boss.

Hasney

The lack of variety to the side quests and the lack of depth to the combat and the smallness of the world means Nier is well below P5 and Nioh for me. When I discovered I could buy the rest of the trophies with in game currency and didn't have to play it any more after getting all the main endings, it was a big relief.

Not got around to Nioh yet, but yeah, I agree about P5. I just ended up putting on the auto firing stuff and blasting through the end of Nier, but I loved the story aspect. I would rather find weaknesses and demon negotiate than that.

I feel like nowadays people don't get humor if it's ever so subtle.

It seems like a lot of people just want to be the person who confirms the joke just to try to make it "their" thing.

"HAHAHA, you fuckin see that guys? Vinny sure got Jeff, right! What Vinny meant was this is what happens when you mess with him! LOL 100 100!"

LiK

... Its my favourite game :(

:|

Zidane was a nice breath of fresh air. A care-free rogue after a couple of emo fuckboys. Tetra Master > Triple Triad. Best moogles. Best music. Most endearing characters. Equipment skill system thing > junction and materia. Best story. Best romances, all three of the major romances are better than anything in any of the other FFs.

Zidane was full of personality. Also, Vivi is the best. But yea, the bad guy was kinda lame.

Curufinwe

The gameplay is agonizingly slow.

Jennipeg

Hang on, I can accept any critisism of VIII, but this is too far. I never even figured out how to play Tetra Master, it seems to have some random element that makes it impossible for me. And VIII has the best music in the series.

Hasney

So since FF came up, I decided a while back to play through the 3 mainline 3D Final Fantasies I don't like; VIII, X and XIII. I started with Final Fantasy XIII as I had it on Steam for some reason and since I decided to force my way to the 20 hour point several people swear it gets good at, I actually came away with a worse impression. I just wanted everyone in my party apart from the dude with a chocobo in his hair to die a horrible death.

So I abandoned it until last week when people started talking about FFX on another podcast. Started playing that and got further than I did than back on the PS2 and... It's alright. I still want Tidus to fuck off and possibly Wakka too, but it grabbed me this time. So there's still a chance for VIII.

ev0

Someone at work just blared out the New Age Outlaw's theme music from their office. Please help.

Also, I recognized it so I'm part of the problem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They kinda just take breaks when they finish a major segment or when they feel they need a break. You can start now and watch the beginning later if you want. You can rewind the stream while it's live and they will archive the video for regular viewing.

Thanks. Will watch to the end. Didn't realise about the rewind which is cool. Love iPad picture in picture for stuff like this. Can watch while still browsing gaf

Hasney

Kingdom Hearts 1 remains the best game with Final Fantasy characters. I'm really itching to get a PS4 Pro so I can replay those games.

Well that's a factual lie

latest

I want to get Kingdom Hearts, but man, I need the time.

So, I'm watching this MLB The Show Quick Look and this retro mode is super weird. Also super weird? At about 20:15 Curtis Granderson is up to bat and Jeff grounds out to the second baseman. What is weird is that the CPU is playing with a defensive shift on, the second baseman is playing in shallow right and the shortstop is playing behind the bag at second. That's a very weird thing for this retro-style gameplay to offer.

daveo42

Banned
Fucking knew it.

9 is garbage and people who like 9 tend to hate 8. 7 fans dislike 8 because its not a direct sequel, but 9 fans are a whole other level.

I didn't want a direct sequel to 7. It was fine as it was when it ended. We didn't need an Advent Children or a Crisis Core (which was actually a lot of fun even if they did some super questionable things regarding...well most of the base storyline). I can enjoy each FF based on its own merits and 8 had the least redeemable qualities across the board. A super easy combat system to break out of the gate, a mostly forgettable world and characters (the gardens were cool), a real bad deus ex machina to tie everything together, and a uninspiring story that required some side research to piece together what everything was supposed to mean to begin with.

At least it gave us Triple Triad and that fan theory about Squall dying at the end of disc 1?

xenogears was pretty good

Xenogears is the best PS1 Square RPG. Probably the best PS1 RPG too.

daveo42

Banned
Here's a hot take for no one: Trails in the Sky's villains make Persona 5's villains seem nuanced and complex in comparison.

Isn't most of RPG GAF in love with that game? A bit shallow, but looking at some of the screenshots made me reconsider buying the game.

Mupod

Haru's cute. Don't get why people hate her.

I don't hate her, she's just introduced late and her entire thing is that she's Mitsuru if Mitsuru wasn't cool as shit. Kind of like how Ryuji is if Junpei wasn't a dick but also way less interesting. I don't hate them or anything, I just like everyone else more. I put them on par with P4 characters I guess.

At least Haru's all out attack splash screen is top tier, I'll give her that.

Definitely feel the opposite about HOTS. I played a bunch of League and Dota (and Dota 2) but HOTS is great because it cuts out so much of the bs and is much faster because of it. That being said I still enjoy watching Dota 2 pros.

I never played League but oh my god I've played so much DOTA, which is why I think it's funny when people seem to assume that I haven't. For me it's more like HOTS reminds me of what I used to like about DOTA back in the day, when I put hundreds of hours into the WC3 map. Before overly complex item recipes and before people just took it so goddamn seriously. I mean it was the map we played when we got tired of losing in arranged team and just wanted to play something simple.

I mean I'm no HOTS fanboy, I only come back for events and I never play it alone, but I gotta say I'm enjoying it more now than I ever did. A lot of the new heroes are much more interesting than the initial ones the game had. Some of them like Lucio are so intuitive to pick up that I didn't even have to read his abilities, everything just worked like I expected. Also I love opening loot boxes and am in no way ashamed to admit that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom