• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

I always hate listening to him talk about stuff like that. It always comes off as very dismissive and 'old Dan'. Anytime he mentions normal guy stuff really.

I love how Vinny just dismantled his entire argument under 5 minutes. He even mentioned he didn't even see the game in motion and then continues on to compare it to Pokemon!

Jintor

Gotta say P5 combat has finally got that sweet spot for me where I'm actively enjoying the dungeon crawling for the most part. Though maybe that's because I've mitigated the bullshit somewhat.

hamchan

I always hate listening to him talk about stuff like that. It always comes off as very dismissive and 'old Dan'. Anytime he mentions normal guy stuff really.

Yeah it's not likeable when Old Dan comes out and just dismisses stuff for no reason. I just kinda think "you idiot" in Jeff's voice and tune him out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say P5 combat has finally got that sweet spot for me where I'm actively enjoying the dungeon crawling for the most part. Though maybe that's because I've mitigated the bullshit somewhat.

I've been enjoying it because i can pretty much blow through it right now.

Persona's battle system is easygoing which is a strength of it. Pokemon's battle system is way deeper.
Maybe if you're playing competitively or something. If you're playing casually the Pokemon games are so dead easy that the entire combat system is "use the type it's weak against and don't use the type it's effective against."

Just going through my console collection at the moment and I really need to get it organised. All the cables have been lumped in together so they're a tangled mess.

What I really want is to have all the console displayed (which I dont have the room for) and then to have their own storage back hanging somewhere that has all the cables and controllers so they are kept separate.

Does anyone know of any good storage bags that good work for something like that? I'm considering just giving each console its own storage box but again that would use space I just don't have.

Zabka

"Dan Rules" Soul Calibur reminds me of my old roommate who would call "No throws, no ring outs" and then talk about how good he was after claiming victory by disqualification.

Opening of Beastcast was hilarious, then
Internet Dan
showed up and I lost it.

Also Beast in the East deadline is August 29th because apparently they're gonna do Kiwami...

Jintor

Yeah I suppose I'd agree that the RPG stuff doesn't need to be deeper. Just saying it's funny to see someone compare it to Pokemon like that's a bad thing.

Does Dan have an actual impression of Pokemon's absolutely ridiculous depth, or does he think it's just match the type to the weakness rinse repeat?

actually i probably shouldn't ask questions i can probably intuit the answers to

Zaph

JRPGs are very esoteric and generally put off a lot of people. Dan's attitude is only surprising if you use places like GAF as a barometer.

kiguel182

Well, should've skipped the MGS bit at the start, now got slightly spoiled on MGSV. Not a big enough spoiler since they didn't went into details or whatever (and I knew there was a twist) but still, bah.

I really need to finish that game. I just got to chapter 2, still some ways to go!

oti

Banned
Well, should've skipped the MGS bit at the start, now got slightly spoiled on MGSV. Not a big enough spoiler since they didn't went into details or whatever (and I knew there was a twist) but still, bah.

I really need to finish that game. I just got to chapter 2, still some ways to go!

Or... YouTube.

Houndi101

4 hours in on Persona 5 and still in tutorial ville.
Not sure if I should look into min maxing your free time or just wing it?
I'm sure Dan would enjoy my main character pun name...
Johnny Cenafune

Hjod

Banned
The only JRPG I've played is Bloodborne (is Bloodborne a JRPG?), wait is Yakuza a JRPG?

I've played Lagoon also, way back in the day, I was twelve haha.

And for the record, I don't think I'll ever get into or play a JRPG in the style of Persona, Pokemon or FF and my reasons are probably even worse than Dans reasons.

Wunder

4 hours in on Persona 5 and still in tutorial ville.
Not sure if I should look into min maxing your free time or just wing it?
I'm sure Dan would enjoy my main character pun name...
Johnny Cenafune

It eases you into more and more activities/social links and more time to do it. I'm usually paralyzed when a game gives me tons of choices and it's happened to me for this as well, but I realized that there's so much time in the game to pursue what I want to do that I just decided to wing it and go for whoever I thought was the most interesting. As you progress there are certain times/days/weather conditions where doing an activity might be more beneficial so that's the only thing I'd keep in mind.

Houndi101

It eases you into more and more activities/social links and more time to do it. I'm usually paralyzed when a game gives me tons of choices and it's happened to me for this as well, but I realized that there's so much time in the game to pursue what I want to do that I just decided to wing it and go for whoever I thought was the most interesting. As you progress there are certain times/days/weather conditions where doing an activity might be more beneficial so that's the only thing I'd keep in mind.
Cheers, I'll try following in your footsteps

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Finish 😏

Hjod

Banned
Yes and yes.

Dan likes both of them, and they both don't have turn based combat.

Could be he just doesn't like the turn based combat then, hmmm.

Anyone doubting Zelda will win GOTY over at videogames.com? The whole crew has played it and seems to love it.

I'm hoping Yakuza wins Styyyyle, just for the Majima introduction.

Jintor

I'm just wondering if anyone besides Alex will play enough Nier to mount a case for it to make top 5.

If Alex gets steamrolled on it it might sneak in at 9 or 10 depending on if anything else out this year is good. Unless someone else, preferably two others (or Jeff) is blown away by it I think it might get stepped on by Horizon.

Hjod

Banned
I'm just wondering if anyone besides Alex will play enough Nier to mount a case for it to make top 5.

If Alex gets steamrolled on it it might sneak in at 9 or 10 depending on if anything else out this year is good. Unless someone else, preferably two others (or Jeff) is blown away by it I think it might get stepped on by Horizon.

During the latest bombcast Jeff seems to like the story so hopefully he'll play enough.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh man.

Let's just say that my Persona 5 playthrough has been carefully constructed so that it will come to ruin.

On valentines day.

daveo42

Banned
I hope Jeff fights hard against Zelda to make things interesting.

He won't do that because that just leaves a gaping hole for Brad and Destiny 2 to walk through to #1. I think Jeff will like Destiny 2, but he's not going to let be their GotY.

I'm hoping to see Jeff form a secret alliance with Vinny for Persona 5 GOTY

You'll get Alex fighting for it and that's about it.

Meguro

Banned
I'm not convinced P5 will even be on any of the guys top 10 at this point.
And hey, if Destiny 2 is GOTY material I'd totally be okay with it winning.
It would mean that they made the game Destiny 1 could've been.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm surprised everyone has confidence in destiny two being good.

I've got no confidence in that game. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom