• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yet quite a bit of the recent A tier budget level stuff from japan (nier barely hanging in the A tier) has been doing really well recently.

Condolences to IO but recent games seem to be doing very well honestly.

Meguro

Banned
2017 had some of the best gaming releases in years and we're now already back to "Gaming is dying!!!".
C'mon folks. IO getting sold off sucks but it's not the end of gaming as we know it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Mass Effect lost in space, Deus Ex hiding, Dishonored vanished, Hitman dead....man
A lot of good franchises were lost in the last couple of months.

At least we still have Sonic

Seventy70

I'm really liking Ben as the new hire so far. I'm not sure what it is, but he brings back some Whiskey Media/Old school GB vibes. It feels like Vintage Jeff is showing up more, especially in the new Demo Derby.

arghhhhhhh.

What are you "argh"ing about? I don't want to see Io die either but they made a great game, Square put a ton behind it and people still chose not to buy it. Business reality. Something's got to give.

I don't get why Square is bad. They're bad when they let their devs take 10 years to make a fucking Kingdom Hearts game, not for this.

Fantastapotamus

What are you "argh"ing about? I don't want to see Io die either but they made a great game, Square put a ton behind it and people still chose not to buy it. Business reality. Something's got to give.

I don't get why Square is bad. They're bad when they let their devs take 10 years to make a fucking Kingdom Hearts game, not for this.

That's my problem though. They are willing to spend an obscene amount of resources on Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy but Hitman and Deus Ex? Nah, kill it.

Yeah I don't actually think IO got hard done by SE. Hitman got quite a bit of exposure, even marketing wise.

Sometimes games just don't sell.

You don't shitcan a terrific studio because one game didn't sell, mostly because the previous game was terrible. Don't defend this.

The fact that Absolution sold despite being shit should be reason enough to give IO another shot. SE is just a terrible company.

Jintor

i'm arghing that people don't buy great games

that's not true. i'm arghing that people didn't buy a game i personally consider great.

but at least i get the game, so whatevs

Fantastapotamus

They made their money back on FF15 though.

And kingdom hearts will sell.

I'm honestly not sure if they did though. I mean the game sold amazingly but they worked on it how long? Good on them if they did though.
But anyway, I'm not saying they should kill FF and Kingdom Hearts, just that immediately shutting down an IP and selling the developer is a shitty move just because one game didn't sell.

Just Cause is probably dead as well

Hasney

I'm honestly not sure if they did though. I mean the game sold amazingly but they worked on it how long? Good on them if they did though.
But anyway, I'm not saying they should kill FF and Kingdom Hearts, just that immediately shutting down an IP and selling the developer is a shitty move just because one game didn't sell as much.

They said they broke even within 24 hours on FFXV.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And square enix is fucking weird too in that despite all this they also do stuff like somehow thinking it was a good idea giving the drakengard/nier series another go.

I mean it worked out, but it made no sense at the time.

xuchu

Wait, what's happening with IO. Got the disc version of hitman season 1 after seeing so much of it on giantbomb and it's one of the best gamey games I've played recently. Was the game as a service model, free and constant updates making it too expensive to make or maintain. And is season 2 dead in the water now?

Dave Lang needs to buy them. He'll do right by them.

Nier was likely heavily cost-managed... dev was like 2 years and it's Platinum, who know how to get shit out of the door.

Resi 7 feels the same way. Japan's future is in focused games with short dev cycles. Nier is hopefully a wake-up call to Square of how all their games could be made.

Jintor

Wait, what's happening with IO. Got the disc version of hitman season 1 after seeing so much of it on giantbomb and it's one of the best gamey games I've played recently. Was the game as a service model, free and constant updates making it too expensive to make or maintain. And is season 2 dead in the water now?

Dave Lang needs to buy them. He'll do right by them.

speculation is squeenix have already invested in s2 so they'll punt it out there and sell off IO when it's done

oti

Banned
Nier was likely heavily cost-managed... dev was like 2 years and it's Platinum, who know how to get shit out of the door.

Resi 7 feels the same way. Japan's future is in focused games with short dev cycles. Nier is hopefully a wake-up call to Square of how all their games could be made.

Yeah, that's what I expect too. At some point Japan will have to accept they can't compete on this new AAAA level with the West anymore. Japan makes games Japan and the hardcore fans in the West like and that's fine. But that's not where the most money (especially in the Japan video game market) is anymore. Add in some ridiculous mismanagement (hello Final Fanatsy, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter) and I wouldn't be surprised if more companies follow Konami's example.

All of this makes Nintendo even more remarkable, they can make games for Japan and the West and it all seems to effortless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly I feel Square did mostly right by Hitman. I remember seeing a LOT of Hitman marketing, relative to the 9 month rollout or whatever it had.

Gamers just suck. They're too thick to buy quality.

When they announced hitman was going to be episodic, didn't they get a ton of shit for that approach? May have poisoned the well before the actual quality of the game was able to show through

Fantastapotamus

When they announced hitman was going to be episodic, didn't they get a ton of shit for that approach? May have poisoned the well before the actual quality of the game was able to show through

Just reading the thread and seeing so many people still complaining about the episodic nature makes my heart sink. What a perfect approach for this game.

Ben is very good at explaining mechanics and what he does and does not like about games.

I am just not sure he is the entertaining replacement we were hoping for. He is good though, chill and fun.

Hasney

I've been very entertained by Ben already, so I'm happy with that. That laugh during the email directed at him was brilliant.

demidar

Ben is very good at explaining mechanics and what he does and does not like about games.

I am just not sure he is the entertaining replacement we were hoping for. He is good though, chill and fun.

Give him some time to grow a bit. Not everyone's a natural at entertaining or has killer comedic timing like Jeff

Fantastapotamus

Why do all the games I like fail and all the games I don't care for succeed.
I'm cursed.

Edit: Ben is good. And he just started there. He'll get even better with some time

Give him some time to grow a bit. Not everyone's a natural at entertaining or has killer comedic timing like Jeff

For sure, I just can't see him being a driving ball of energy like Dan was. I think the thing is he DOES fit in perfectly to GBWest and perhaps is too similar, we already have Jeff and Brad. I'm not knocking him at all, I just enjoyed that Drew and Dan were kind of different to those two.

Ben has an annoying laugh. Both his real one and the fake one he does.

Other than that, I think he's real good so far. He needs to bring some features to the table though.

And stop talking about fighting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom