• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Destiny 2 just needs some sort of story and it'd be a great game.

i expect a lot of "best game if I had actually played it" for P5.

Alex will probably be the one to get it in at #10 similar to Vinny's situation with The Witcher 3. It'll get mentioned in a bunch of other categories and then panned because no one else played it. It might actually make the Style short list.

Xater

Looks like me falling asleep during the Beastcast was not that bad. Missing out on Dan being an idiot about P5 I am fine with.

Hindl

It's hilarious how Vinny figured out if you simply sidestep you can beat Dan at Soul Calibur
He already did quite a number on it.

Menus, stamina, dungeon design, etc. etc.

Yeah but he acknowledges that it's an incredible game with a lot of cool pieces. It won't top his GOTY, he probably won't even finish it, but I think he won't be able to mount an argument against literally everyone else.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh sweet it's Friday .. can't wait for the next Film and ..

oh :(

well at least I'm watching Fate of the Furious tonight.

Jintor

you can't change dan's opinions and genuine likes/dislikes, but man, he's never going to accept he likes anime bullshit is he

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've started this journey and I will complete it! Now I just have to.

Also, without spoiling it please, it's the repeated missions the reason people say it's unfinished or something else?

no it's not. I can't say anything further without spoiling it though. honestly I had a lot of fun with it, people will say otherwise, but the journey is quite fun.

hamchan

Alex is the best with the "perhaps you aren't articulating this correctly" to Dan because I kinda felt what Dan was talking about even if his words were all wrong.

Jintor

Right, like, I understand that Dan likes a particular type of aesthetic to his anime bullshit, but the words he actually uses to describe his preferences always seems to come out as "It can't be tooooo crazy. unlike metal gear, which is 100% realistic".

which is obviously not what he's trying to say, except somehow he always ends up saying words to that effect

Persona 5 feels like a weak mad lib of Persona 4 imo. Story, characters and dialogue aren't anywhere near as good. I'm struggling to keep going but I kind of want to finish it just to see where it goes (nowhere slowly, so far)

He won't do that because that just leaves a gaping hole for Brad and Destiny 2 to walk through to #1. I think Jeff will like Destiny 2, but he's not going to let be their GOTY.

I mean, are we really speculating what the duders are gonna think about a game in 7.5 months which we haven't even seen yet? 😛

I'm surprised everyone has confidence in destiny two being good.

I've got no confidence in that game. None.

Agreed, unless they chnage it up significantly I have zero interest in it. Put 100-150 hours into Destiny 1 (before the first DLC) and never picked it up again. Had a lot of fun but it was still a big disappointment for me. Did not live up to what they promised at all.

Meguro

Banned
Persona 5 feels like a weak mad lib of Persona 4 imo. Story, characters and dialogue aren't anywhere near as good. I'm struggling to keep going but I kind of want to finish it just to see where it goes (nowhere slowly, so far)

Ha, I feel the exact opposite.
This is the kind of Persona game I wanted after 3.
Then again I'm not the biggest fan of 4.

Jintor

i feel like p5 is about a league ahead of p4 in terms of presentation and UI and a lot of mechanics, about on par for characters, and about a half step back in terms of overall story so far

kiguel182

no it's not. I can't say anything further without spoiling it though. honestly I had a lot of fun with it, people will say otherwise, but the journey is quite fun.

Now I'm more curious! Hopefully I'll notice it.

I think the game is fun but it's too much game. I feel like you could've cut some filler for a tighter experience.

But I really enjoy playing it, except for fighting the skulls.

Pretty tired of Dan's Metal Gear defense when discussing sci-fi/fantasy stuff. Kinda wish they'd just let him say it's not for him and drop instead of pushing him to say this "well you see that was nanomachines" nonsense.

As per usual Dan's defense of anything is usually pretty shitty.

Also all the stuff he's "defending" as liking happens in Persona as well.

I hope Vinny continues to call him out everytime

daveo42

Banned
I mean, are we really speculating what the duders are gonna think about about a game in 7.5 months which we haven't even seen yet? 😛

That's the nature of GotY.

I think my biggest knock on it so far is that it skews too far towards an episodic feel as opposed to a more solid single story, even past the halfway mark. I would have liked something closer to Persona 3 in terms of story direction, but the atmosphere I wanted is there. Plus, each section ranges for pretty good to amazing. Even though I played P4G first, it's definitely the weakest Persona I've played.

Curufinwe

As per usual Dan's defense of anything is usually pretty shitty.

Also all the stuff he's "defending" as liking happens in Persona as well.

I hope Vinny continues to call him out everytime

I don't think they need to keep doing that with Persona since that isn't the kind of game he'd be into no matter how realistic, or "Metal Gear-realistic" the story was.

I think my biggest knock on it so far is that it skews too far towards an episodic feel as opposed to a more solid single story, even past the halfway mark. I would have liked something closer to Persona 3 in terms of story direction, but the atmosphere I wanted is there. Plus, each section ranges for pretty good to amazing. Even though I played P4G first, it's definitely the weakest Persona I've played.

Yeah the villain of the week stuff isn't great, because none of the villains (except for the first one) have earned their status. And the game only pays lip service to the evils that these villains represent. There's far too much telling, and not nearly enough showing. It all just seems super shallow to me. Palace
was the most interesting from a story perspective because it broke this formula and was more like Persona 4's dungeons, which is telling.

Jintor

Yeah the villain of the week stuff isn't great, because none of the villains (except for the first one) have earned their status. And the game only pays lip service to the evils that these villains represent. There's far too much telling, and not nearly enough showing. It all just seems super shallow to me. Palace
was the most interesting from a story perspective because it broke this formula and was more like Persona 4's dungeons, which is telling.

oh yeah, dungeon 4 has definitely been the standout so far.

I think it is 100% a matter of being able to tie everything together and maybe i'll write something about it in future

Catvoca

Banned
For someone who spends their life talking about videogames, Dan can sometimes be very poor at articulating why he likes or dislikes something.

Rainmaker

Banned
Dan knows it's a dumb defense. He's not taking that seriously at all and I'm not sure why some of you are. It's just something to laugh at.

Dan makes absolutely no sense trying to explain why he won't play Persona 5. Like I just had a baffled look on my face when he brought up Metal Gear and Yakuza.

Alex was very on point regarding Dan's articulation of his own likes.

I hope that Dan can someday expand his horizons in stories like he has with food. I don't doubt that he honestly doesn't feel an affinity for magical stuff, I just think that's tragic because that's a massive percentage of stories, a lot of them good.

I think Dan just needs to say "I enjoy science/tech-magic and don't really like traditional magic magic" and it'll get his feelings across well enough in a somewhat succinct way.

Mupod

same here pretty much. I think 5 has a much closer feel to 3 than 4. I've still got half the game to go, and the back half is where 3 started getting dark, so I can't fully compare them yet. But that's just my current take on it.

P3 had a huge impact on me when it came out and 4, while good, just felt like more of the same except less interesting. Persona 5 is to 3, what 3 was to JRPGs of its time. It takes a long look at what made that game good, doubles down on the style and streamlining, and fixes almost all the problems I had with it.

I prefer SMT demons and negotiation over fighting Shadows. I love that they kept the randomly generated dungeons while also putting in traditional well-made RPG dungeons for the story stuff. It takes the good stuff out of their other games and uses it intelligently. Only complaint I can think of is that I don't like all the characters as much as past games, but the ones that didn't grab me immediately like Yusuke are definitely growing on me.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Dan knows it's a dumb defense. He's not taking that seriously at all and I'm not sure why some of you are. It's just something to laugh at.

maxresdefault.jpg

daveo42

Banned

Variation on the deadline conditions also play into that feeling. Persona 4 it was cause you have to save a persona before they are killed by shadows and "try" to gleam more information on the person throwing people in to the TV and why. As for showing, I think it relies a bit on knowledge of the current world and actual events to help drive you forward and let you know how big these shitbags are.

oh yeah, dungeon 4 has definitely been the standout so far.

I think it is 100% a matter of being able to tie everything together and maybe i'll write something about it in future

I think Palace 1 and 4 have been standouts for different reasons. The first being the stakes for not only you but those around you. The fourth being (minor spoiler)
the more personal story of the dungeon itself in relation to the character.

I am interesting in where all this heads, but I have a feeling I know based on some of the events that have happened so far in the game.

Jakoo

For someone who spends their life talking about videogames, Dan can sometimes be very poor at articulating why he likes or dislikes something.

Yeah, I agree. I understand not liking the aesthetics of something but I feel like some of my favorite games as of late came from games I didn't expect to like based on the aesthetics (Dragon Quest Builders, Nier Automata)

He should give more games out of his comfort zone a chance. I feel like he had no interest in games like Stardew Valley and it became his GOTY last year.

Personally, I haven't picked up Persona not due to aesthetics, but how long it seems to take to beat, lol.

Knowing that you're saying dumb things doesn't really change that they're dumb things. People are just saying, hey, that's pretty dumb, not sure why you think people are being super serious about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom