• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmunk

Bummer about BioWare.

I am pretty excited to pick up ME:A for 19.99 soon though.

Ben has been an awesome addition, fits like a massive glove.

danm999

tumblr_nm45ovWcVV1rwdnt0o1_540.jpg

Finally Dr Manhattan put some pants on.

Inquisition was the functioning corpse of a game with absolutely no soul.

I continue to not understand why Bioware games are open world. They are bad at it.

Jintor

Jason's casual reminder that he too has led a crazy life made that rather pissweak would you rather alright.

Good choice Brad

danm999

To be honest I think BotW is a paradigm shift in open world design and freedom. Even Horizon suffered from the typical last gen open world issues.

Even Horizon has a somewhat satisfying open world loop. It's cribbing heavily from Far Cry, but it's satisfying.

Bioware games are a fucking chore, and then you come to a linear, narrative heavy portion that's actually good and you think why isn't the entire game THIS.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh to be fair the biggest change botw did was to give you the ability to climb everywhere. :p

Otherwise it's kinda an open world game?

There should really be a series where Dan plays platformers. He is made for it.
I actually hope publishers look at Breath of the Wild and go "Nah we can't pull that off" and make their games more linear instead.

The investors scoff. "You see that mountain? Make it like that."
Eh to be fair the biggest change botw did was to give you the ability to climb everywhere. :p

Otherwise it's kinda an open world game?

It's an open world with purpose. A surprisingly rare trait in the genre.

I think someone at Nintendo described it as "open air" which is really the best descriptor, because it really feels totally distinct from traditional open world games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Alex is as bad on Murder Island as I figured
'we need to go'
'we need to get out of here'
'we have to get out of here'
'we need to get out of here'

Antiwhippy

There should really be a series where Dan plays platformers. He is made for it.

The investors scoff. "You see that mountain? Make it like that."

I think someone at Nintendo described it as "open air" which is really the best descriptor, because it really feels totally distinct from traditional open world games.

Mmm that really tells me nothing.

Don't get me wrong the freedom of movement is a big game changer to me but otherwise it's a very well designed open world with fun places to explore, but doesn't really seem to break the mould of what an open world could be.

All open world games have purpose.

Like Assassins Creed. Stab things until you become the best.

Far Cry. Shoot the guy you're going for and shoot his things along the way

Horizon. Get revenge for friends and family.

Zelda. Kill Ganon.

They all have purpose. In fact they all have more purpose than Zelda, which starts at 'Kill' and stops at 'Ganon.'.

pizzacat

Banned
the freedom of movement is a big game changer
We talking vita here
All open world games have purpose.

Like Assassins Creed. Stab things until you become the best.

Far Cry. Shoot the guy you're going for and shoot his things along the way

Horizon. Get revenge for friends and family.

Zelda. Kill Ganon.

They all have purpose. In fact they all have more purpose than Zelda, which starts at 'Kill' and stops at 'Ganon.'.
It's more than just that and why zelda can played in short spurts, you the player can set goals and achieve them as fast as 10 minutes or as long as it takes to finish the first true quest "kill Ganon"

With a game like farcry (can't talk about horizon cuz lul) if you wanted to upgrade anything fully you'd take way more than 10 minutes and would become distracted by anything else because hunting animals is boring especially when the higher tier ones want a lot and they're all rare

Mmm that really tells me nothing.

Don't get me wrong the freedom of movement is a big game changer to me but otherwise it's a very well designed open world with fun places to explore, but doesn't really seem to break the mould of what an open world could be.

I think another key innovation in BotW is the paraglider. The ability to jump off from *anywhere* and get back to the ground quickly alleviates a ton of the frustration that you would normally have if, for example, you took 30 minutes to climb a mountain and there was no reward at the top. Instead of having the feeling that you wasted your time, you just shrug and jump off to tackle a new obstacle.

Ironically the closest "open world" game I can compare BotW to is Assassin's Creed, because in that game you can also climb anything and jump off anywhere (albeit into a haystack).

It's more than just that and why zelda can played in short spurts, you the player can set goals and achieve them as fast as 10 minutes or as long as it takes to finish the first true quest "kill Ganon"

With a game like farcry (can't talk about horizon cuz lul) if you wanted to upgrade anything fully you'd take way more than 10 minutes and would become distracted by anything else because hunting animals is boring especially when the higher tier ones want a lot and they're all rare

All open world games are literally the same.

"Oh I'm going to do this side mission in 10 minutes"
"Oh I'm going to hunt this resource for 10 minutes"

Zelda though? "Oh I have to track down a tower then find a town then hope there's a side quest there then go all the way across the map to do this side quest then find out I have to grind then run back all the way to the side quest person and hope I remember where he's at because no waypoints lol" and whoops there goes an hour of your time wasted getting sand boots.

Like I said, starts and ends at kill ganon. Everything else is fluff.

Antiwhippy

I think another key innovation in BotW is the paraglider. The ability to jump off from *anywhere* and get back to the ground quickly alleviates a ton of the frustration that you would normally have if, for example, you took 30 minutes to climb a mountain and there was no reward at the top. Instead of having the feeling that you wasted your time, you just shrug and jump off to tackle a new obstacle.

Ironically the closest "open world" game I can compare BotW to is Assassin's Creed, because in that game you can also climb anything and jump off anywhere (albeit into a haystack).

I think the fact that they make climbing more of an ordeal in zelda makes it more rewarding than AC, which just kinda automates it nowadays.

But yeah, just movement in general in BotW is a joy, and I even like shield surfing a lot, but the open world doesn't feel like a paradigm shifter. It's probably not even my favourite open world to explore? It's up there though.

I think the fact that they make climbing more of an ordeal in zelda makes it more rewarding than AC, which just kinda automates it nowadays.

But yeah, just movement in general in BotW is a joy, and I even like shield surfing a lot, but the open world doesn't feel like a paradigm shifter. It's probably not even my favourite open world to explore? It's up there though.

Yeah, the best part about the new Zelda is the free movement that they do. Everything else, from the equipment degrading, to the food gathering/cooking has been done before.

I guess I worded that poorly, but BotW's open world is designed like one gigantic level, rather than a lobby that delivers you to levels. The core gameplay loop is all about exploring the world, not traversing to the next instanced mission. It compliments this exploratory feel by giving the player total freedom in how to approach everything. And it is without a doubt the most sophisticated open world game of all time, expertly crafted in every respect, which makes its accomplishments all the more impressive.

Like, in spite of how much I enjoy The Witcher 3, I thought Xenoblade Chronicles X had the better open world of 2016, by virtue of how the open world was designed. BotW is this feeling times a thousand; I honestly don't know how anyone can surpass it.

strafer

Live Streams are not what they used to be.

It's mostly the studio, it's to closed in, almost clusterfobric.

The other studio was perfect for live streams.

Antiwhippy

I guess I worded that poorly, but BotW's open world is designed like one gigantic level, rather than a lobby that delivers you to levels. The core gameplay loop is all about exploring the world, not traversing to the next instanced mission. It compliments this exploratory feel by giving the player total freedom in how to approach everything. And it is without a doubt the most sophisticated open world game of all time, expertly crafted in every respect, which makes its accomplishments all the more impressive.

I feel like I can say all this about morrowind back in the day.

Antiwhippy

I mean, even then please spoiler or link images of half naked people in consideration for people browsing the thread while working?

I know it's fun to post for shock effect but yeah, be considerate.

Literally in the ps2/Xbox/gc era

Please tell me kids today don't actually think like this. I can't be that old. The Saturn was from the gen before the PS2, it was a contemporary of the PS1 and N64. The Dreamcast was technically of the PS2 era, but it died before the Xbox and Gamecube came out.

Antiwhippy

New page pls.

Bethesda games lack the mechanical depth for the comparison to work.

Back in the day though morrowind was insane.

I mean sure, compared to right now it's not a fair fight but if I have to choose which world I love more I'd still say morrowind?

Like I've said, the movement to me in zelda is the real game changer, just not the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom