• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
You should start playing it again. HW is some of the best final fantasy I've seen maybe ever. Just a really interesting world and well told story. SB is looking hot as well

No can do. I've sworn off MMOs entirely after I realized I don't have the self control to put the game down and play something else. I really liked ARR too and I'm sure the game is still great, but it's definitely better for me and MMOs to stay far away from each other.

yami4ct

No can do. I've sworn off MMOs entirely after I realized I don't have the self control to put the game down and play something else. I really liked ARR too and I'm sure the game is still great, but it's definitely better for me and MMOs to stay far away from each other.

Join us in the land of playing one game forever. It's finnnnnne. We've got one of the best FFs ever made

Meguro

Banned
I'm really looking forward to Stormblood but I don't know how I'll find the time to actually play it.
It took me months to get to the level cap in Heavensward.

yami4ct

I'm really looking forward to Stormblood but I don't know how I'll find the time to actually play it.
It took me months to get to the level cap in Heavensward.
If you're just playing for the writing that's a perfectly good way to go. Work through the story at your own pace and then catch the patches once most of them are out. No real need to rush it unless you're desperate to do top end content, which is fun but it's a different thing.

oti

Banned
Holy shit, Brad must be so bummed. SE seriously suck as a publisher.

I imagine it's pretty difficult to balance the Western market, the Japanese market and the mobile market for any Japanese publisher, really. Only Nintendo can do all of those things at once.

Doesn't look too good for Capcom either.

daveo42

Banned
Join us in the land of playing one game forever. It's finnnnnne. We've got one of the best FFs ever made

Based on ARR, you are probably right, but I enjoy having free time and playing stuff other than an MMO.

How did FFXV end of their doing anyway? Did it end up covering what must have been absurd development costs?

I think they covered their dev costs day one. Game sold like hot cakes at launch because it was a new single player FF game that didn't include Lightning in any way.

Hasney

It's worth noting that a lot of the Versus budget had been written off a long time ago so XV didn't have as much to recoup as people think.

Yeah, either way, shipping 5 million (including digital sales) in 24 hours was pretty bananas. Also bananas that was the break even point even after writing down Versus.

yami4ct

(I've never been able to get into Dishonored. 1 was pretty good but I never did a full replay, and 2 I had to force myself through before I fell off about 80% of the way through)

They're fine action games, but I came into them being sold stealth and they are piss poor stealth games. Being godlike really disencntivzes and trivializes stealth mechanics and makes it so the easiest way through a situation is just gun your way out.

They're fine action games, but I came into them being sold stealth and they are piss poor stealth games. Being godlike really disencntivzes and trivializes stealth mechanics and makes it so the easiest way through a situation is just gun your way out.
I think my problem with Dishonored is:

-I dislike the find the collectibles to power up thing (hope you like hearing royalty free spooky whispers and screams for most of your exploration)

-The stealth always seemed wonky, and in 2 even moreso; the movement feels less precise and the guard AI felt like it could randomly be either blind or have super human vision

-I honestly do not care for the "whalepunk" setting. The environmental art is gorgeous (same guy who did Half Life 2!) but I can't get into the world, especially when the lore and storytelling is so scattershot (1 introduces a trillion concepts that barely matter, 2 exposits like a fountain for the first hour and then forces you to hear about how unfair it is to Emily that people don't like her because she was a terrible ruler who ignored all of the problems)

-I won't be one of those people who whines about being punished for going lethal, but as someone who will always be as nonlethal as possible on a first playthrough, even in 2 the nonlethal options are still dull compared to the lethal ones. It doesn't help how often a guard or NPC will somehow die off screen for no reason.

But if you went in wanting a stealth game why would you ever choose to gun your way out? I don't play these games to find the path of least resistance, I pick a style and do my best to stick to it. This is pretty much always going to be stealth and usually not touching anyone.

I see how the game being so easy can be a negative if you look at it from a game design perspective, and especially if you focus on it being a stealth game (though the developers never said it was exclusively a stealth game), but I just had so much fun playing through Dishonored this way that I can't call it a bad game.

And the movement in the first game is still top tier, like literally my favourite first-person movement. It's just so incredibly fluid and feels just right.

Honestly I feel Square did mostly right by Hitman. I remember seeing a LOT of Hitman marketing, relative to the 9 month rollout or whatever it had.

Gamers just suck. They're too thick to buy quality.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I don't actually think IO got hard done by SE. Hitman got quite a bit of exposure, even marketing wise.

Sometimes games just don't sell.

kiyomi

Funny, I can't even imagine doing a gun'n'run playthrough in Dishonored. I loved the stealth in the original game. Loved it.

The gaming industry is getting worse. Shit games succeed, great games and franchises die.

The glory years of gaming are behind us I think.

I'm not some old fart either, only 26.

fqxjcro6zjbm.png

What in the shit is this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom