• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Finally got to the Bombcast's P5 update. Brad seems to think Persona has random encounters, and it's weird the way they always seem to talk about what steps you need to take for a perfect playthru like not being able to see everything your first time is a reason to not play it at all. I don't recall this logic being used with other games. And Persona 5 goes out of its way to make things more user friendly. Just by buying SP sodas and one SP-restoring item, I haven't had to leave a palace once due to running out of SP, and being able to pay the Fortune confidant to get you closer to ranking up other confidants is a huge new addition. I wish they had that in the earlier games.

Another example is how it gives a lot of experience to team members who aren't in active battles. I'm about to properly start the 6th dungeon and I think every character but the navigator is at the same level, and that happened without me really thinking about it. In P3 or P4 if you didn't make sure to regularly rotate your party lineup you could end up with some characters at a much lower level than your main people.

I've come to learn that Brad is completely clueless about the Persona series. I think he would actually enjoy it to some extent since he's not against JRPGs. He seems intimidated by it but there's nothing to be scared of.

Wunder

Another example is how it gives a lot of experience to team members who aren't in active battles. I'm about to properly start the 6th dungeon and I think every character but the navigator is at the same level, and that happened without me really thinking about it. In P3 or P4 if you didn't make sure to regularly rotate your party lineup you could end up with some characters at a much lower level than your main people.

Haha, Ben thought Ann was part Swedish cause she was blonde. She's part American.

Yeah when Ben was talking about having the ability to switch out party members mid-battle he kind of neglected to mention that there's also EXP share which pretty much keeps your inactive party at parity, enabling you to actually use the switch out mechanic only worrying about equipment.

Catvoca

Banned
my hope, my dream is that Hitman multiplayer resembles AssCreed's multiplayer, having every player juggle disguises and blending in, trying to kill their target without being found out

It would be cool if one player was playing like a regular hitman level trying to assassinate an NPC while another player is trying to find who the Hitman is and kill him. So you have to blend in as an NPC while trying to kill your target or you'll be caught by the other player.

Finally got to the Bombcast's P5 update. Brad seems to think Persona has random encounters, and it's weird the way they always seem to talk about what steps you need to take for a perfect playthru like not being able to see everything your first time is a reason to not play it at all. I don't recall this logic being used with other games. And Persona 5 goes out of its way to make things more user friendly. Just by buying SP sodas and one SP-restoring item, I haven't had to leave a palace once due to running out of SP, and being able to pay the Fortune confidant to get you closer to ranking up other confidants is a huge new addition. I wish they had that in the earlier games.

Haha, Ben thought Ann was part Swedish cause she was blonde. She's part American.
The Persona conversations on the Bombcast are so weird because it's one guy who's actually playing the game, one guy who can only talk about what he remembers from the previous game, and one guy who hasn't played anything but is trying to parse out what it is based on all the anecdotal talk he hears about it.

It's actually kind of my issue with the Bombcast as a whole nowadays: I feel like there's rarely any insightful conversation about actual games. They can talk about the industry news just fine but whenever they discuss games it's so surface-level that I feel like I rarely learn anything I didn't already know. Waypoint Radio, for all it's faults, tends to make me look at games from angles I had never considered before. I liked Patrick brought up how P5 plays into the fantasy of watching bad people confess to being bad, something which basically never happens in real life.

Mupod

yeah you can burn through Vanquish real fast, even on hard mode. I'll admit that pre-release I expected it to have lots of unlockables and extras like RE4 so I was a bit disappointed. But it was one of the most memorable shooters of that generation so I feel like I got what I wanted out of it. The challenges are really tough too, I think there's one I never even beat actually. At any rate, being 20 bucks should hopefully result in a lot less complaining about the game length.

I don't really compare it to Gears...I like both in different ways. I just love how Gears' shooting feels, I'm not gonna turn into Destiny Brad here but it does that one thing right and that's enough for me. I like the setting and characters too, but I'm mostly there for the gameplay. And Ice T.

Never got around to Gears 4 yet as I was waiting for SLI support, now that it's in I'm looking forward to that and Vanquish when I have time. I could use some shootbang after all the turn based RPGs and beat em ups.

So I'm playing Prey and am at the part where Brad is at the end of the quick look. I have to go to the main lobby and go in the elevator. But in the quicklook he runs into 1 bad guy and I have literally 4-6 roaming the lobby (they're the human sized ones that are difficult even 1-on-1) I don't know if it's a bug or if the game expects me to be able to kill them all, but I can't make it past this part even on the easiest difficulty... This is a major bummer.

EDIT: Huh, after dying about 6 times I reloaded again and it there was only 1 bad guy this time, so I could sneak by him...

When someone takes the last slice of pizza and you're gonna take the last wing as retaliation :)

giphy.gif

I am really liking Ben, I was a bit worried at first, but he is a super intelligent person who knows the industry and games. He is funny and fits in good.

Can't wait to see more Abby!

New Premium series - Brad watches The Best of The P4 ER.

On one hand, I understand Brad not watching the whole ER or even knowing a lot about P4. On the other hand, it's pretty crazy that Brad knows next to nothing about Persona despite the ER being probably the single most iconic series that they've ever done. Like, even if he watched a random single episode he'd instantly know about 50000% more than he does now.

LiK

On one hand, I understand Brad not watching the whole ER or even knowing a lot about P4. On the other hand, it's pretty crazy that Brad knows next to nothing about Persona despite the ER being probably the single most iconic series that they've ever done. Like, even if he watched a random single episode he'd instantly know about 50000% more than he does now.

The real Brad left. We're dealing with a clone.

Hasney

Decided to look at the QLCrew site y'all go on about and saw a Fortune Street TNT play. Man, as I play this game with my girlfriend a lot, I am finding myself wantint to just tell them how to play it. Only time I've ever done that, but it's not their fault, they went in mostly blind.

Man, I hope that new PS4 one comes out over here. Been playing a fan translated PS2 version recently with a sphere dice that just makes it even more mad.

Fireblend

Banned
So do we expect Abby to be an active participant in the podcast or does she have a more "behind the scenes" position? That's never been 100% clear to me. I really hope she does.

Hasney

So do we expect Abby to be an active participant in the podcast or does she have a more "behind the scenes" position? That's never been 100% clear to me. I really hope she does.

It's a production position, so probably behind the scenes on a lot of videos. Podcast wise, I guess we'll find out Friday.

LiK

Everyone at GB will eventually become active participants. EVERYONE.

I think Alex said she'll be on the podcast next week. Also Jason is always on the bombcast so no reason for Abby not to be on it.

I really liked playing Mankind Divided. Mechanically it's fun to explore and exploit the environment and either sneak past or take out enemies. I played through two times, one non-lethal and one a serial killer.

I really disliked everything else about it. In my first playthrough I eventually just started skipping dialogue without even reading it. I almost never do that. The writing was not compelling and I actively disliked all the characters you talk to (there was one I think I didn't mind but it's been a while and can't remember). The main story was straightforward enough but nothing special, but as mentioned the hints of other events happening are never resolved and now probably won't be outside of a comic or something.

I didn't care for it aesthetically either. I don't mind "gritty" environments but half the levels felt grimy in an almost "unfinished" way. Not sure how to properly express my feelings on that but it was a thought constantly in my brain.

I've never been a fan of the contextual actions. I got used to the 3rd person cover system in Human Revolution but I feel sticking to first person could have still felt good. I've played plenty of 1st person games where leaning around and over cover work just fine. I also really dislike the melee takedown system in that it's a contextual action, loads a cutscene and requires a resource to perform.

I much prefer how Dishonored feels to play in comparison and wish a cyberpunk game would be made closer to its style than how Square-Enix does. I am playing Prey right now and it's great but definitely not a power fantasy.

This seems to be how SE studios make those games. The new Thief game was also full of contextual actions, amongst its various flaws. Part of me is somewhat grateful that they probably won't be making more Deus Ex games because that gives me a sliver of hope that another studio will take up the mantle and make a game in the same style but with improvements more suited to my tastes.

I liked both games, but it is unreal how much better Dishonored 1 and 2 feel and control compared to Deus Ex HR and MD. In Dishonored I loved just running around whereas Deus Ex felt a decade behind with how stiff and clunky the controls were. This area in particular was a big disappointment going from HR to Mankind Divided, they had 5 years to sort that shit out.

I think we all have to wake up to the realization that GBW just doesn't want to play Persona 5. It's a dead period for games right now, and instead Jeff and Brad are playing clickers and Dota/Quake. Just accept the fact that it won't be on the top 10 list this year.

LiK

I think we all have to wake up to the realization that GBW just doesn't want to play Persona 5. It's a dead period for games right now, and instead Jeff and Brad are playing clickers and Dota/Quake. Just accept the fact that it won't be on the top 10 list this year.

Alex is the hero we need.

FluxWaveZ

Kinda been obvious for a while, though.

She has a background in improv comedy, and Vinny made a point of mentioning how funny she is in his little introduction. She's got a production role, but I don't doubt they'll be using her pretty heavily on the Beastcast and in videos.

daveo42

Banned
Fallout soon to be real as bombs about to drop. We are DOOMed.

I'm not counting on him. He picked Haru after all.

I like BotW more than Persona 5 don't kill me

Haven't played BotW and most likely won't until I get a Switch, so I don't have the comparison point.

Finally at the end of the Bombcast and I'm doing everything within my power to not puke. Ben really loves to mix bananas and whatever condiment he can find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom