• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Morrowind's world is better than BOTW but Zelda makes traversing the world fun. Although, Morrowind was back when Bethesda let players use spells and scrolls to break the world.

hot BOTW take: It's not that it does anything particularly differently, it's how it presents itself to the player, and how it puts agency back in the player's hands. It's remarkable just how much of a difference it feels like just to say "I'm gonna place that marker over there and then go to it" as opposed to looking at your map and saying "I'm gonna head to that marker the devs put there".

Also it's just a much, much better designed world than most. The sight lines are incredibly well thought-out, and letting the player go just about anywhere from the beginning is bold and makes the game feel more open than just about anything else.

Also it's much more emergent and systems-driven than most games of its kind. It's not wrong to say that it has more in common with Bethesda games than most open-world games. Both have lots of systems-driven interactions and let the player just kinda fuck about doing whatever they want.

Boiling it down to "well it's all been done before" is insanely reductive and also, like, yeah dude. Everything has been done before. It's all in presentation, execution, and combination.

It's got some problems though. There's not enough variety of things to actually discover (everything is a shrine or a korok seed) and there's a real lack of environmental variety in terms of how it actually feels to traverse places. Sure, there's visual variety, but it's all shades of mountainous regions. It could've used some more interesting structures like Hyrule Castle out in the world. It's got a shit reward structure too because finding weapons isn't that exciting and there isn't enough permanent gear to find. It's probably a bit too large for its own good considering the lack of variety.

Wait really? I thought it was from the nes era. I started gaming during the ps2 era and I don't remember the saturn.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that "it's been done before so it's bad", I'm saying that if it's called a paradigm shift in open world design I need more of a justification for it.

Gestahl

I can see now what people were talking about with Nioh here. I'm at the end of the third region and I'm just fucking DONE. The gameplay loop is atrocious and all the bloated systems that people mistake for depth just make it so that the game folds in on itself the instant you get decent gear and skills (I fought the last boss of region 3 last night and I wouldn't be able to tell you much about it besides its appearance since it died in like 10 seconds and I got the No Hit title on it). And I never want to step foot in another damp, dark, and poorly lit Japanese temple/village/hole in the ground again after this

Antiwhippy

I can see now what people were talking about with Nioh here. I'm at the end of the third region and I'm just fucking DONE. The gameplay loop is atrocious and all the bloated systems that people mistake for depth just make it so that the game folds in on itself the instant you get decent gear and skills (I fought the last boss of region 3 last night and I wouldn't be able to tell you much about it besides its appearance since it died in like 10 seconds and I got the No Hit title on it). And I never want to step foot in another damp, dark, and poorly lit Japanese temple/village/hole in the ground again after this

Yeah I love the combat and gameplay, but at some point I'm just done with the lack of variety. Still love my time with it, but I tend to just stop when I feel done with a game and don't force myself to finish it.

It needed more to carry itself beyond the 30 or so hours I've played of it but I really enjoyed those 30 hours.

SummitAve

Banned
I would play another Assassins Creed game if it just dropped you in an open world with a couple vague assassination quests and little other direction. I really only wanted to climb cooling looking things, enjoy the history and world, and have the ability to solve a few assassinations any way I want. Yet it has become more and more needlessly complex. I feel like open world games have been accumulating so much bullshit in their mission design and structure that I no longer have any desire or patience in engagaging with them. They've become open world in name only.

I continue to not understand why Bioware games are open world. They are bad at it.

Their first open world game won them a billion GOTY awards and had the strongest launch in studio history.

It was just bad luck that the paradigm shifted after Inquisition released, and Andromeda was probably too far into development

Antiwhippy

Pineapple, sardines, red onions, some fish sauce and tamarind.

Coming from SEA probably made me like pineapple on savoury food more than on sweets.

hamchan

I'm pretty interested in seeing queue times for old fighting games tbh. Like, how many people are still playing Soul Calibur 2 HD or something.

I didn't realize Bernie was a Linklater film. I've always meant to check it out, but that just pushes it up my list a bit.

It's an incredible black comedy crime film. It's based on a true story and mixes documentary conventions with fictional elements. Some of the people are actors and some are the actual townspeople playing themselves.

Kassu

Banned
I'm pretty interested in seeing queue times for old fighting games tbh. Like, how many people are still playing Soul Calibur 2 HD or something.
I tried Tekken 6 recently and didn't find anyone. I assume other Namco fighting games from last gen are more or less the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom