• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
It's an incredible black comedy crime film. It's based on a true story and mixes documentary conventions with fictional elements. Some of the people are actors and some are the actual townspeople playing themselves.

Bernie is an amazing film. The best, oddest bit from that film is (character "cameo" spoiler)
that Mathew McConaughey's mother lived in the same town and knew the actual Bernie the film is based on.
Blew me away. It's also one of Jack Black's best performances. I'd say School of Rock comes in at second because of the soundtrack alone.

Bernie is an amazing film. The best, oddest bit from that film is (character "cameo" spoiler)
that Mathew McConaughey's mother lived in the same town and knew the actual Bernie the film is based on.
Blew me away. It's also one of Jack Black's best performances. I'd say School of Rock comes in at second because of the soundtrack alone.

Bernie is a fantastic film. And that's an interesting bit about the mother living in the town lol.

Wow that Prey review thread sure turned into one of those crazy neogaf review threads as soon as IGN scored it a 4 for its bugs. Pretty much all of the bingo spots have been hit.

Wow that Prey review thread sure turned into one of those crazy neogaf review threads soon as IGN scored it a 4 for its bugs. Pretty much all of the bingo spots have been hit.

My favorite part is that the OP lists IGN Italy but not IGN proper.

What's next, Los Juegos Espot Mexico?

LiK

Ranking of Fighters always seems way too dull considering the subject. I seriously think they need one more person there. Jason and Jeff cannot seem to make this feature exciting to watch by themselves.

Ranking of Fighters always seems way too dull considering the subject. I seriously think they need one more person there. Jason and Jeff cannot seem to make this feature exciting to watch by themselves.

Well, it seems Ben is into fighting games, so, he'd be a nice addition.

daveo42

Banned
I'm just interested to hear more from Abby tbh. If Jeff is going continue to be a permanent spinning chair on the Beastcast, maybe GBEast should take over some of that swanky CNET space. Turn Beast into a video podcast.

I'm just interested to hear more from Abby tbh. If Jeff is going continue to be a permanent spinning chair on the Beastcast, maybe GBEast should take over some of that swanky CNET space. Turn Beast into a video podcast.
I said it in a prior OT but I would love to have the East crew do a video podcast. The visual is alway a nice addition.

Wow that Prey review thread sure turned into one of those crazy neogaf review threads soon as IGN scored it a 4 for its bugs. Pretty much all of the bingo spots have been hit.

Devil's advocate: it seems odd for an outlet like IGN to review the PC version of a game first, considering their audience

hamchan

It's kinda crazy that Ranking of Fighters is lacking a competitive aspect for a show about a genre that is all about competition.

I said from the start that the show should be an hour of them practicing, finding the right characters and learning moves, followed by a 2nd hour where they seriously compete with each other with the loser having to suffer some hilarious punishment, followed by a 10 minute ranking discussion.

Plus yes, the more people in this competition the more fun it is.

GBEast's This is the Run: Soul Calibur was super fun and better than anything on Ranking of Fighters because they were legitimately trying to beat each other.

Nerokis

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that "it's been done before so it's bad", I'm saying that if it's called a paradigm shift in open world design I need more of a justification for it.

"Has it been done before?" is just not a good metric for capturing innovation. "Newness" is vague, and the question kind of misses the point. Look at something like WoW. A lot of it was EverQuest-inspired, but a number of refinements, a difference of emphasis (convenience vs. ...I don't know, immersion?), and brilliant execution added up to a revolution in the MMO space.

Same thing with BotW. Now, I'm not quite sure it can be called a paradigm shift, but for me, the open world design did feel like a WoWish shift for the genre. Going in-depth on that would amount to rehashing what makes BotW's world so fantastic, and I'm not sure this thread needs that (...climbing simultaneously adds a new level of freedom, interactivity, and verticality; in addition to climbing, a lot of other interactivity - think runes, the "things work how you'd expect them to" aspect, etc. - is infused into the world, and this both blends with the world's more atmospheric touches and creates new venues for creative expression; there's a level of deliberateness that's unusual for world of that size and interactive scope; so on and so on). But yeah.

Basically, individual components might be seen in various other places, but holistically, it all comes together into something that just feels different. Going back to WoW again, it does that thing where it remains similar enough to exist in the same space as the other games we use as reference points for the genre, but also manages to be distinguished enough that going back to those games just isn't the same. Not necessarily better or worse, but...more revealing of what the genre has been.

By the way, the other aspect of the WoW comparison that's relevant here is that not everyone was impressed by it. BotW is certainly not a "how the fuck are you not blown away right now?" moment. For me, though, it definitely adds something new to the discussion around open world games.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Slowly inching my way up to a chicken dinner in PUBG. finished in 25th place, best I've done so far.

daveo42

Banned

I guess? I stopped playing XIV a few months after ARR came out. Was more excited when I thought it was the expansion and not just a few in-game items. Anyone want some hot codes for an MMO? I'll probably just dump it in the B/S/T thread.

ev0

Think about it like this Hitman died so KH3 can live

This is supposed to make me feel better? lol haha

As a fan of stealth games, while 2017 being a great year for games, I realized Hitman, Deus Ex are dead and the low sales of Dishonored and Prey probably killed the genre for all punlishers

yami4ct

I guess? I stopped playing XIV a few months after ARR came out. Was more excited when I thought it was the expansion and not just a few in-game items. Anyone want some hot codes for an MMO? I'll probably just dump it in the B/S/T thread.

You should start playing it again. HW is some of the best final fantasy I've seen maybe ever. Just a really interesting world and well told story. SB is looking hot as well

One of Ben's top 3 is Fallout 3?

I don't know the greater sin between that, the amount of hours he's got in Dota, and not knowing Cannon Spike. You're killin' me Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom